Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

General Questions Finished first night with Airsense 10.
General Questions Finished first night with Airsense 10.
First I guess my stats:

33, 5'8" 198lbs
AHI 54 events per hour (at home sleep study)
Oxygen Level dropped to 64%
I sound like a dying hyena trying to sleep before this.

I was prescribed the Airsense 10 w/humidifier and a range of 5-15. This was my first night and using the ResMed pillows.

I am not a mouth breather but this was such a strange feeling if i yawned my mouth will fill with air and push my tongue to the top of my mouth. In response I let the air escape and just closed my mouth. I was awake most of the night getting 2.5 hours of sleep with 8.5 hours of usage trying to get to sleep.

The downfall I had a horrible headache, and my jaw hurts. Is this normal?

My partner reported great results no snoring or anything other than a nice soothing white noise. I could actually hear her sleep game changer. Luckily her sleep is peaceful.

Thanks in advance for the help! Thanks

Oh I Imported the data I think after I went to the bathroom I may have put the mask upside down on lead to this leak? But I don't really know what a huge leak is. I think it was the cause of some nose discomfort. I could go on and on.. So many questions and have read so many posts.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: General Questions Finished first night with Airsense 10.
Welcome phrenetic!

I am also a newbie here, but been on therapy since 2007. I only started tracking my therapy in July/2015. I was just another dummy who did what the Dr. said. I felt much better since I started therapy, but WAY better since I joined here and started to monitor it myself. I mostly had LL issues over the past 8 years, but it still was much better than before I started therapy in 2007.

Now that my LL issues are under control, I feel better yet. A huge leak is more than 24L for an extended period of time, short spikes don't count as you could have rolled over and moved the mask etc. I could show you some LL screen shots if you really want to see LL's!

You look like you are off to a good start, be patient, it takes time to get used to therapy/machine/masks etc. Give it a couple of days, I'll bet you get more comfortable each day.

Chuck

(09-19-2015, 11:04 AM)phrenetic Wrote: First I guess my stats:

33, 5'8" 198lbs
AHI 54 events per hour (at home sleep study)
Oxygen Level dropped to 64%
I sound like a dying hyena trying to sleep before this.

I was prescribed the Airsense 10 w/humidifier and a range of 5-15. This was my first night and using the ResMed pillows.

I am not a mouth breather but this was such a strange feeling if i yawned my mouth will fill with air and push my tongue to the top of my mouth. In response I let the air escape and just closed my mouth. I was awake most of the night getting 2.5 hours of sleep with 8.5 hours of usage trying to get to sleep.

The downfall I had a horrible headache, and my jaw hurts. Is this normal?

My partner reported great results no snoring or anything other than a nice soothing white noise. I could actually hear her sleep game changer. Luckily her sleep is peaceful.

Thanks in advance for the help! Thanks

Oh I Imported the data I think after I went to the bathroom I may have put the mask upside down on lead to this leak? But I don't really know what a huge leak is. I think it was the cause of some nose discomfort. I could go on and on.. So many questions and have read so many posts.

Post Reply Post Reply
@Chuck Thanks for the quick info. I have found so many people at work are on these machines and all try different masks ASAP. My father uses the pillows and loves them so do many others.

I'm just happy that I'm not the only one out there and this forum exists. I find the sleepyhead software much better than ReScan then again I may just not know how to use it or understand everything. I never knew so much was going on in a tiny little machine. I program Industrial Automation Equipment so I was expecting a simple PID loop and a differential pressure not all of this data.

Data gets me in trouble I love me some data!

-Ryan
Post Reply Post Reply
Looks like you may have fallen asleep from 22:10 until 23:15 when you got out of bed. After that you went back to bed and were awake for a long time. But between 1:15 and 6:20 it looks like you were asleep for most if not all of that time. I find that I think I was awake at times when I actually dozed off and was unaware of it. During this time your pressure was oscillating between 7 and 13.

Just hang in there and see what happens. Make no changes to the settings other than humidity level and ramp times. You need a base of data before making changes and you need to allow your body and mind to adapt. Humans adapt remarkably well if we just give ourselves time.

I had a really hard time getting used to the air blowing up my cheeks and hissing out of my mouth. Now I don't even notice that the machine is on. I have to verify it by holding my hand up to the exhalation ports to feel the air jet.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-19-2015, 12:13 PM)Sleepster Wrote: Looks like you may have fallen asleep from 22:10 until 23:15 when you got out of bed. After that you went back to bed and were awake for a long time. But between 1:15 and 6:20 it looks like you were asleep for most if not all of that time. I find that I think I was awake at times when I actually dozed off and was unaware of it. During this time your pressure was oscillating between 7 and 13.

Just hang in there and see what happens. Make no changes to the settings other than humidity level and ramp times. You need a base of data before making changes and you need to allow your body and mind to adapt. Humans adapt remarkably well if we just give ourselves time.

I had a really hard time getting used to the air blowing up my cheeks and hissing out of my mouth. Now I don't even notice that the machine is on. I have to verify it by holding my hand up to the exhalation ports to feel the air jet.

That's good to hear. I was a little concerned I may never get used to it 13 feels like a jet engine blowing down my throat. Which is fine I have the most problems at 9. For some reason it just makes everything uncomfortable. Will keep trying and reading posts on here! Thanks for the info.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with sleepster. Your graphs and stats look pretty good for night 1.
And, one night does not make a trend. (One cannot extrapolate from a single point.)
You really only had one large leak at around 03:10 AM.

I encourage you keep going; and you will adapt.

Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I love data also, it's the interpretation that causes the issues......Unsure

I think I'll just eat a doughnut. Simple PID loop...........Too-funny
(I had to look that up on wikipedia, now I understand, NOT!!)Oh-jeez

(09-19-2015, 11:29 AM)phrenetic Wrote: @Chuck Thanks for the quick info. I program Industrial Automation Equipment so I was expecting a simple PID loop and a differential pressure not all of this data.

Data gets me in trouble I love me some data!

-Ryan

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi phrenetic,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy and hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-19-2015, 12:59 PM)phrenetic Wrote: That's good to hear. I was a little concerned I may never get used to it 13 feels like a jet engine blowing down my throat. Which is fine I have the most problems at 9. For some reason it just makes everything uncomfortable. Will keep trying and reading posts on here! Thanks for the info.

You'll get used to it. Looking at your data, it's pretty likely that you will eventually want to move your lower setting higher. You're going to want to collect 30 days of data before you start slowly changing settings. I'm at a fairly narrow 14-17 band. After a year, 14 feels normal and I'm not aware of the machine at all.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 159 Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 270 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 620 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  Airsense 10 Respond Questions SheShells23 12 463 03-11-2024, 09:06 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  New - so many questions Matsu1 4 262 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Events worse in the morning and events in general getting worse Elizabeth79 45 1,995 02-14-2024, 07:48 PM
Last Post: Elizabeth79
  General Issues Lusk 3 343 01-22-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: paulag1955

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.