Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Very Difficult to be compliant my nasal pillow hurts the inside of my nose soo much
RE: Very Difficult to be compliant my nasal pillow hurts the inside of my nose soo much
(04-19-2015, 09:11 PM)WakemeupBeforeYouGoGo Wrote: Here is the picture where it hurts (had to modify the URL since I am not up to 8 posts yet so can't post direct links).
h ttps://i.imgur.com/yU9TxAT.jpg

Well shoot...... There's the problem. You've got two noses.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Very Difficult to be compliant my nasal pillow hurts the inside of my nose soo much
Same spots I had before the application of a lube... I think maybe the pillow sticks to the skin as it drys out then almost tears it when it gets moved.
I started out using a small amount of lube, but now I use way less.

Post Reply Post Reply
I found when I started using the P10 on the second night my right nostril got really inflamed (outside and in). I used the N10 for two or three days while it settled down. I realised I had the two straps together, which is max tightness. After I split them I have been ok although it did have some irritation in one nostril that went away (again I took a night off and used the Wisp I think). So, it could be how you have the straps and also you might need to take the odd night off and use another mask/pillow to allow it to settle down.
Post Reply Post Reply
The thing I found to be helpful besides the lanolin is when taking the pillows out in the morning, I turn the machine off and let it de pressurize for about 5-7 seconds then I gently squeeze the sides of the pillows and then remove them. I noticed if I'd just yank them out that I would get a really sore nose. I haven't had a problem since using a little finesse.
Post Reply Post Reply
You may need to get a nasal mask instead of a nasal pillow mask. Or even better, in addition to a nasal pillow mask.

When I first went to a nasal pillow mask, it irritated my nostrils. I had my nasal mask that I could wear when the nasal pillow mask irritated my nose too much. Now, my nasal pillows are like part of my skin.

Unfortunately, insurance usually won't pay for two masks. In theory, the DME should offer you one mask exchange if you can't fit the one you have.

One important point is that the nasal pillows should inflate up against your nostrils, not be held tight with the mask. It might help to run some warm water over the pillows before masking up to help them mold themselves to your nose.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-19-2015, 06:22 PM)WakemeupBeforeYouGoGo Wrote: Is this normal? What else should I try?

Try more masks. Your equipment supplier should have a 30 day return policy, where you can tell them it hurts and want to try something different.

Worst case (or best for some of us) is to just order a new mask online and see if you like it.

It's often no more expensive to just buy one, than it is to go through your insurance.

Post Reply Post Reply
I'm having a very similar problem. Supplier #1 offers return insurance on most masks, so I've ordered a couple full face masks to try. I've been using the ResMed AirFit F10 the last three nights, and while I don't like it as much as the P10 it has given my nose a break and time to heal. Otherwise I really like the P10.
Post Reply Post Reply
X2 for the Nuance Pro pillows. Love them.
Post Reply Post Reply
I can completely understand your pain WakeMeUp - I've been using the P10 for 3 weeks now and had to make adjustments - couple of ideas that I went with

-Retired_guy is right - stretch the fabric of the headband out - when its new even with the straps spread its too tight for me and causes nose issues

-Start with the large pillows - they should gently rest on the outside of the nose, not crammed inside (from the too tight headband) or fit inside your nostrils

-Lube up with Lansinol - got mine at the "bulls-eye" store in the nursing mother's section. The stuff works great on any abrasions

-Clean the pillows daily or at least every other day

Hope this may help - just had to replace my headband with a new one and stretch it out all over again. "No kitty, daddy's headband is not a chew toy, ahhh ahhh man!"
Post Reply Post Reply
I had problems with a nasal pillow. Felt like two power-tool air hoses had been screaming up my nostrils. I ditched it and got a full face mask. Now I am in heaven.
OSCAR ROCKS
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bed Pillow Question SheShells23 5 155 03-25-2024, 08:34 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,805 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Staph Infection in Nose: Phaleronic 5 193 03-13-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  nasal decongestants helpful with stuffy nose? sleepingbetterinFl 1 145 03-12-2024, 12:23 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 316 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,964 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 170 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.