Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

pressure question
RE: pressure question
If Oak were experiencing mostly obstructives, I'd say max it to 20, but she's getting mostly centrals. I'd go with Oak on this one, starting with 10|14, but then I like taking it in small steps.
[Image: dreamdiver-signature-gif.gif]
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-17-2013, 10:12 PM)Paptillian Wrote: Agree with others that you should figure out if the machine plateaus at 20 or somewhere before then.

Could this flow limitation be a sign of some kind of obstruction in the airway such as a deviated septum or nasal polyps?

nope-had deviated septum repaired in 1999. no polyps.

i am going to 10-14 tonight because i do get air in the gut and will see what happens. thanks everyone for your thoughts. it helps in understanding all of this crazinessCool
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-17-2013, 10:44 PM)DreamDiver Wrote: If Oak were experiencing mostly obstructives, I'd say max it to 20, but she's getting mostly centrals. I'd go with Oak on this one, starting with 10|14, but then I like taking it in small steps.

Two different issues going on. The first is the actual apnea events. With mostly clear airway apneas and an AHI less than 3 at that, the apneas are clearly under control with the current pressure settings.

If this were a fixed-pressure CPAP machine (or in that mode), everything would look just fine. However, she has the machine in auto-CPAP mode, and is therefore getting more information. The flow limitation is indicating that, while the obstructive apneas are under control, the pressure is close to the lowest point that will do so, and any other effects (such as sleeping on your back, alcohol consumption, etc) might push it over the edge and prompt the apneas to happen again.

It's your choice, Oak. If you want more of a "safety margin", go ahead an increase your upper pressure limit. Whether you go straight to 20 or increment slowly is your decision.
Post Reply Post Reply
thanks everyone for your feedback. i am set at 9-15 now and will leave it that way for a couple of weeks and see what happens.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pressure Support Question MrIvanDrago 16 1,280 01-02-2024, 04:55 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 18,629 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  [Pressure] Advice needed with question about inhalation pressure Dawna 13 877 10-11-2023, 11:08 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Any downside to using static pressure vs range pressure? hejohoo 6 922 09-08-2023, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  Question re ramp up/starting pressure airsense 11 rebean 3 599 07-17-2023, 01:58 PM
Last Post: Melman
  [Pressure] Pressure suggestions to reduce ear pressure? rv88 0 646 05-24-2023, 05:43 AM
Last Post: rv88
  [Pressure] BiPap air pressure question AmbitiousCut0 30 2,056 03-26-2023, 08:22 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.