Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Very Difficult to be compliant my nasal pillow hurts the inside of my nose soo much
RE: Very Difficult to be compliant my nasal pillow hurts the inside of my nose soo much
(04-19-2015, 06:22 PM)WakemeupBeforeYouGoGo Wrote: I just got the ResMed S10 with AirFit P10 nasal pillow last Wed (5 days ago).
I have been wearing the mask but can't keep it on all night, I wake up early in the morning and take it off, but only because it hurts the inside of my nose soo much. There is now a red "zit/cut" growth at the inner edge of my nasal bridge (the soft tissue not the cartridge).
I have tried all 3 pillow sizes (S, M, L) ...(was fitted with Medium initially). I have tried adjusting the straps, I have tried the Linolin lotion on the inside of my nose and outlining the nasal pillow.
Nothing seems to work.
Is this normal? What else should I try?

My best friend's husband uses something called Optilife Mask with nasal cradle, according to her he can't handle the pillows part going in the nostril at all.
Also, do you turn the machine on and let the pressure inflate the pillows before putting it against your nostrils? Good luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Very Difficult to be compliant my nasal pillow hurts the inside of my nose soo much
(04-19-2015, 06:22 PM)WakemeupBeforeYouGoGo Wrote: I have tried all 3 pillow sizes (S, M, L) ...(was fitted with Medium initially). I have tried adjusting the straps, I have tried the Linolin lotion on the inside of my nose and outlining the nasal pillow.
Nothing seems to work.
Is this normal? What else should I try?

I was also handed a medium initially. Then moved to a small and finally an xs during my first night. The extra small was not standard in the package with the head gear, but they had it at the sleep lab. Maybe try that?
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm having similar problems, though I think my sore spots are on the outside of my nose. I'm certain that it's due to too tight elastic (although angle might be part of it also, in my case). I just got my AirFit P10 kit 2 nights ago. But I've worn a Swift LT with nasal pillows for 4 years before that, so I know that I *like* nasal pillows.

However, I had my Swift LT adjusted so that the straps were very loose on my head. The nasal pillows were fairly floating on my nose. I don't move much at night (toe warmers balanced on the arches of my feet are still there come morning) so I can get away with such a loose fit. SOOO I may have to (wo)manhandle the straps on the AirFit P10 to stretch them out. I'll give the kit until Monday (adjusting where it is on my head), and I'll talk to my provider before I get really drastic (like cutting them and inserting a lengthener). Somebody else on the boards here mentioned that the "for Her" elastic is the same size as the "for Him" so I can't hope for a fix by asking for a "Him" kit.

I could go back to my Swift LT, but the dead quietness of the AirFit pillows is Sooooo Nice! At least, I think it is. Come to think of it, I was mentally complaining last night that the dog woke me up with her antics, and the mask noise no longer "masked" it. Hmmm...

Anyway --- I don't know if one can still get a Swift LT new, but the point is, there are other styles of mask, which aren't all elastic. That was only a little elastic, and was fitted with velcro, so I could adjust how tightly it fit. Complain, while you are in the initial period.

The XS size is in the women's kit, I think. I find larger to be better than too small, else I can't get enough volume of air through it. I use the M size, which is the largest provided in the women's kit.
Post Reply Post Reply
If the straps are too tight pull on them a bit to stretch them out. Then, if they get too loose wash them in really hot water to shrink them back up.

Post Reply Post Reply
Stretching the AirFit P10 helped - I didn't think it would stay stretched! I also put one strap at the front of my head, near my hairline, and the other strap at the base of my head in back, near the other hairline. The nasal pillows floated in place, and didn't jam into my nose. Much better night's sleep! I'll move the straps as the mask stretches out, with time.

Thanks
bgDeb
Post Reply Post Reply
I've heard of people stretching the headgear over a basketball during the day to stretch it out.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-25-2015, 11:27 AM)truetopath Wrote: I've heard of people stretching the headgear over a basketball during the day to stretch it out.

Won't work. You cannot get those little pillows into the even smaller airway hole on the basketball.
Post Reply Post Reply
FWIW, I use the large P10 pillows. Anything smaller was irritating. If it fits too far inside the nostril the pillow is too small.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hmmm -good data point! They don't seem to think a female will ever want the large size. I wonder if I should try it. I was on the Medium size pillow on my Swift LT mask for 4 years, though. I'll give it a few more days and see. Last night was quite good.
Post Reply Post Reply
I can’t use the P10. The large pillows are too small for my big nostrils and get pulled up inside my nose ?? every night. I keep a sore inside my nose. Stretching the headgear didn’t help since I have a very large head. Can’t stretch them enough. Now I am trying a FFM or two to see if they work better for me.
RedBarron

"For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ because it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, first for the Jew, and also for the Greek [Gentile]." Romans 1:16 CSB
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Adjusting to Nasal Pillow Mask DenKen31 9 974 04-12-2024, 09:57 PM
Last Post: MaskedOne
  Dripping Nose Lesley19 3 109 04-10-2024, 01:50 AM
Last Post: Lesley19
  Bed Pillow Question SheShells23 5 236 03-25-2024, 08:34 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,907 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Staph Infection in Nose: Phaleronic 5 285 03-13-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 7,255 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Unable to exhale against nasal pillow pressure? jle323 10 5,091 03-04-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Guerc13

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.