Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Speaking of filters
RE: Speaking of filters
(06-25-2015, 11:04 AM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Wow. Such overkill (in my opinion). Put the CPAP up off the floor. Done.

If the dog is not allowed in the room, the only fuzz coming in is what you bring in on your clothing. There's not going to be that much, if any, sucked into your filter. It's not a window fan, it's a wee little blower sitting by the bed.

I have dogs, cats, and an old house with high ceilings. We run window fans vs AC. I live in a rural area. My critters are everywhere, including my bed. I've looked inside my old S9 Escape (as in I took it apart a while back) and there were no critter fuzz inside the machine. I've found some on the filters, sure, but not that many.

You probably breathe in more dog dander and fur through your mouth and nose just living in the house than your CPAP ever will.
A very sensible reply. I have an S10, and I have replaced the filter exactly once after six months of use. My cat sheds constantly with hair on the floor and furniture, even though I brush her regularly. I have to use a dust buster to clean it up almost daily, yet I've not seen a single hair in the filter. First, my S10 has a grid in the filter door consisting of a matrix of holes that would almost certainly trap hair, but not dander. Also, if you've ever placed your hand near the filter inlet, you will feel that the suction is negligible, so any hair would need to drift very close to the filter grid to have any chance of getting sucked against it, and then it would only be trapped as long as the CPAP was turned on. IMO this is a non-issue.

Post Reply Post Reply
The plastic filter material similar to what is used on a split system air conditioner will best remove hair, but I agree that you shouldn't have any trouble with the low amount of airflow that a CPAP machine has.
Post Reply Post Reply
On the intake of mine it has a very coarse foam filter that you can wash every couple of months and I have an in hose very fine filter that I have to change about once a month when it turns black enough. They aren't cheap though so I tend to stretch the amount of time it lasts.

Machine: Philips Respironics BiPAP AutoSV
Post Reply Post Reply
You seem to have a ResMed - just get the HEPA filter they offer, and you will be fine. 4 dogs and a ton of pollen/dust here, and no issues.

Dave
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for all of the informative replies. I have several HEPA filters on the way. I am no longer concerned about the machines. As for me, I have built in protections system. Sneezing Wink

Jeff
Post Reply Post Reply
My new HEPA filter arrived today. I ordered it from one of the internet suppliers. It cost $11.97 with shipping! A lot to pay for a tiny little filter. At least now I have a spare, in case Bella the Princess dog manages to get hair into my filter. She gets it everywhere else, so why not? I'm prepared now.

Jeff
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-27-2015, 07:18 PM)joabo Wrote: On the intake of mine it has a very coarse foam filter that you can wash every couple of months and I have an in hose very fine filter that I have to change about once a month when it turns black enough. They aren't cheap though so I tend to stretch the amount of time it lasts.

Machine: Philips Respironics BiPAP AutoSV
Hi joabo,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Resmed AS10 vs AS11. Are hoses/filters interchangable? plpauly 2 92 03-26-2024, 08:30 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Equipment] Should I turn on the AB Filter option on my AirSense 10 AutoSet for these filters? cLoo 10 840 03-22-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  [Equipment] Cleaning filters bookwyrmtoo 2 396 12-20-2023, 09:45 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [CPAP] Airsense 11 filters mmrams13 32 9,469 09-06-2023, 05:21 PM
Last Post: turbo
  [Equipment] Filters in general and the ResMed 11 Cpapian 3 831 06-25-2023, 12:03 PM
Last Post: Melman
  DreamStation 2 Filters & DME's StratCat48 2 508 04-19-2023, 02:19 PM
Last Post: StratCat48
Question [Equipment] Who sells ResMed's AirSense 10 HypoAllergenic filters most cheaply, for Canada? StackExchange 1 534 12-03-2022, 01:12 PM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.