Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Traveling both in US and Overseas Questions
Traveling both in US and Overseas Questions
So I just started therapy last night. I got the ResMed AirSense Auto as it was fairly small and portable.

I leave in 3 days on a work trip to the east coast and then in a month I am flying back overseas again to the UK.

My questions:
For US travel do I need to do anything outside of just keeping it as a carry on (I know you shouldn't check it due to the temp causing damage). Do I really need to get a doctor's note of some kind? I have a couple sheets from my doctor showing what my treatment is to be or do I need something more official?

For my UK travel (I go once to twice a year for 10-15 days): Do I need anything other than an outlet adapter to convert the plug type? I know I have plugged power bricks for other electronics in before and blown them (specifically a few years ago I took an xbox with me for a cousin, and fried the powerbrick as soon as we plugged it in).
Do I need anything specific to take the device with me through customs?

I am thinking that I can put my distilled water in a couple small containers in my toiletry bag and take that with me, haven't had a chance to gauge how much water it goes through but especially for the UK not totally sure which store I would have to go to for the distilled water (guessing Tesco but only small ones near where I stay typically)

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Traveling both in US and Overseas Questions
You do not need your prescription or any kind of note for travel within the US. Just put the machine in its bag and have fun on your trip.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._with_CPAP

All you need for international travel is an adapter to fit the US plug to whatever plug the country uses. You can find them just about anywhere, really.

There is no need to carry distilled water wherever you go. There is too much a risk for it leaking, of hassle with TSA, etc. Some have managed to do it but, really, why? Distilled water is water with the minerals removed. And for just a few nights of travel, you and your humidifier tub will survive just fine. You can use bottled water in the US, if you feel the need. Or get a spare tub and use that one for travel. In the UK, you can use tap water since their water is very low mineral content.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Bimrin,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Have a nice trip.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
The power brick can take the line Voltage and Frequency for world travel. You just need the proper plug to socket adapter.
In the UK, you need the proper 3 prong plug for their outlets. On the continent, they use a 2 prong Europlug.
Just buy an adapter kit.

Just to avoid airport hassles, a tag labeling your machine carry-on as medical equipment will save steps.
Insist the TSA reglove before touching your machine.

UK plug:
[Image: BritishPlugforWikipedia.jpg]
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Great,

Thanks to all of you for the information. I do have multiple UK plug adapters for my phone/laptop etc so that shouldn't be a problem. What is recommended to use to tag it as a medical device?

I read through the wiki (thanks for sharing that link). Should I just take it out of the bag and put it in a bin like I would a laptop?
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, just like a laptop.

Nearly all the online suppliers sell a luggage tag to identify it. But I don't think you will need it. The tag isn't asked to be shown, it isn't often that visible, and everything is an assembly line. Just declare it as your CPAP. Airplane crews are used to seeing the bags now.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
I concur with those who say it's no problem to travel with a CPAP machine. TSA knows what they are, and lately seem not to require you to remove the machine from the case (they did for a while, and it's a bit inconsistent even now, i think). But they know what it is. I've never had an issue with airline personnel either.

I believe (as someone said) that all CPAP machines will take 100-240 volts at 50-60 Hertz, so getting the appropriate adaptor is about all you need. The power requirements are listed on the transformer for your machine, so you should not have to guess about this.

One thing to think about: Most hotel rooms everywhere, but especially in foreign countries, have limited wall plugs. If you want to charge a phone, a laptop, a tablet and a shaver overnight as well as use your machine, a power strip designed for world travel is perhaps a good investment. I got one from Amazon for about $25. I would not recommend plugging a domestic power strip into an adaptor and expecting things not to melt. You might get away with it, but it could be ugly if you don't get away with it.

Finally, in addition to the heated hose that plugs into the humidifier, I have an unheated hose that plugs into the CPAP portion directly (since I can disconnect the humidifier portion of the machine from the CPAP portion. I know that not all machines are like that, but the ResMed S9 is). So I never travel with the humidifier and never have to worry about distilled water when traveling. It seems to work fine for me, though I can understand that not everyone might choose to go that way. I've also used the humidifier in place with no tank in it, and that didn't seem to hurt me or the machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
Temperature is not the issue in not checking the machine.

Not getting the machine at the other end is the issue. Like when your bags go to Poughkeepsie but you went to Salt Lake City.

Shush. It happens.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
Speaking of hoses, one thing to remember: the heated hose will NOT fit the blowing unit of the S9. You HAVE to attach it to the humidifier half.

So if you want to save space and leave the humidifier half at home, take the regular/slimline hose with you. The heated hose won't work. Yeah, experience talkin'. Luckily, I had the other half but it was a PITA to get to when I found out the error of my ways.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
Take a letter from your doctor/physician to take on board any aircraft to allow you to use it on the plane and take it on board Smile
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 152 Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 270 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  New - so many questions Matsu1 4 262 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  A few questions!! Iceracer 2 307 01-19-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: Iceracer
  Need Help. Many Questions wkennedy 6 464 12-31-2023, 10:50 AM
Last Post: wkennedy
  My treatment fun. Questions. robbob2112 15 1,594 10-26-2023, 10:19 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Any Resmed AirSense 10 users near Bend OR? I’m traveling and need help. Mbranning 4 554 10-24-2023, 11:35 PM
Last Post: Mbranning

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.