Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Water tub maintenance for ResMed S9 Elite
Water tub maintenance for ResMed S9 Elite
I've been using the ResMed S9 Elite for about four years with great success. My sleep clinic result was 498 episodes per 8 hours so there was plenty of room for improvement. Most nights I manage 7 to 7.5 hours good sleep with my AHI below 0. I've even once or twice managed a 0.0 reading! At age 77 that's about as good as it gets.

I don't have a problem with any of this but am curious to know whether anyone else has done what I do and/or whether there is anything dreadfully wrong with my maintenance habit.

From day one, I ignored the instruction in the manual not to disassemble the water tub as it didn't seem a particularly sanitary practice never to take it apart and give it a thorough clean so I have always taken it apart into its four separate components every morning, washed each part in warm soapy water, rinsed them thoroughly and let them air dry separately during the day before reassembling them at night and pouring in fresh distilled water. One of the plastic latches (the one at the back) has gone a bit wobbly but the entire thing still functions as it should.

I notice in the manual the plastic strap and latches don't appear at all in the pictures showing how to wash the tub and I can't see how one could wash the thing as a complete unit without the straps without all the pieces falling apart.

Anyone have any ideas about any of this?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Water tub maintenance for ResMed S9 Elite
This is going to sound like a crazy question, but bear with me.

Is the gasket between the metal bottom and the clear plastic top of your humidifier tub blue or yellow?

And how old is the humidifier tub?

The S9's humidifier tub was redesigned sometime in late 2012 or early 2013 and the newer tubs are designed to be opened for cleaning. They have yellow gaskets.

If your tub is over 6 months old, I would strongly suggest that you buy a brand new tub and specifically tell the DME that you want one of the newer S9 humidifier tubs that is designed to be opened for cleaning. There's even one S9 tub that is dishwasher safe if that's of any interest to you.
Questions about SleepyHead?  
See my Guide to SleepyHead
Post Reply Post Reply
There's no such thing as a crazy question when one is looking for help, robysue~! Thank you . . .

The thin gasket itself is black but the water level marker is yellow. I've had this tub since March 2011 and, as I said, it works extremely well in spite of my disobedient maintenance habits.

I live in Canada and am not familiar with the acronym DME. When I use my acronym checker I get either Durable Medical Equipment or Department of Medicine for the Elderly (UK) - would it be one of those?
Post Reply Post Reply
DME is your equipment supplier, an American term. You have one of the new tanks that can be taken apart for cleaning.

Your manual is showing the old tub, which was just one piece that was not intended to come apart. Your cleaning method is what is intended for the tub that you have. A new one is probably a good idea, they don't last for ever.
Post Reply Post Reply
My new rescue cat doesn't pay any attention to my CPAP headgear but I think the one you have on in your icon would definitely get a reaction! Thanks so much for your reply, chill - if the wobbly tab looks like breaking off completely I'll see about getting a new tub but, in the meantime, I'm very glad to know my maintenance method is okay. Thanks again . . .
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi again robysue and chill.... hours later, the thought just crossed my mind. The manual I'm using is the one that was available on this web site - for which I am and have been very grateful. As it seems to be out of date given the old photo of the water tub, you might want to see if one of the members has a more up to date version . . . just a thought.

Thanks again for your help today . . . Meg
. . . and a P.S. I will now show my gratitude by going to the donation page and make one . . . thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Maggie,
The fact that you have 4 pieces to your water tank and the gasket is black is a pretty sure sign that you have a dishwasher safe tank. The metal portion of the tank should be a dull grey (stainless steel). If it is a bright silvery color then it is probably aluminum and you have a tank that is made up of a combination of standard and dishwasher safe components. Normally the standard tank is 2 pieces and the dishwasher safe version is 4 pieces. Some people like to make a hybrid out of theirs and mix the components. One person that I am aware of uses the standard top with the stainless steel bottom from the dishwasher safe model. That gives him a 2 piece tank with a stainless steel bottom. He likes it.

I would recommend that when that clip lets go, you just try using it without. I think it might work OK.

When the clip lets go and if you find you must replace the tank, I would try to find a replacement part. If one is not available, I would get the cheapest standard tank you can buy and steal the plastic band with clips off of it and put it on your old one.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I have the older style tub that does not come apart. I clean it when it appears to need it. I soak it for a day in vinegar and then flush it well. It comes out sparkling clean and disinfected. Works for me but I wish I had one of the newer tubs.
Post Reply Post Reply
Looked in the manual for the VPAP S9 and it does not show a 1 piece water tank. In fact the water tank it shows through the whole manual is the dishwasher safe model. The Resmed S8 models had a 1 piece water tank. At least that is what my VPAP Auto 25 came with. There was a tank that could be opened up that was available for it but I think that they all came with the 1 piece tank.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I thank you all for your careful and useful replies. I've come to the conclusion thereby that I am not doing anything dreadful by dismantling my tub to wash and rinse it thoroughly every day so will continue to do so. Thanks again . . . Meg
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP compressed air path design, foam, filtration & maintenance MaNoise 10 227 03-25-2024, 11:07 AM
Last Post: MaNoise
  Not using water in AirSense 10 Elite Nishimark 2 93 03-21-2024, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Nishimark
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 89 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,807 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,373 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  [CPAP] Res Med S9 Elite bikerfriend 3 99 03-14-2024, 09:41 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 183 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.