Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Used machines
Question 
Used machines
I was just wondering if any one here had any luck buying a used machine. I was recently diagnosed with sleep apnea and my insurance has decided that they aren't going to pay for my machine. Someone suggested I buy a used machine and I wasn't sure if that was a good idea or not.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Used machines
welcome to the board
folk here bought gently used (low hours) and new zero hours machines from secondwind CPAP (Supplier #2)
highly recommended and prices are very attractive too
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...plier-List

Why should I buy a used machine?
Every machine we sell is pressure tested prior to resale to insure that your device is pressure-accurate. By the time we are finished cleaning the used cpap or used bipap machines we offer, they are as clean as if they just left the manufacturer. The inside of the machines are cleaned with a combination of Ozone, and UV-C light; The same sterilizing techniques used for surgical equipment, and in dentist offices around the country. Externally, we clean the devices with a biodegradable solution that is used in hospitals across the country to provide a completely sanitized surface. We pride ourselves on providing a clean, quality used cpap/bipap machine

make sure to get data capable machine to monitor and track your therapy
check the site for low hours S9 AutoSet $549, humidifier, water tank and both hoses (climateline and slimline are included)

the S9 manual, setup information and software downloads are available from Apnea Board

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-05-2013, 05:05 PM)theosgirl45 Wrote: I was just wondering if any one here had any luck buying a used machine. I was recently diagnosed with sleep apnea and my insurance has decided that they aren't going to pay for my machine. Someone suggested I buy a used machine and I wasn't sure if that was a good idea or not.

I've bought 4 machines through Craigslist. I had to watch ads for 3 months each before I found good deals on 3 of them.

There are a lot of ridiculous prices people asked for. My starting point was 1/2 of the online retail price or lower. For instance, someone is selling a PRS1 Auto machine available online for $600. The one they bought from a local DME may have been billed at $3000, but insurance only paid $1200. The seller thinks he should get $800. For used medical equipment, with no warranty.

Also a lot of the Craigslist sellers don't know what equipment they have. I had to ask for a picture or tell them to read what it says next to the power knob to figure out whether it's an S9 Escape or an S9 AutoSet.

I've bought PRS1 Autos for $300 and $200, and an S9 AutoSet for $300. I'm in a major metro area, and had to drive 50+ miles out of town for two of them.

The other usual warnings about CL buys applies.

There is a lady who sells "new" CPAP machines all around the country on CL. She posts ads that look like she's local, but she actually ships them from South Texas. (Corpus Christi, I think.) While this seems shady to me, apparently she does deliver what she says. Of course, you can't be sure you're really dealing with her or a copycat. I did all my buying face to face.

Supplier #2 on the supplier list has a good reputation for used equipment. They'll probably require a prescription.

You might also find a friend or relative with a good CPAP gathering dust in their closet. Many people get them and quit using them.

Either get a new mask, hose and water tank or figure out how to sterilize used ones.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
I recently bought a machine from supplier 2 and was happy with the condition and the price. I was a little surprised to learn that my "lightly used" machine had 1800 hours on it when it arrived but so far everything works fine. My Respironics machine has 12,000+ hours on it and it was/ is going strong when I replaced it with the ResMed machine.
I'm keeping the Respironics to use for camping since I have a CPAP battery that I can use to power it when there isn't electricity at night.
Post Reply Post Reply
Wherever you get it, make sure it is data capable.

Archangel wrote a wonderful article on which ones do what.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I also bought a machine from Supplier #2 and the pre sale and after service was excellent. Like aehjr mine had about 1800 hours on it, which was a shock too but on the whole, am extremely satisified with everything from the company to the machine. I might mention also, that it took a surprisingly short time to arrive. Ordered and sent in one day (from the US) - arrived in Australia in about 4 days. Highly Recommend
Post Reply Post Reply
I should also have mentioned the outstanding customer service and fast delivery from supplier 2. Definitely recommend them!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi theosgirl45,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
What everyone has said so far.
Best of luck to you on finding your new machine and with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hospitals that have sleep labs regularly swap out their machines, and that is one way to get a used one cheaply - usually they are kept at hospital level cleanliness, so you won't have to worry about that. Just go around to the labs and ask, and if they say there is a list, get on it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-05-2013, 06:19 PM)aehjr Wrote: I was a little surprised to learn that my "lightly used" machine had 1800 hours on it when it arrived but so far everything works fine.
I'm surprised too
anything over 500 hours is not gently used machine
I would ask them first to confirm the hours and serial/software numbers

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  csa machines cexer 1 76 03-20-2024, 01:43 PM
Last Post: cexer
  Returning defective machines to Philips Respironics big_dave 5 678 02-04-2024, 02:15 PM
Last Post: big_dave
  Central vs. OA Events: Switching Machines or Tweaking Current CPAP Settings? fjones416 4 501 12-14-2023, 12:28 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Difference in Machines SufiMindtricks 8 596 11-26-2023, 11:59 AM
Last Post: HappySailor
  SoClean & other CPAP cleaning machines britincanada 505 83,178 11-12-2023, 12:35 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
Angry [Equipment] KILLER STORY ON PHILLIPS CPAP MACHINES srlevine1 10 2,023 11-03-2023, 08:27 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Travel PAP machines - heat/moisture exchange units - do they work? Bostonsnow 1 753 06-10-2023, 06:34 AM
Last Post: cate1898

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.