Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Strangled. ResMed S9 Elite Broken? Restarts Over and Over.
Gross 
Strangled. ResMed S9 Elite Broken? Restarts Over and Over.
First time here and first post. I'm so grateful for this forum that I can't express my appreciation enough.

I really did search the forum but could not find a thread where this might belong. Please let me know if there is a better place for this post. No sleep = no brain. Thanks!

Issue:
My ResMed S9 EPR fails to make it to the Home screen. When I turn it on the Power Button blinks and then the screen shows the ResMed logo but it never goes any further. It then turns itself off and appears to try again with the same result. It repeats this for hours and never shows an error.

I had very little sleep last night and still have a very sore throat. I have severe apnea and need the machine badly. What do people do when these things stop working on a weekend? Do I have to endure two more nights like this until Monday when businesses reopen?

There must be someone else who has faced this problem. I'm so hopeful for your help and can't tell you how much I appreciate you.

Tried:
- Unplugged for an extended period of time in an attempt to reset the machine
- Took out ResMed SD card and tried. Put in SD card and tried. Locked and Unlocked SD card with no luck.
- Held down the Power button for an extended period of time with no result
- Held down the two buttons to get into Setup but since it never gets to the Home screen nothing is working

It feels like I was strangled over and over all night. Yikes!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Strangled. ResMed S9 Elite Broken? Restarts Over and Over.
I would say it sounds broken... sorry for that! One more thing to try is just the blower without the humidifier; the fault could be there rather than in the blower.

as to what people do when faced with non-working equipment... some options:
1. have a backup machine
2. have a 24x7 dme (ya sure!) with loaners
3. rent a machine
4. sleep in a recliner and wait it out

I would suggest that while you are waiting for the S9 Elite to be repaired would be a great time to get a new machine and the repaired S9 can become a backup - if money is no barrier you can next-day air one from one of the suppliers and suffer for a shorter period of time.... If like many, money is a barrier, your solution may need to be different.
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you DariaVader!
Good advice on the backup unit. It's going to be tough without one. I did try the "just the blower" but it still didn't work.
Good luck on the placebo for your malingering hypochondria!
Post Reply Post Reply
It sounds like you've done everything you can do as a user. You may want to call Resmed support. It is likely they've seen this problem before. Ditto on the backup machine if you can't do without it for a few days.
Post Reply Post Reply
May not be the actual machine. If the power brick is kaput, the machine will not "boot."

If you know anyone with an S9 that would let you try their power brick...
Only a ResMed S9 power brick will work due to a 3rd wire and pin.

One thing to add to the list: I keep a spare power brick.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-31-2015, 01:31 PM)justMongo Wrote: May not be the actual machine. If the power brick is kaput, the machine will not "boot."

If you know anyone with an S9 that would let you try their power brick...
Only a ResMed S9 power brick will work due to a 3rd wire and pin.

One thing to add to the list: I keep a spare power brick.
This was my initial suspicion too, also make sure the plug goes in the back of the machine is fully inserted, bit tricky this one

I don't have spare power brick as such but have spare machine uses the same power brick and few power cords too
Those machines from overseas comes with a funny power cords, need to be replaced with a local one

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi wirewalker,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I’m sorry to hear about your machine not working, hopefully, you can get another one, soon.
Hang in there for more responses to your post.
Much success to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you so much! You're awesome. Amazing
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-01-2015, 04:05 PM)wirewalker Wrote: Thank you so much! You're awesome. Amazing
Congrats
What was the problem, just in case someone else have the same problem
Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
When my CPAP machine broke on Friday night it meant that the whole weekend would be rough because nobody was open on the weekend to help. My apnea is really bad and without treatment bad things happen.

The only answer I ever got was from the support person answering the phone at my CPAP supplier. She said, "listen, it happens every weekend" implying that I should just suffer through it like lots of other people do. My reply was that if it happens every weekend then someone should probably work on a solution.

The most caring help that I got was from the wonderful people on this forum. I learned that the best course of action is to have backups so that I am prepared for malfunctions.

My appreciation is expressed towards this forum and the people here who took time to read and reply to my post. Wow, good stuff.

My suggestion would be that perhaps there could be a section called, "READ THIS FIRST" for all CPAP users. It could include advice like the suggestion to always have a backup because there is no weekend support out there. In my opinion this is good advice for everyone and could eliminate a lot of suffering.

Again, thank you so very much!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Not using water in AirSense 10 Elite Nishimark 2 96 03-21-2024, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Nishimark
  [CPAP] Res Med S9 Elite bikerfriend 3 102 03-14-2024, 09:41 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Equipment] ResMed S9 Elite CPAP – Climate hose problem drewb6111 2 232 01-28-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: drewb6111
  [Equipment] ResMed S9 Elite stuck "erasing all data", bricked User3001 0 272 11-17-2023, 12:03 PM
Last Post: User3001
Question How do I enable autoset on a ReMed Airsense 10 elite krschultz 3 583 09-25-2023, 06:17 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Dreamstation LCD Backlight Broken FatSleeper15 0 335 09-19-2023, 08:09 PM
Last Post: FatSleeper15
  Noise resmed 10 autoset elite Galletto1959 0 479 05-19-2023, 03:30 AM
Last Post: Galletto1959

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.