Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Want a new apap
Want a new apap
I will be seeing my Dr. in Nov. I will have had my machine for 13 months, which as I understand on Medicare the machine will belong to me. I have heard alot of good things about the Apap machines. Can my Dr. prescribe me another machine or how does this work with Medicare.
My intial sleep study said I has 96 ahi and now it is below 1. Pressure is set at 15cm/h20. I have three different kinds of masks, I switch between the full face and the wisk. I monitor my scard weekly. I think I could benefit with a apap machine.Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Want a new apap
Medicare will not pay for another machine for 5 years; unless, your doctor can document a reason why you need a different type of machine.
That typically requires a new sleep study and a darn good letter of medical necessity.
Your profile says Remstar auto -- are you not on an APAP now?
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Your profile says Remstar Auto, so what machine have you been using for the last 13 months.

Medicare generally will not authorize a new machine within 5-years of the previous one, and/or the machine you have is broken, serviceable or no longer effective. Your better bet would be to be sure you have a copy of your prescription, and consider purchasing through one of the vendors on Amazon, one of the suppliers listed in the supplier list, or perhaps obtain a used machine through Craigslist as a backup.

Given that you are effectively treated with less than 1 AHI and were issued your machine just over a year ago, I don't think you have a snowball's chance in hell of getting Medicare to pay for one, but you can always buy one.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi robertl913,
WELCOME! to the forum.! Hang in there for more responses to your post and good luck to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi robert913,
Your profile says you are already using an auto machine (set in Cpap mode at a straight pressure of 15).

Perhaps you don't realize you can switch to auto mode and set a pressure range?

And to echo others, Medicare is not going to pay for another machine at least for 5 years.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Medicare will not purchase another machine for at least 5 years and sometimes only then when proven your machine in non- repairable.
For free Medicare assistance for your state check out this page. http://www.seniorsresourceguide.com/dire...onal/SHIP/
or here http://www.medicareinteractive.org/
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 86 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 362 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 557 03-18-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460
  APAP optimization assistance jayed53 9 426 03-14-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: jayed53
  srwilsn3's therapy thread | APAP -> BiPAP srwilsn3 34 1,410 03-14-2024, 02:23 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Help optimizing APAP SomeUser 8 1,147 03-12-2024, 03:51 AM
Last Post: SomeUser
  APAP->Bi-level Titrating sleepymf 8 585 03-11-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: sleepymf

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.