Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Ultra Mirage FFM
Ultra Mirage FFM
Concerned because of mouth leaks, last night I tried a FFM for the first time ever. It went better than expected but when I checked my data this morning it showed large leaks almost all night, even though the machine showed the smiley face.

The mask is the ResMed Ultra Mirage FFM. Even though I wouldn't normally wear a used mask, this came with a machine I bought several months ago on cl, and it looked so clean I thought I'd save it in case I was ever in a pinch and needed it.

As you face the front of the mask looking at the elbow where the hose attaches, there are two holes at 10:00 and 2:00 about 10 mm away from the elbow. There is one small plastic fitting that screws into either one of the holes and blocks it off. I believe there is supposed to be another for the other hole but it's missing.

These holes appear to be places for attaching oxygen hoses or something? They don't appear to be anti asphyxia valves as this small plastic fitting won't allow air to flow in either direction, plus they are only about 2 mm in diameter. And they are not the exhaust ports as those are located further above.

Anyway, last night both holes were open and I think that's why the leak rate was so high. I can put the plastic fitting over one of the holes, but can I plug the other up with a piece of foam or something?
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Ultra Mirage FFM
I see you went from nasal pillows to a FFM. Did you change the declaration in the S9? In playing with mine, I've found that the machine is more forgiving of leaks when the FFM is declared as opposed to a pillow mask.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, I made the change in the S9 menu.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply
I use the Ultra Mirage FFM and have two of them. The two ports on the front are for measuring pressure or other test or monitoring equipment. Both of the holes in my masks have screw in plugs in them.

I use O2, but I introduce that with a swivel tee between the hose and mask.

The anti-asphyxiation valve is located where the elbow meets the mask.

Tom
Admin Note:
Jack_Russell_Fan passed away in June 2020
For his SleepMaster software, click here.

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Yep those are just pressure test ports or bleeding in O2. I have a nasal with two of those. And a fitlife that has one.

I dont think they are the leak problem though. Ive run both those two masks without the little plugs for a few nights by mistake and the leak difference was negligible with either one.

But if you want to plug em up go ahead. They are meant to be plugged if not being used.

Trust they are not anti aphyxiation openings. There isnt enough air comes thru both to keep a mouse alive for two minutes LOL
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the info, everyone. I guess I could have googled the mask and found out that way, but I was so surprised to see the leak graphs that I wasn't thinking straight.

(12-26-2014, 05:52 PM)Ghost1958 Wrote: I dont think they are the leak problem though.

Yeah, I was thinking they're too small to account for those leaks, too. I'll give at least one more night's try with the holes plugged and see what happens.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mirage FX Vs Eson 2 mask jblkiller 0 467 07-27-2023, 10:04 AM
Last Post: jblkiller
  Mirage Quattro Question Jimnyc2000 0 477 07-03-2023, 09:59 PM
Last Post: Jimnyc2000
  Mirage FX mask: Wide or Standard HappyCpappySmile 0 557 08-24-2022, 11:38 PM
Last Post: HappyCpappySmile
  [Equipment] Thinking about trying Mirage Liberty kingpin 5 1,032 06-13-2022, 01:03 PM
Last Post: Sleepy Willy
Surprised Mirage Quatro Cushion cleaning Redorchid2404 7 869 04-12-2022, 06:52 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [Equipment] ResMed Mirage Liberty hybrid mask leaking prob. boondockbob 2 874 03-31-2022, 07:07 PM
Last Post: mecutl3r
  [CPAP] Mirage Activa LT mask discontinued. Xeraphax 6 2,763 02-09-2022, 12:51 AM
Last Post: srlevine1

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.