Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Travel problems
Travel problems
Hello everyone. I am a new hosehead (7 nights). My ResMed S9 I will be flying for our first time next week. I am curious how savvy the TSA is with CPAP machines and how much trouble I can expect when I pass through security. What have other traveler's experience been?

I am assuming that I should carry it on, rather than pack it in checked luggage.

By the way, what do people do when their nose itches at night in a full face mask?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Travel problems
They are very savvy.

Treat it the same as you would a laptop. Take it out of the bag and put into bin. Mask and hose can remain in bag. They will send it through. They may swab it, they may not.

CPAP counts as a medical device and does not count toward your baggage limit, including carry-on limit.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._with_CPAP
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi mxw51,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
What Paula said.
I've not used a full-face mask so I don't know the answer to your question.
Best of luck, I hope your trip goes well.
Hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Itchy nose is a pain with FFM. I try to just ignore it if I can and sometimes it just goes away, but most of the time I end up shutting down, taking the mask off and scratching. Sometimes you can sneak a finger in under the seal and get the job done, but if the seal doesn't re-set right you have to start all over. I do a preliminary rub down of my face before putting the mask on and that seems to help. When I first started PAP I think I had an itch just about every night, it rarely happens now - maybe something you just get used to.
Post Reply Post Reply
Having flown for years with a CPAP, TSA has become very understanding and knowledgeable regarding the handling and processing of the machines. However, if you want to see some excitement, try flying with a machine that has a battery back-up in it (like my AEOMed CPAP)! The battery shows up on the scanner as a solid black object. Rolleyes
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
In all my travels, I have never taken my machine out of the bag. I have a wheeled carry on that I got at my travel folks last year when we went to Disney. I put my machine in that, hoses and mask on top, along with my wife's meds. I also have my extension cord and surge protector. When I go thru scanning I simply put it on the belt like any carry on. BTW it does have a med device tag on the bag which I have tucked inside (don't play that card unless I need it). I have never been asked the question as to what it is.

Paul
Post Reply Post Reply
As of this time, I'm currently sitting in an Airport waiting for my flight. They asked if I had any liquids which I told them there was a travel shampoo in my Cpap bag; TSA said to just take the liquids out and leave everything in the travel bag and put it through the scanner. No problems! I do carry a copy of the doctors prescription in the bag just in case they want proof for the medical device classification.
Post Reply Post Reply
Travel with a CPAP used to be a pain in the arse but they've gotten better at it. On my recent trip to Dallas, they didn't swipe it either time where as before, they set it aside, wiped both sections down, and all that. This time, they barely looked at it. I was told to take it out of the bag, though. The "TSA friendly" laptop bags are cool so I am assuming that since the CPAP bag has nothing else in it, they just scan it like the laptop.

Careful putting other items in the same bag with the CPAP. Not only is there possible issues with leaking, but with the scrutiny on the number of carry-ons, they can declare your CPAP bag non-medical because it has other stuff in it. I doubt a single small bottle of shampoo would matter but you never know. The airlines are getting grouchy.

In the commercial section of this forum is a discussion of a CPAP suitcase. I decided not to get it just yet. I may next year when I go to Portland.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I figured since the bottle of shampoo is specifically to be used for cleaning my equipment and I wanted to keep everything together, shouldn't be a problem. Its still a travel size bottle and as for leaking, not to worry, I have the bottle in its own ziplock bag. Also every component including the mask and hose are in there own ziplock bags; just in case they do want to open the cpap carry bag, everything is protected from dirty hands. If they ask to have any of the components removed, I ask them to "please" put on a fresh pair of gloves before they inspect. As for grouchy, these were probably the most pleasant TSA personnel I've ever met, flying out of Buffalo.
Post Reply Post Reply
Any time I've flown in the last year, there was no request to remove the CPAP (S8 Elite at the time) from my bags when going through the "security" theater.

OMyMyOHellYes
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Cool Smallest travel CPAP setup w/ Transcend Micro kotaKat 4 1,678 03-25-2024, 04:52 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  [CPAP] PRISMA SMART MAX PROBLEMS WITH SOFTPAP LEVEL 2 rretamalt 18 2,009 03-19-2024, 06:17 PM
Last Post: motivationalGust
  Any experiences with BMC M1 Mini travel Auto CP?AP DrJelly 4 673 03-15-2024, 01:18 PM
Last Post: DrJelly
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,729 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 169 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
  Anything can be done for baby with breathing problems Ptee8899 3 221 02-11-2024, 11:30 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Small travel bag for ResMed 11 + Laptop? NelsonM 9 2,286 02-08-2024, 10:28 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.