Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] VPAP
Question 
VPAP
Hello. We are new to this forum. My husband, Tom, recently has been diagnosed with a sleep disorder and he's been given an order for a ResMed VPAP Adapt SV machine. We've had a horrible time dealing with the suppliers. One quoted us $469 a month for thirteen months, and another $369 a month for thirteen months. We don't understand these high monthly payments, since we could buy a machine on-line for $2,000 and our insurance company would pay for 70% of the machine. Has anyone had the same experience with a VPAP machine or is this forum just for CPAP machines? Any help would be greatly appreciated. We're lost. Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: VPAP
Welcome

You have come to the right place!
You are not alone with your DME / Insurance horrors.
We get a lot of that here and there is a lot of experience handling those clowns with this group!

Hang in there!
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Tom and Ginny,
WELCOME! both of you,to the forum.!
You have come to the right place for lots of suggestions and information. You're not alone as far as DME problems.
Hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Glad to hear that I'm not alone. So far, I cannot find a machine that I can afford, and I'm depressed thinking I'll never get help.
Post Reply Post Reply
Has anyone used [web address removed] to purchase a machine and face mask? We're trying to find the cheapest place with the best payment plan. Thanks!

Howdy, Ginny... unfortunately, links or URLs to commercial sites (including a DME) are not allowed on our forums, per the rules. I know you didn't do this on purpose... In this case, for future reference, you could have said "Has anyone used the DME supplier 'EasyBreathe' to purchase a face mask.." which would be fine, since the name itself is not a web address, link or URL. We must do this to maintain our forum's educational status. Thanks. - SuperSleeper, Admin.

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed
To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites. This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.
-----
Post Reply Post Reply
Hard to reply with specifics without seeing the policy, etc. I have the converse situation, my insurance (high deductable) pays 100% after deductable for the year, but for any DME over $500 requires that I go through one of their "approved" suppliers, and they end up paying out more than if I bought it myself from the on-line suppliers we all know, and then put in for re-imbursement. However, they also do not buy the machine outright, but go for a monthly charge, and then I own it after 10 months. Screwy, yes - but that is what it is.

Have you asked the home care company if they can deal directly with your insurance company ? Usually they will do that. Also, the numbers you are being quoted are in the ball park, I believe, of the allowed Medicare re-imbursement rates for SV machines.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the info. My ins. also pays 100% after the deductible has been met for the year, which it has not. Right now, using a DME in net, the ins. co. pays up to 3x more than the equipment sells for out-of-pocket. The money the DME wants us to pay, would actually equal the entire cost of the machine--if we bought it out-of-pocket. With my husband's health issues, we've seen and heard a lot of things over the last 23 years, but this one is hard for us to wrap our heads around. It's no wonder health ins. is so expensive.

Post Reply Post Reply
Try calling your insurance company and explaining this to them. See if you can find a covered provider that will sell you the machine instead of renting it. You can also call these providers and explain that you're not interested in renting, but you want to buy. Make it clear that if they won't sell you a machine you'll go to a different provider who will.

Supplier #2 sells gently used machines at bargain prices. Check back here before you buy. It's highly recommended that you get a machine that's a newer model.

I was just looking at their selection of bilevel machines (VPAP or BiPAP). They have three but I would recommend only one of them because the other two are older models.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-25-2013, 01:20 PM)Tom and Ginny Wrote: My husband, Tom, recently has been diagnosed with a sleep disorder and he's been given an order for a ResMed VPAP Adapt SV machine. Thanks.

Hi Tom and Ginny, welcome to the forum!!

For the US, Model 36037 is newest S9 VPAP Adapt (manufactured starting Nov 2012).

All ASV machines automatically adjust the inhalation pressure (called IPAP) to prevent central apneas. The older model (36007) does this, but, in addition, the 36037 has a new "ASVAuto" mode which can treat obstructive apneas better because it can automatically adjust the exhalation pressure (called EPAP) to prevent obstructive apneas. (A standard AutoPAP machine such as the S9 AutoSet can automatically adjust the EPAP but cannot automatically adjust the IPAP.)

Old model 36007 can automatically adjust the IPAP, but the EPAP pressure can only be adjusted manually.

The model NAME did not change, only the model NUMBER, so before you buy or accept a machine described as "S9 VPAP Adapt" or "S9 VPAP Adapt SV" and claiming to be newest model, email seller to make sure it is model 36037, not 36007.

Ordering numbers for the newest machine, from ResMed's Product List for US & Canada:
36037: machine itself
36047: package with machine plus humidifier (humidifier also has its own number, such as 36900 or 36901)
36057: package with machine plus humidifier plus Climate Line hose (hose also has its own number)
http://www.resmed.com/us/service_and_sup...clinicians

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
That's great information--thank you! I'll make sure I get the newer model.

Has anyone used the VA to get a VPAP machine? Is the machine free at the VA or do you still make monthly payments?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Aircurve 10 ST-A and Lumis 150 VPAP ST-A just a UK branding difference? SingleH 37 2,231 03-18-2024, 07:51 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Resmed s9 VPAP auto issue steven7685 0 313 11-17-2023, 03:14 PM
Last Post: steven7685
  Capabilities of ResMed S9 VPAP for treating UARS TryingToGetItRight 7 635 10-06-2023, 01:39 PM
Last Post: McDee
  Quick question for anyone with AirCurve 10 VPAP njf1525 4 626 08-01-2023, 10:22 AM
Last Post: njf1525
  Saving time/date in ResMed S9 vpap adapt Ed in SoDak 4 484 06-18-2023, 11:29 AM
Last Post: Ed in SoDak
  Resmed S9 VPAP Adapt ASV vs VPAP ST stanleyjack 4 467 04-05-2023, 02:06 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  How do i set these values on Resmed Lumis 150 VPAP ST fakeinternetmoney 7 1,229 08-28-2022, 08:53 AM
Last Post: fakeinternetmoney

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.