Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] UPS / Surge Protector ?
UPS / Surge Protector ?
Is anyone using a UPS (uninterrupted power supply) and/or surge protector with their machine?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: UPS / Surge Protector ?
Yep, my ASV is plugged into a surge protector.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Surge protector here, as well. No UPS, though.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Basic surge, no UPS. Surge comes with me when I travel.
Homer

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Monitors are also Advisory Members, just with Extra Work assigned.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use a UPS on my CPAP.  

From experience, it's not wise to connect a surge protector to a UPS. Both the surge protector and the UPS use capacitors to absorb and slowly release the energy, this setups a resonance or feedback between the UPS and surge protector that usually results in either one or all devices, along with anything plugged in to them, to get fried.  A surge protector plugged into another surge protector will produce the same result.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am using a small UPS that has surge protection built-in. I already had an unused UPS anyway so I decided that I may as well use it for my APAP since it draws very little current. Its primary use though is just for short power outages or surges. I have other devices for longer-term outages. Not sure why, if the power is out I do not sleep anyway unless the outage is for days like it was during our last hurricane (I did not have any XPAP equipment at that time).

One caution on standard surge protectors. They are not all that protective when new and gradually go downhill over time without the user knowing that their surge protectors in the house are probably worthless. I know from my engineering days that off the shelf surge protectors would never be allowed in commercial applications. Good commercial surge protectors are very expensive for home use, however. You may also want to consider adding a whole house surge protector that sits across the power line at the point of entry into your house (usually mounted in or near the breaker panel). Although they use MOVs also so even though I have one, I do not trust it much. Also, other incoming cables (TV, phone, etc.) are prime lighting/surge problems that should also be considered (not an XPAP issue).
Post Reply Post Reply
UPS bad.

If Circuit City desktop PC backup grade.

Unless all you plan for are very short outages. If you just want to cover the occasional hour or two long outage where you don't want to be awakened by no air, I guess it would be OK, if you are OK with the UPS beeping to wake you up to tell you there's no 120 V AC....

UPS has smallish 12 V batteries and then use an inverter (way bad juju) to up the power pressure back to 120 V.

I made my own without an inverter and with a 35 AH 12 V battery and a smart maintainer/auto battery switch over on mains failure. It will run my unit for 4 nights as is, over 8 nights with the humogrifier function disabled. Don't even start with heated hose pipes.
There.  I said it.

OMMOHY
Contrarian in Residence  
Post Reply Post Reply
My surge protector saved my cpap when I was travelling. I have a new surge protector, and always use it.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
I use a small UPS for basic machine protection & ensuring that I can gracefully turn it off during the many power failures that we experience. This ensures that I avoid any SD Card data corruption when the power is cut suddenly. I have the alarm disabled so that the incessant beeping doesn't bother me.
Captain Steubing
The Original Captain of "The Love Boat"
Purveyor of presto magic, love and chaos!
My Personal Blog
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-14-2019, 09:09 AM)JackImari Wrote: Is anyone using a UPS (uninterrupted power supply) and/or surge protector with their machine?

If you want to use a UPS or Portable Power Station, it depends on the load (like if you can do without the humidifier or if you must have it on) and how long you want it to run on backup power - a few hours, one night, a couple nights.

You might want to read this thread.  A lot of your questions will probably get answered here.
Backup power system for AirCurve 10 ASV and oxygen concentrator

Thumbs-up-2
RayBee

~ Self-Treatment - via ApneaBoard experts.
~ Self-Pay - no help from Kaiser other than getting my script, then a pat on the butt and out the door.
~ Self-Educated - via ApneaBoard experts, its many users, and posted reference material.
~ Complex Apnea - All Night AHI=34.2/h, Supine AHI=45.5/h
~ Using a 2021 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max, 32 GB, 1 TB, macOS Monterey V12.6.2.
~ Pay no attention to the dog behind the cup, he ain't a docta, and does not give medical advise.
~ Woof, woof.

I-love-Apnea-Board
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Surge from ASV makes it difficult to get back to sleep Heartman 9 1,518 08-04-2020, 08:24 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  BiPAP AutoSV Advanced: dead after power surge johnny340 4 1,707 05-24-2020, 03:36 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  I think a power surge shut off my machine. Nightynite 17 3,722 11-03-2019, 07:31 PM
Last Post: RayBee
  Surge Protector DaveL 36 4,703 10-04-2018, 07:41 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  surge protector for cpap? Inspired 19 10,095 02-03-2016, 08:51 PM
Last Post: rhodesengr
  [News] VA, Congress shrug as sleep apnea claims surge ApneaNews 0 2,050 02-26-2014, 10:11 AM
Last Post: ApneaNews
  Surge Protector? penbate 13 7,018 12-03-2013, 09:48 AM
Last Post: westom

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.