Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Two Machines - Two AHI Readings
(06-18-2014, 07:41 PM)Sleepster Wrote: Reading this thread gives me even more evidence for my belief that the precision of the AHI is not very good. In other words, anything below 5 is considered "good" so clinically there is no difference between a 0.3 and a 3.0. In other words, from a statistical point of view they're equivalent.

That's sort of an insurance thing. AHI=5.1, you get coverage from insurance. AHI=4.9, not covered. In theory, people right around the threshold, either above or below aren't at a great risk of harm from untreated apnea, but you need to draw the line somewhere.

A separate problem is that AHI isn't the whole story, but insurance and doctors want a number to work with. In some cases a person with low AHI might actually be suffering from the effects of apenea more than a person with higher numbers.

Get the free SleepyHead software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-19-2014, 05:56 PM)zonk Wrote: 0.3 = 3, so if I give 0.3 dollar (33 cents), you exchange for me for 1 dollar (100 cents)
Nice doing business with you Too-funny

When I last exchanged American money for Canadian, or vice-versa, and this was some time ago, the exchange rate made a significant difference. It might have been something like $1.00 US would be exchanged for $1.25 Canadian. But if instead you exchanged coins, they wouldn't bother with the exchange rate. If I gave them 4 US quarters they'd give me 4 Canadian quarters, and vice-versa.

Large differences are significant, small ones are not.

In other words, 2 + 2 = 5 for sufficiently large values of 2.
Sleepster
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  how do our machines know CA from OA? Leemax 16 612 03-02-2017, 07:38 PM
Last Post: RichardVT
  DME and accepting machines. jokinawa 8 283 02-13-2017, 09:19 AM
Last Post: jerrydaw
  High AHI readings - no explanation from somnographer jona 11 369 02-04-2017, 11:19 AM
Last Post: justMongo
  Newbie so confused between 2 machines Matzaball2016 23 1,586 12-24-2016, 09:57 PM
Last Post: Adoniscmj
  Switching Machines owlgirl63 4 389 12-04-2016, 05:11 AM
Last Post: kwhenrykerr
Question CHANGING MACHINES - SD CARD srlevine1 3 439 10-31-2016, 07:11 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Comparative Analysis of 8 APAP Machines Sleeprider 15 1,385 09-16-2016, 09:41 AM
Last Post: KSMatthew