Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Very Difficult to be compliant my nasal pillow hurts the inside of my nose soo much
Very Difficult to be compliant my nasal pillow hurts the inside of my nose soo much
I just got the ResMed S10 with AirFit P10 nasal pillow last Wed (5 days ago).
I have been wearing the mask but can't keep it on all night, I wake up early in the morning and take it off, but only because it hurts the inside of my nose soo much. There is now a red "zit/cut" growth at the inner edge of my nasal bridge (the soft tissue not the cartridge).
I have tried all 3 pillow sizes (S, M, L) ...(was fitted with Medium initially). I have tried adjusting the straps, I have tried the Linolin lotion on the inside of my nose and outlining the nasal pillow.
Nothing seems to work.
Is this normal? What else should I try?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Very Difficult to be compliant my nasal pillow hurts the inside of my nose soo much
While all nasal pillows are designed to cause a minimum of abrasion to nose, it can happen for a variety of reasons, and each manufacturer can't always make the specs of their sizing right for each patient. While your best bet is to consider another manufacturer, another type of nasal pillow or move to a nasal mask, taking the current model in to your dermatologist might also be a solution if you are adamant about staying with the P10 - he can examine the material, the abrasion and the fit and determine the cause.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Very Difficult to be compliant my nasal pillow hurts the inside of my nose soo much
I had a worse skin reaction from using the lanolin than without.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi WakemeupBeforeYouGoGo,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You might ask to try a different type of nasal mask or another pillows mask than the one you ar using now, to see if that will help you.
Hang in there for more suggestions.
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy and fine tuning it.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm wondering if the mask is too tight. Using the pillows, especially the large pillows, shouldn't be able to impact the "inside" of the nostril all that much. If it feels nice and tight when you put it on, it probably is too tight. Adjust the bands, or stretch them a bit to get a looser, but still acceptable fit. Better a little higher leak result than a hurt nosie.
Post Reply Post Reply
I found with the Fisher Pillario it would almost peal off the skin on the inside of my nose in the morning when I took it off. I got some of that Lanolin titty cream and put the very tiniest amount on the entrance and around the start of the inside of my nose. Problem solved.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeap I thought so too, I thought that it might be the fit...but damn I've tried all 3 of them (S, M, L). I've tried moving the headband close together, then one on top of my head and the other nearly at my neck...no go.Dont-know

Here is the picture where it occurs but in my left nostril, however the area is the same. The circumferance around the nostril is indeed sore but that is nothing and was fixed with Linolin cream but the inner area is what bugs me...it has turned into a sore/cut/dimple.

I feel like I got nasally pleasured by the sleep fairy when I wake up.

Here is the picture where it hurts (had to modify the URL since I am not up to 8 posts yet so can't post direct links).
h ttps://i.imgur.com/yU9TxAT.jpg

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-19-2015, 09:11 PM)WakemeupBeforeYouGoGo Wrote: Yeap I thought so too, I thought that it might be the fit...but damn I've tried all 3 of them (S, M, L).

I bet you there are more than three sizes of noses and nostrils! Each manufacturer probably sizes slightly differently so trying another make might do the trick. Or it might not.

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
Try a different nasal pillow mask. That's why there are so many different ones out there. Some pillows sit further in, some sit barely in at all. Some individual pivot, some are locked in place.

Check out the Nuance next. It sits mostly on the outside of the nostril with minimal going inside. After that, there's the Pilaro which is popular.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I have to make sure mine is aligned right. The angle from top to bottom. If the strap is sitting too low on the back of my head, the nasal pillow tries to rotate in at the top. If I keep the strap up kind of high on the back of my head, the pillow stays out, all the way around.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bed Pillow Question SheShells23 5 157 03-25-2024, 08:34 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,810 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Staph Infection in Nose: Phaleronic 5 195 03-13-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  nasal decongestants helpful with stuffy nose? sleepingbetterinFl 1 151 03-12-2024, 12:23 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 321 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,975 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 172 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.