Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Think I might have ruined my humidier tub...
Think I might have ruined my humidier tub...
I just got an H5i with my machine yesterday and the standard tub that came with it has latches on it, so I assumed it was okay to disassemble for cleaning. Today I read the clinician manual for the S9 and it specifically says:

"Note: Do not open the H5i water tub. There are no user serviceable parts inside."

Apparently I wasn't supposed to do that, but I'm confused why it has tabs on it for disassembly. Is this going to leak?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Think I might have ruined my humidier tub...
Hi Paptillian,
It sounds like you got the dishwashable humidifier tub; it has latches and it IS designed to get into to clean it.
The tub that used to come with the S9Autoset was supposedly not designed to get into, although, before I read the instructions about it, I had opened that particular tub in spite of them, )Ha-Ha,) and it seems to me like I read here on the board that there was a link to a you-tube video about opening the original tub that came with the machines.
Hang in there for more responses to your quiry.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Probably the manual written for the older style standard water tank, came in one piece (there is youtube video posted here shows how to open it)

The new standard water tank comes in two parts and can be opened for cleaning

The cleanable water tank (dishwasher safe) comes in 3 parts and got stainless steel bottom

I've both, prefer to use the stainless bottom with standard tank top

Post Reply Post Reply
Excellent! Thanks again. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
If it has flappy things on each side, it's openupable and can be washed and reassembled. They figured it was actually cheaper to make it so it opens than to "permanently" seal it.

Best of both worlds - if you have the yellow colored sealing gasket.

Don't wash the aluminum tub in the dishwasher. Heat and chemicals in detergent will make it all funky. I prefer the aluminium because it conducts heat SO much better than stainless (which is a really terrible conductor of heat).

OMyMyOHellYes
Post Reply Post Reply
What's special about the yellow gasket? I noticed the standard tub (2-piece with aluminum base) has a yellow gasket whereas as the "washable" tub (3-piece with stainless base) has a black gasket.

Is there an advantage for an at-home user to buy the more expensive tub? I understand that the materials are more durable and can be disinfected, but is that mainly a concern for a hospital environment? Should both types still be replaced at 6 months? If so, I may not spend the extra cash in the future.

Since we're on this topic, I'm also curious why the washable tub has an extra plastic piece in the middle... kind of a lid within a lid. What purpose does that serve?
Post Reply Post Reply
Gasket color is just an easy way to identify different versions of the water chamber:

Blue gasket - sealed design - harder to really clean - can force disassembly, but not designed to be disassembled - old design no longer offered.

Black gasket - "washable tub" made of stainless so it can get thrown into a dishwasher - uses wing clamps - separates into three main pieces - top, baffle, and bowl - kind of a klunky design solution that was improved upon with the new disposable tub visually identified by the yellow gasket - still offered, but more pieces and complexity and cost

Yellow gasket - New design with wing clamps to hold closed - designed to open into two pieces for easy cleaning (three if you slide off the plastic wing clamp assembly from the bowl) but not dishwasher safe because of aluminium bowl

OMyMyOHellYes

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-23-2013, 07:49 AM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote: kind of a klunky design solution that was improved upon with the new disposable tub [...]

How often should the disposable tub be disposed? I set the reminder for 6 months.

Is the washable tub non-disposable then, meaning it never needs replacement?
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-23-2013, 07:49 AM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote: Yellow gasket - New design with wing clamps to hold closed - designed to open into two pieces for easy cleaning (three if you slide off the plastic wing clamp assembly from the bowl) but not dishwasher safe because of aluminium bowl.

I have the yellow gasket model and I have washed both the aluminum tub and the top plastic part in the dishwasher. No problem. What's wrong with washing aluminum things in the dishwasher?
Post Reply Post Reply
Combo dishwashing detergent and high temps causes some funky corrosive chemical reaction with the surface of the aluminium - kind of like a form of oxidation. You will first starrt noticing that the aluminum begins to look dark and probably spotty. Then darker. Like it's stained. It won't feel as smooth (growing surface irregularities.)d on gla too

There are a lot of things I won't put in the dishwasher. Wood. Knives. Anything made out of aluminium. Have ruined a couple of ice cream scoops and pizza cutters with aluminum handles. Over time, even glass ware will get etched with permanent white marks.

OMyMyOHellYes.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad [Health] Sleep apnea has ruined my life. NYPT 25 11,981 06-19-2021, 03:46 PM
Last Post: Ratchick
  SLEEP DOCTOR RUINED MY CARD pavelow360 16 2,894 03-26-2017, 10:28 PM
Last Post: pavelow360
  No heat from ResMed S9 H5i humidier remltr 7 5,822 12-14-2014, 04:52 PM
Last Post: PaytonA

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.