Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Waking up in middle of night terror can't breathe
RE: Waking up in middle of night terror can't breathe
Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one that had this happen.

I have a ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet with Amara View full-face mask. My settings are set for Auto-Start on.

Last night I awoke gasping for air and not getting any or very little through the small gaps between the mask and my face. The image of having your face covered tightly with a plastic bag and trying to breathe is exactly right -- IT TERRIFIED ME.

I don't remember what happened, maybe I pulled the mask off and put it on again, but the air flow started again and I went back to sleep. But I still woke up freaked out and have a horrible headache all day.

That's the problem with this mask -- there is no safety valve that if the air flow stops so you can still get air. It's a terrifying feeling.

I have a few questions:

1. What caused this? (the Auto-Start is set to on)

2. If it was caused by a power outage, then I could actually suffocate and die in my sleep if the power goes out. That's ridiculous. What safeguards can be done to prevent that ever from happening?

3. Can I put the AirSense 10 on a standard battery back-ups (like for my computer)?

4. IS THERE A SAFER MASK THAN THIS AMARA VIEW WITH A SAFETY VALVE, if the machine stops pumping air? I tried a Quattro full-face mask, but it was really uncomfortable. What else? Bear in mind my pressure is set to 16.

Post Reply Post Reply
Most of the full face masks have an anti-asphyxia valve that will not let that happen. I know fo a fact that the Mirage Quattro and the Simplus have the anti-asphyxia valve.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-02-2016, 05:06 PM)scottkeen Wrote: Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one that had this happen.

I have a ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet with Amara View full-face mask. My settings are set for Auto-Start on.

Last night I awoke gasping for air and not getting any or very little through the small gaps between the mask and my face. The image of having your face covered tightly with a plastic bag and trying to breathe is exactly right -- IT TERRIFIED ME.

I don't remember what happened, maybe I pulled the mask off and put it on again, but the air flow started again and I went back to sleep. But I still woke up freaked out and have a horrible headache all day.

That's the problem with this mask -- there is no safety valve that if the air flow stops so you can still get air. It's a terrifying feeling.

I have a few questions:

1. What caused this? (the Auto-Start is set to on)

2. If it was caused by a power outage, then I could actually suffocate and die in my sleep if the power goes out. That's ridiculous. What safeguards can be done to prevent that ever from happening?

3. Can I put the AirSense 10 on a standard battery back-ups (like for my computer)?

4. IS THERE A SAFER MASK THAN THIS AMARA VIEW WITH A SAFETY VALVE, if the machine stops pumping air? I tried a Quattro full-face mask, but it was really uncomfortable. What else? Bear in mind my pressure is set to 16.

I use that mask and it does indeed have a relief valve, you will not die.

I use a computer UPS, it will beep and wake me up while it still powers the machine at least for a while.

Do you have sleepyhead installed? look at the data and see what happened.

it could have been a power failure. You could have crimped the hose in your sleep ( I don't know your setup).

The manufacturers work very hard to keep their customers from dying caused by their equipment Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
I've been on CPAP for several months and twice so far have been panicked by not being able to get enough air. Both times it happened at the start of the night as I was trying to nod off. The machine (Airsense10 Autoset) was on, I just couldn't suck in much air. Each time I took off my nasal pillows, turned off the machine, waited a bit, then started again (with auto-on, as usual), and things were for fine for the rest of the night. I just figured it was some bug with the machine, but have yet to understand what exactly. I did not check my SleepyHead data; that's a good thought and next time I will check (but really hope there is no next time!).
Post Reply Post Reply
I have same machine and after only several weeks of treatment, I had same terrifying events you experienced. My chest was so painful that I thought I was having the "big one". After 2 of these events, I stopped treatment. Now I have been diagnosed with Complex Apnea which is Central Apnea which is being induced during treatment.My OSA'S were greatly reduced but it caused more CSA'S. Just a FYI.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  SleepHQ O2 Ring Alarm waking me up MurrayApnea 1 55 7 hours ago
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Flow Limit and frequent waking issues Premier1991 3 195 04-15-2024, 08:07 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Middle of the night wakeup SteveC 1 124 04-10-2024, 08:47 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Gross Waking up anxious Gailofiowa 3 112 04-09-2024, 08:10 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
Angry Waking Up with CPAP, Not Getting Full Nights Rest. What Settings to Change? xgrea40 3 325 04-01-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: jcp519
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 394 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
  [CPAP] Persistant night waking - Oscar results help please philjones 0 209 03-07-2024, 05:39 PM
Last Post: philjones

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.