Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Want a new apap
I will be seeing my Dr. in Nov. I will have had my machine for 13 months, which as I understand on Medicare the machine will belong to me. I have heard alot of good things about the Apap machines. Can my Dr. prescribe me another machine or how does this work with Medicare.
My intial sleep study said I has 96 ahi and now it is below 1. Pressure is set at 15cm/h20. I have three different kinds of masks, I switch between the full face and the wisk. I monitor my scard weekly. I think I could benefit with a apap machine.Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Medicare will not pay for another machine for 5 years; unless, your doctor can document a reason why you need a different type of machine.
That typically requires a new sleep study and a darn good letter of medical necessity.
Your profile says Remstar auto -- are you not on an APAP now?
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your profile says Remstar Auto, so what machine have you been using for the last 13 months.

Medicare generally will not authorize a new machine within 5-years of the previous one, and/or the machine you have is broken, serviceable or no longer effective. Your better bet would be to be sure you have a copy of your prescription, and consider purchasing through one of the vendors on Amazon, one of the suppliers listed in the supplier list, or perhaps obtain a used machine through Craigslist as a backup.

Given that you are effectively treated with less than 1 AHI and were issued your machine just over a year ago, I don't think you have a snowball's chance in hell of getting Medicare to pay for one, but you can always buy one.
Post Reply Post Reply

Hi robertl913,
WELCOME! to the forum.! Hang in there for more responses to your post and good luck to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi robert913,
Your profile says you are already using an auto machine (set in Cpap mode at a straight pressure of 15).

Perhaps you don't realize you can switch to auto mode and set a pressure range?

And to echo others, Medicare is not going to pay for another machine at least for 5 years.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

How to Organize and Post ScreenShots

http://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead/shorganize
https://sleep.tnet.com/reference/tips/imgur

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Medicare will not purchase another machine for at least 5 years and sometimes only then when proven your machine in non- repairable.
For free Medicare assistance for your state check out this page. http://www.seniorsresourceguide.com/dire...onal/SHIP/
or here http://www.medicareinteractive.org/
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Resmed S9 ... Set to APAP (or not)? dosco 54 1,585 04-21-2017, 09:44 PM
Last Post: bonjour
Question New Member - Just Started With APAP AndersonP 12 347 04-21-2017, 08:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Why do events occur with APAP machines BHappy 19 752 04-20-2017, 07:06 PM
Last Post: quiescence at last
  [Diagnosis] 1st night APAP - please comment Cuppa 8 273 04-10-2017, 10:55 PM
Last Post: Cuppa
  Issues moving from CPAP to APAP bhamill 15 566 04-08-2017, 06:51 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Ramblings about CPAP to APAP?, and stuff. Podd 24 968 03-21-2017, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Podd
  APAP Prescribed for Central Sleep Apnea? NeverRested 14 814 02-25-2017, 05:23 PM
Last Post: mymontreal