Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Water leak risk from ResMed AirSense 10 Humidifier tank
Water leak risk from ResMed AirSense 10 Humidifier tank
I've put my AirSense 10 machine on my bedside table which is fairly nice wood, and am wondering what risk there is of water leaking onto my bedside table and damaging it, either during the night or while the tank is being removed or inserted.

Anyone have any comments or experience on that issue?

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Water leak risk from ResMed AirSense 10 Humidifier tank
You'll want to be sure the outside of the humidifier is dry before re-inserting.

If you notice excess moisture within the hose (from condensation from the humidifier), unplug it carefully so it doesn't drip onto the wood and hang it to dry. ( hang mine from the showerhead over the tub when I'm drying it after washing it out.

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-17-2016, 10:25 PM)ac110 Wrote: I've put my AirSense 10 machine on my bedside table which is fairly nice wood, and am wondering what risk there is of water leaking onto my bedside table and damaging it, either during the night or while the tank is being removed or inserted.

Anyone have any comments or experience on that issue?

Thanks

If you want to protect the wood, put something under the cpap! Smile
I use a rubber shelf liner, cut to size. This not only protects your firniture, but keeps the cpap unit from moving.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The unit actually stays in place quite well, it seems to have a silicone base, and I'm concerned that any leak would overflow any kind of plastic I put under it. I thought of a plastic tray but that would look odd on the night table.

I'd be interested to know if anyone's ever experienced a water leak onto the table from a ResMed AirSense 10.

Thanks, R
Post Reply Post Reply
If you insert the tank correctly and don't jostle it when you take it out you should have no problems. I have not experienced any tank leakage during operation of the unit.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
You will not have a leak unless you jostle it while putting it in and taking it out. However, one day, your bin will crack and you will have a leak. It will be when you are least expecting it. If I had a nice wood table that absolutely I would not want wrecked with water spotting, I would either switch out the table or put it into a lined basket or tray. My side table is painted with a layer of plastic resin on the top, so no problem with water.
Post Reply Post Reply
You could use a glass casserole to hold the CPAP. They are mostly transparent. It would collect any spill or break releasing water.

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
If your night stand has drawers, I would put the unit in the drawer. I have mine in the lower drawer of a 2-drawer night table, and a 2-inch diameter hole in the back allows the hose and electrical to be routed. It's nice because as good looking as my unit is, I really don't like looking at it as part of the bedroom decor, and during the day, everything is hidden from view. It's easy to open the drawer to grab the humidifier for filliing, or check data. Drawer is felt-lined, so it is very quiet.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Take the tank into the bathroom or kitchen, fill the tank and turn it over and shake it, see if you can get it to leak and just how much shaking it does take. I have done this and could not get it to leak with what I considered "reasonable" movement.
Post Reply Post Reply
Luckily I keep mine on a dish from an old microwave (large and very flat). Last night the humidifier tank gave out and leaked all over. The dish held most of the water. The seal in the S10 humidifier's water chamber is very sensitive to any shock, in my case tapping it on the edge of the sink as I was filling it). The leak is very subtle, a drop every 10 seconds or so, but enough to make a mess under the machine by morning. No way to repair the tub, as I wouldn't want to be breathing silicone glue fumes, so I need to order a replacement. Keep your CPAP on a tray or dish as an insurance policy to prevent it from destroying the finish of your furniture, and check under the machine periodically to ensure the moisture hasn't created any mold - you don't want to be breathing that in!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 24 452 57 minutes ago
Last Post: Pawpri
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 70 25,808 5 hours ago
Last Post: her.suit
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 33 10 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 242 Yesterday, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,411 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Not using water in AirSense 10 Elite Nishimark 2 95 03-21-2024, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Nishimark
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 619 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.