Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Setting assistance
Setting assistance
Hi,

Ive only been using a CPAP machine for about a month. I have dropped my AHI from 75 in the study to an average of about 2.  The thing is, other than my wife telling me I'm not snoring, I dont feel any different.  Here are some screenshots.  All advice welcomed

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Setting assistance
Hi Big Timber,
Even though your AHI is considered clinically treated, you are experiencing a lot of Flow Limitations, RERA's, and Hypopneas. Those events can disrupt your sleep.

The DreamStation's algorithm is slower to react to these events than a ResMed device. If you were using a ResMed, then we would advise utilizing the EPR (exhale pressure relief) feature that usually helps with that.

I see you are using AFLex. Keep it at a setting of 2.

The best you can do with the DreamStation in your situation is to set the minimum pressure somewhere around the median pressure and observe for a day or two. Your median pressure is around 10, so set your minimum to that and see what effect it has. This should help.

You may have to keep raising the minimum pressure close to your 95% number.

Now remember, you've only been at this for a month, so give it some time.

One more thing... If you have a copy of your redacted sleep study, please post it here.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum

Likely you have been having apnea for years, it takes time and often the changes are gradual.

Your snoring is driving your pressure so we should see what we can do. Flow limits a RERAs are high. RERAs are a series of flow limits ending in arousal.

I suggest you increase your min pressure by 2, review, post and likely increase again.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the replies.  

I don't own the Respionics machine and am about to buy my own.  I see the Sleep Dr in a week or so and was waiting until after that appointment to do so.  If I'm understanding what you are intimating OpalRose, I should look at the ResMed machines?  Attached is my sleep study info.

Post Reply Post Reply
Since you don't yet own a machine, Ask your doctor to prescribe a ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet, or better yet an AirCurve 10 VAuto which is a BiLevel.  

With the amount of RERA's and Flow Limitation, you would probably do best with the BiLevel.  The RERA's and FL's lead to arousals or disruptions in your sleep, and that's why you still don't feel all that great.  Unfortunately, most doctors will only look at the total AHI number and say you are doing great.  You will have to be you own best advocate.  You need the EPR (expiratory pressure relief) of the A10 AutoSet or the (PS) Pressure Support of a BiLevel to best tackle those type of events.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...Limitation
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Please do yourself a favor and make sure that you purchase the equivalent matchine from Res Med, the ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet or AutoSet for her.
With your flow limits and RERAs the ResMed will treat you mech better.

If possible the ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto is the next step up and is much more flexible for flow limits and RERAs with the much more flexible pressure support. ResMeds algorithm uses flow limits as a predictor of future events whereas PR uses mostly snores.

Idealy the script will say "ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto, DAW"
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you so much for your time and responses.  Thanks

I cant find the AirCurve 10 VAuto on the Australian Resmed website [link to commercial website removed - site sells CPAPs directly to patients online]  It might be a US only machine or it may have a different model number.  I'll dig a bit.

I bumped the min pressure to 10 and found it a little difficult to get to sleep but I'm sure I'll adjust.  Last night's screenshot is attached.

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed

To maintain our status as an educational organization, certain types of commercial links are prohibited in this forum. This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.

-----

Post Reply Post Reply
I think Supplier #2 will ship out of the country. I purchased a slightly used ResMed AirCurve VAUTO for 800$. It only had 250 hours (about one month). They have a great reputation. If interested they are at the top of this site where the shopping cart is. There are also new machines at a very large discount. There are other dealer listed some from your country in the list.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Not Sure if Setting Changes Helping - Help Appreciated! WiscoKate 6 148 03-25-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: WiscoKate
  APAP optimization assistance jayed53 9 424 03-14-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: jayed53
  Setting time and date on Resmed Airsense 10 cmadon 42 32,172 03-08-2024, 09:13 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  AirSense 10 Max Pressure setting Tomt 13 855 03-04-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Tomt
  [Treatment] Interpreting OSCAR data - any assistance would be incredibly appreciated :) SleepyVoyager 20 891 02-29-2024, 01:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Wink [CPAP] NEW USER - Assistance Needed Interpreting OSCAR Data tommythecat 1 276 02-17-2024, 12:55 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
Question [Diagnosis] NEWBIE Looking for first diagnosis assistance Gothenburg85 5 341 02-16-2024, 06:25 PM
Last Post: Gothenburg85

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.