Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Thoughts on Dreamstation Go Auto
Thoughts on Dreamstation Go Auto
Hi to all.

Where I live, CPAP availability is limited. So, I'm think on replacing my venerable Respironics BiPAP Pro in CPAP mode (which I had to attach a Medistrom Battery..more on this later). My brother who lives in the US is gonna send me the new machine, which I chose the Dreamstation Go Auto.

Reasons for choosing the Dreamstation Go, well:
1) I travel at least 4 times a month, in a bus, for 12 hours (I work in a mining operation).
2) Compact.
3) No parts (right now..I have the CPAP, the battery and cables. Lots of them).
4) Battery integration.

however, I am uncertain if this will work at 14000 feet. That's the altitude of where I work.

On the other side, I am puzzled about using an Auto CPAP. Some places says it's better. Others not. The doctor recommended using 8 cmH2O CPAP, but I'd like to read your thoughts.

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Thoughts on Dreamstation Go Auto
According to this:
https://www.vitalitymedical.com/pdf/freq...tiongo.pdf
"Yes. DreamStation Go will automatically compensate therapeutic pressure to altitudes of up to 7,500 ft."

I would assume that above that you may need to raise the pressure to compensate, being an auto machine, the Go may do it for you but your data will be different (of course) as pressures will be higher. 

Regarding Auto vs CPAP - My personal opinion is to get an auto, and set the minimum flow value at or slightly below what your DR recommends then set the maximum to just under double that value if under 10cm H2O(and tune this with data), and enable EPR (which drops the pressure on exhalation) for comfort.  - I'm not a doctor, this is just what works for me, use this information at your own risk.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi dfctr,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
If you are using a Respironics BiPAP now, the Go machine is just an AutoCPAP. Nothing necessarily wrong wit that, accept, your therapy won't be as complete.
Hang in there for more ideas, as two or more heads are better than one.
Good luck as you continue CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Forgot to mention this:

I was using a BiPAP because I needed it (I weighted 165 kg).
Then, I went to bariatric surgery (sleeve gastrectomy) and went down to 110-120 kgs and going down (I hope).

So, I still experienced Apnea, and the doctor prescribed to change the mode to CPAP and reduce the theray to 8. That is, I just needed a CPAP with fixed pressure but I would like to know if getting an Auto CPAP will be more comfortable / better to my therapy.

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
I travel for a living and have used the DreamStation Go at various altitudes and humidity and have not had any issues. 14,500 would be much higher than my experiences. 10,500 is the most I would ever reach. When you use the machine at this altitude could you post some results for our review? Might just work fine with a boost to your min pressure!

GuppyDRV
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-05-2017, 01:22 PM)GuppyDRV Wrote: I travel for a living and have used the DreamStation Go at various altitudes and humidity and have not had any issues. 14,500 would be much higher than my experiences. 10,500 is the most I would ever reach. When you use the machine at this altitude could you post some results for our review? Might just work fine with a boost to your min pressure!

GuppyDRV

Of course I will.
My device should be in my hands on 12/20. I'll give it a test and report back.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-05-2017, 02:37 PM)dfctr Wrote:
(12-05-2017, 01:22 PM)GuppyDRV Wrote: I travel for a living and have used the DreamStation Go at various altitudes and humidity and have not had any issues. 14,500 would be much higher than my experiences. 10,500 is the most I would ever reach. When you use the machine at this altitude could you post some results for our review? Might just work fine with a boost to your min pressure!

GuppyDRV

Of course I will.

The DreamStation Go manual states it's designed operating limit is 7,500 feet - you're looking to have it operate at close to double it's designed specifications:
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/125516...=48#manual
http://incenter.medical.philips.com/docl...3D14342767

Specifications - Environmental

Operating Temperature
Device: 5° to 35° C (41° to 95° F)
Battery Pack: 5° to 35° C (41° to 95° F)
Storage Temperature -20° to 60° C (-4° to 140° F)

Relative Humidity (operating & storage) 15 to 95% (non-condensing)

Atmospheric Pressure:
Device: 101 to 77 kPa (0 - 2286 m / 0 - 7500 ft)
Battery Pack: 101 to 77 kPa (0 - 2286 m / 0 - 7500 ft)
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-05-2017, 02:54 PM)donmeek Wrote:
(12-05-2017, 02:37 PM)dfctr Wrote:

GuppyDRV

Of course I will.

The DreamStation Go manual states it's designed operating limit is 7,500 feet - you're looking to have it operate at close to double it's designed specifications:

Operating Temperature

Atmospheric Pressure:

Thanks for the info. However and I really can't help it. I work in a TI shop here 8 days, 12 hour shifts but I get to rest 6 days.
Now, that is the "recommended" operating environment. It's like my servers...they are recommended (and warranted) up to 10000 feet but works without a hitch in this environment. 
My BiPAP Pro also is rated "up to" 8000 feet and has done the job in the last 3 years I'm here. So, yeah, there's a risk involved but I will have to take it. That or change jobs (and I love this job).

I'll be experimenting a bit with the settings while here. I guess Philips would be interested in the long term results...Tongue Heck, they may even write a paper about this hahaha.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-05-2017, 03:20 PM)dfctr Wrote:
(12-05-2017, 02:54 PM)donmeek Wrote:
(12-05-2017, 02:37 PM)dfctr Wrote: Of course I will.

Operating Temperature

Atmospheric Pressure:

Thanks for the info. However and I really can't help it. I work in a TI shop here 8 days, 12 hour shifts but I get to rest 6 days.
Now, that is the "recommended" operating environment. It's like my servers...they are recommended (and warranted) up to 10000 feet but works without a hitch in this environment. 
My BiPAP Pro also is rated "up to" 8000 feet and has done the job in the last 3 years I'm here. So, yeah, there's a risk involved but I will have to take it. That or change jobs (and I love this job).

I'll be experimenting a bit with the settings while here. I guess Philips would be interested in the long term results...Tongue Heck, they may even write a paper about this hahaha.

My only only observation at altitude was that the lack of humidity tickled my nose. I never use humidity! As far as performance no noticeable difference. I'm guessing a bump of .5-1.0 in pressure might compensate at higher altitudes. But really....what else can you do? Any benefit is better than not using! 

GuppyDRV
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes. I don't have a humidifier at this altitude neither (basically because I didn't want to spend in one...but lately didn't need one really).
I adjusted the pressure to 9.5 (1.5 above prescribed) and I have slept like a baby. I compared my sleep tracker data (Garmin watch) and there is a noticeable difference (more deep sleep).

So yes. It worked to me. I am still cautious because there is always risk, but I guess it's the right track.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What are your thoughts on dental Daytime Nightime Appliances (DNA)? NoddingHacker 13 2,740 01-24-2024, 05:55 PM
Last Post: Msevcsisin
  Auto BiPAP fixed PS vs Auto PS - pros and cons? Stubert 5 583 01-09-2024, 02:29 AM
Last Post: Stubert
  Your thoughts on my stats Brennie 60 2,502 12-30-2023, 09:03 PM
Last Post: Brennie
  some thoughts after a few weeks? ifsmithy 39 1,562 12-21-2023, 02:07 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
Question Any thoughts on why my heart rate increases when using CPAP? hejohoo 2 830 12-17-2023, 06:58 PM
Last Post: stargazing
  Thoughts on my data (after double jaw surgery) accetableplaintain 2 417 11-27-2023, 06:30 AM
Last Post: accetableplaintain
  New mask, thoughts on my sleep data? SleepyMcDonald 1 400 11-08-2023, 11:13 AM
Last Post: gainerfull

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.