Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Taking control of CPAP
Taking control of CPAP
Hi All, I'm sort-of new to CPAP in that I just got formally diagnosed, but only TEN YEARS after my girlfriend (a physician) told me that I DEFINITELY have sleep apnea. I'm supposed to select a Provider before my next appointment, after which I get my prescription. I expect I will end up with a DreamStation... either 3 months from now, or possibly sooner if I can find one used by someone for not too long before they croaked.  Having lived with apnea for over 10 years, I fully understand what's going on with me physiologically, and I've educated and re-educated myself on how CPAP devices work (including reading dozens of journal articles and patents). I've also operated, maintained and repaired a large number of far more sophisticated instruments than this. So I absolutely HATE the idea of not being fully in control of my device. I feel like a an auto mechanic-cum-racecar driver at an auto dealership and all they'll sell me is a car without driver's seat that is piloted by a defective A.I. Does anyone know if it's possible (short of actual hacking into the electronics) to adjust controls / activate functions on a late-model DreamStation that weren't pre-adjusted / activated by the Provider at time of rental/sale?     Also, what's the consensus on these devices: Buy or Rent?  Thanks, Jim
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Taking control of CPAP
Most people here prefer the Resmed stuff over the Philips (Dreamstation).
With the Dreamstation (1 or 2) (1 has that recall on the poison foam, some have been refurbished, use caution with those) and with the Resmed newer machines, you can get full control. You just have to activate the "clinician" mode.
The software from here (Oscar) does a great job showing all the details of the collected data (lots of it, every breath..)
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Taking control of CPAP
The bad news is that OP will need to do some homework. I suggest reading the Apnea Board Wiki article on machine choices and also the thread at http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ew-machine which will explain the technical aspects of why the experts here believe ResMed is the best choice. When you get your machine, put an SD card into it so that the machine can record breath-by-breath data. Then download OSCAR onto your computer and insert the same SD card into your computer so you can get the data into OSCAR. You can post your results here and get some expert feedback on actions that may improve your results. The most important thing now is PATIENCE. The journey takes a while and optimum results will not likely be achieved in a day or two.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Taking Xyrem: what are these respiratory rate spikes DebJ 3 113 03-24-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: DebJ
  Question on the Hybernite Rainout control tube runcyclexcski 2 105 03-21-2024, 05:29 AM
Last Post: runcyclexcski
  Well, I thought I had AHI under control... LookingForACleverHandle 15 960 03-18-2024, 08:19 PM
Last Post: LookingForACleverHandle
  Taking mask off at the same time everynight sleepyman95 2 171 03-08-2024, 12:25 AM
Last Post: sleepyman95
  Does EPAP or IPAP control hypopneas? MrIvanDrago 3 245 02-29-2024, 05:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Taking a sleep test while on CPAP? hydra 4 353 02-21-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: MikeR20
  CPAP Does Not Control Small Chokes Buitlear 27 1,915 12-03-2023, 11:55 AM
Last Post: Buitlear

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.