Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] VPAP
RE: VPAP
[quote='Sleepster' pid='35297' dateline='1367037165']

Supplier #2 sells gently used machines at bargain prices. Check back here before you buy. It's highly recommended that you get a machine that's a newer model.

Hi, Sleepster. Supplier 2 looks good. I'll check it out on Monday. Thanks for your help. Sweet dreams.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-27-2013, 03:52 PM)Tom and Ginny Wrote: [quote='Sleepster' pid='35297' dateline='1367037165']

Supplier #2 sells gently used machines at bargain prices. Check back here before you buy. It's highly recommended that you get a machine that's a newer model.

Hi, Sleepster. Supplier 2 looks good. I'll check it out on Monday. Thanks for your help. Sweet dreams.
You may want to email or phone them first to make sure you,re getting the right machine prescribed for you "ResMed VPAP Adapt SV"
Phillips Respironcis machines good alternative and cheaper for the same model
You want ResMed S9 model or Phillips Respironcis "System One" model
Both newer machines, uses SD card and don,t require special card reader

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, Zonk. Great info that I did not know about.
Post Reply Post Reply
Grin 
One month after Tom's sleep study, he finally received his machine yesterday. The VPAP machine is a ResMed S9 Series, Model #36057. Apparently, this model is newer than the #36037. The mask Tom is using is a Quattro FX full face mask. The machine looks great. It has an SD card reader built in and has a heated humidifer. We ended up going with a local mom/pop company close to our house. The price for us was just under $2,000, spread out over 13 months. I don't understand the process, but our ins. co. will also pay above and beyond that amount--I guess for the monitoring the company will be doing on our behalf. The company said that if the machine does not work for us, we can return it at any time. The company is very pleasant to work with and the RT is very knowledgeable and patient.

However, last night was a night from hell to put it mildly. The RT said this machine is so quiet we wouldn't be able to tell it's on. I disagree. It sounded like a freight train was going through the bedroom, and eventually I gave up and slept on the sofa in another room with the dog. Tom eventually took off the mask and slept without the machine. When I found out I could have gone back to bed, I was not happy with my hosehead husband. If this keeps up, I'm going to have a sleeping disorder, and we're going to have two machines.

After the dust settled, we refitted the mask, and we're both hoping the mask works better tonight. This machine comes with a smiley face that tells you if your mask is on correctly or not. We got the green smiley face, which means the mask is on correctly, so we don't know what is causing the loud noise coming from the mask. I taped and video-recorded the noise so I could show the RT if necessary. Right now, my new hosehead is not a happy camper, and neither is his wife. Thinking-about
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-09-2013, 06:02 PM)Tom and Ginny Wrote: The VPAP machine is a ResMed S9 Series, Model #36057. Apparently, this model is newer than the #36037.

Hi Tom and Ginny,

If you look on the label on the back of the blower unit, I think you will see it is labeled Ref# 36037. This is the current model, manufactured starting November 2012.

Ordering Number 36037 (and Ref# 36037) is the S9 VPAP Adapt, the blower unit itself.

Ordering Number# 36047 is the blower unit plus the heated humidifier. I think there are several possible Ref# for the humidifier.

Ordering Number# 36057 is same blower unit plus the same humidifier plus the ClimateLine heated hose. I think there are two possible Ref# for the ClimateLine, one for the slimline width heated hose and one for the regular (larger width) heated hose.

Sorry to hear of your mask problems. Controlling unintentional leak without over-tightening the mask is the hardest part of the therapy.

It is important to wash all face oil off the mask each morning, and to wash the face just before putting the mask back on again when going to sleep.

It is important that the left and right sides are adjusted equally. The two top straps should be kept equal in length. The two bottom straps should be kept equal in length.

To check for mask leaks, what I do is put the mask on and turn the machine on and let it start up, and then I take several deep breaths (at a normal breathing rate for 15 seconds or so) on the machine, and then I hold my breath (which creates what looks like an obstructive apnea to the machine, so it intermittently increases the pressure up to max, attempting to ventilate me).

Before holding my breath, I will have gotten ready to adjust the straps evenly by having unfastened the top two straps (or bottom two straps), holding one end in each hand, so I am ready to start loosening or tightening the straps as soon as I start holding my breath.

Then I'll do the same thing for the other two traps (bottom straps or top straps).

Before I am done, sometimes I will have stopped several times to take more breaths (for another 15 seconds or so) and then hold my breath again, to continue adjusting the mask.

Then, since it is very easy to end up over-tightening the straps, I may need to repeat the whole thing again, except this time I will be attempting to loosen the straps while holding my breath with the machine at max pressure.

Usually, after a few nights, very little further adjustment is needed, except a little now and then because the headgear does tend to stretch out with use, especially if it is worn when wet. So I wash the mask first thing after I get up and leave it to dry thoroughly during the day, so I won't need to remove the headgear before washing the mask (and mess up adjustment of the straps) or risk getting the headgear wet just before bed time.

I also find it helps to use one size smaller headgear than the mask size, so that the straps do not stretch out and become too long to adjust.

Also, it may help to use a mask liner on the Mirage Quattro FX, especially if you find the mask needs to be too tight because of the high pressures the ASV machine will occasionally need to use. I use RemZzzs (Full Face Mask liners, large size).

Also, I alternate masks, by occasionally using the older style Mirage Quattro (not FX). I am careful to try to adjust the circular mask height adjuster so the mask rests lightly (not tightly) on my nose, but I still find I need to use a ResMed Gecko gel nose pad with it, to seal leaks around the eyes and to protect the bridge of my nose from getting hurt by the mask.

Good luck and take care,
--- Vaughn

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, Vaughn. Yes, you are correct about the model (reference) numbers. I checked the box. Thanks for the mask tips. I'll print them out and we'll try everything humanely possible to get Tom's mask to fit properly.

Ginny
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Aircurve 10 ST-A and Lumis 150 VPAP ST-A just a UK branding difference? SingleH 37 2,243 03-18-2024, 07:51 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Resmed s9 VPAP auto issue steven7685 0 315 11-17-2023, 03:14 PM
Last Post: steven7685
  Capabilities of ResMed S9 VPAP for treating UARS TryingToGetItRight 7 635 10-06-2023, 01:39 PM
Last Post: McDee
  Quick question for anyone with AirCurve 10 VPAP njf1525 4 630 08-01-2023, 10:22 AM
Last Post: njf1525
  Saving time/date in ResMed S9 vpap adapt Ed in SoDak 4 484 06-18-2023, 11:29 AM
Last Post: Ed in SoDak
  Resmed S9 VPAP Adapt ASV vs VPAP ST stanleyjack 4 468 04-05-2023, 02:06 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  How do i set these values on Resmed Lumis 150 VPAP ST fakeinternetmoney 7 1,230 08-28-2022, 08:53 AM
Last Post: fakeinternetmoney

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.