Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] "Tricking" compliance monitoring with Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset?
Question 
"Tricking" compliance monitoring with Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset?
Hey y'all, I'm just about to get my first machine to treat my OSA and am pretty excited to be receiving a Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset. However, I have significant other medical issues (the main one is massive inflammation from an unknown cause, possibly cancer). I'm pretty sure that these issues are causing me to have significant insomnia that me make pretty sensitive to changes in my sleep environment and easily have issues falling asleep and/or staying asleep. 

Now I apologize in advance if this question is breaking any rules or against the site's policies. However, I'm really worried about the compliance monitoring with my machine, especially at first when I am still trying to get used to it. I am concerned that I will not be able to get enough hours to meet the 4hrs 21/30 days per month for the first 3 months that my insurance requires. Buying the machine outright isn't an option for me right now.

Accordingly, I'm wondering if anyone knows if I can get around the compliance monitoring on this specific machine by wearing it during the day while I'm awake? Obviously, I plan to try to use it as much as I can while I'm sleeping also, but I'm not sure how that will go, especially at first. It looks like I saw a couple people saying that using a machine while awake will still count towards the compliance requirement but I just wanted to confirm that. I'm sure whether this sort of "compliance" actually counts might vary between machines, so I'd love to know if anyone knows is this would work for this specific machine. Also, do you think my insurance company would be suspicious if they saw that the usage hrs are consistently during the day instead of the night?

By the way, I'm only trying to use this machine to improve my health and quality of life. I'm not being required to use it for my employment (like truck drivers are) or anything like that. So I just want to do whatever I can to hopefully keep it while working on my other issues that cause me insomnia. Thanks in advance guys
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: "Tricking" compliance monitoring with Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset?
The machine does NOT tell when you are asleep only you are wearing it (or there would be a huge leak) and you could wear it while reading or watching tv.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
And we often suggest using it as such to get used to it with the goal of prolonging your night use.

OSCAR data is never manipulated to "trick" the system. This OSCAR always reports on the same data both the machine and the vendors system use. If we "tricked" the system you would not be able to rely on the data from OSCAR.
Post Reply Post Reply
As Stacey said, you can get extra hours by wearing the machine while watching TV, reading or just laying in bed. In spite of insomnia, leave the machine running and wear the mask after an arousal and see if sleep comes. A more positive attitude would be that the machine will help your sleep by reducing arousals and events that prevent you from staying asleep now.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks so much for the fast responses guys. I am planning to try to keep using it even if I am waking up a lot from it at first because I know that if I can get used to it, it will certainly help my insomnia in the long run.

I wasn't sure about how the compliance tracking works because the DME rep I talked to said that she thought that the machine might be able to tell if I was actually asleep or not based on my breathing patterns. So I wasn't sure if using it while awake would count towards the compliance hours, but it sounds like you guys are pretty sure that it will.

I'm definitely going to plan to use it while I'm relaxing in the early days and since I work from home I will try using it while I'm working, at least a little. It's good to hear that even if I can't sleep with it much or at all at first, I can still use it during the day to get the required 4 hours in.
Post Reply Post Reply
As far as the machine is concerned, if you're hooked up, and the machine is on, the time counts. Be sure to have a 4 to 32 GB SD card in the slot if the machine does not include one.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks again! I certainly will do that.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 69 25,715 Yesterday, 05:18 PM
Last Post: fixed it
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 17 343 Yesterday, 07:47 AM
Last Post: Old Steve
  Need help with Airsense 10 AutoSet JonUK 2 105 03-25-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: JonUK
  [Equipment] Should I turn on the AB Filter option on my AirSense 10 AutoSet for these filters? cLoo 10 837 03-22-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Switching from Dreamstation 1 to AirSense II autoset jed3 2 167 03-21-2024, 07:39 AM
Last Post: jed3
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 613 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10 Sleep87 109 67,593 03-19-2024, 11:27 PM
Last Post: ivanvargas1

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.