Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Two Machines - Two AHI Readings
Two Machines - Two AHI Readings
(06-18-2014, 07:41 PM)Sleepster Wrote: Reading this thread gives me even more evidence for my belief that the precision of the AHI is not very good. In other words, anything below 5 is considered "good" so clinically there is no difference between a 0.3 and a 3.0. In other words, from a statistical point of view they're equivalent.

That's sort of an insurance thing. AHI=5.1, you get coverage from insurance. AHI=4.9, not covered. In theory, people right around the threshold, either above or below aren't at a great risk of harm from untreated apnea, but you need to draw the line somewhere.

A separate problem is that AHI isn't the whole story, but insurance and doctors want a number to work with. In some cases a person with low AHI might actually be suffering from the effects of apenea more than a person with higher numbers.

Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Two Machines - Two AHI Readings
(06-19-2014, 05:56 PM)zonk Wrote: 0.3 = 3, so if I give 0.3 dollar (33 cents), you exchange for me for 1 dollar (100 cents)
Nice doing business with you Too-funny

When I last exchanged American money for Canadian, or vice-versa, and this was some time ago, the exchange rate made a significant difference. It might have been something like $1.00 US would be exchanged for $1.25 Canadian. But if instead you exchanged coins, they wouldn't bother with the exchange rate. If I gave them 4 US quarters they'd give me 4 Canadian quarters, and vice-versa.

Large differences are significant, small ones are not.

In other words, 2 + 2 = 5 for sufficiently large values of 2.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Extremely high CA readings on the ResMed Airsense 11 Soleil211 1 145 04-08-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  csa machines cexer 1 135 03-20-2024, 01:43 PM
Last Post: cexer
  Big Gap In Readings - Hours of use too short an4g745 12 544 03-01-2024, 06:50 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  [Health] Pulse oximeter readings while asleep and awake - what do these readings mean? SleepyButHopeful 11 765 02-26-2024, 03:17 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Side sleeper vs. Back sleeper readings Bob Cali 4 450 02-21-2024, 09:54 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  OSCAR pressure readings versus BIPAP display smallhandsfeeding 0 176 02-07-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: smallhandsfeeding
  Returning defective machines to Philips Respironics big_dave 5 882 02-04-2024, 02:15 PM
Last Post: big_dave

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.