Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Weird light effect
Weird light effect
I sleep in a pitch black room and when I touch my mask I get a flash of light. Is this a normal thing? I figure that the incoming air must generate some kind of static electricity. I sleep on a bed sheet that is electrically grounded. Any thoughts on this?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Weird light effect
Just a guess: Perhaps when you touch the mask, you exert some pressure on the eye; which, in turn, stimulates a rod or cone to trigger an impulse.
Right or wrong, I'd wager it originates in the eye.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Grounded bed sheet? Tell us about that. Why? How? Is it conductive?

As for the flash, close your eyes. Look right. Press gently on the your left eye on the left side through the eyelid. Is the flash of light similar to what you see at night?
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-11-2015, 12:10 PM)archangle Wrote: Grounded bed sheet? Tell us about that. Why? How? Is it conductive?

As for the flash, close your eyes. Look right. Press gently on the your left eye on the left side through the eyelid. Is the flash of light similar to what you see at night?

The grounded bed sheets supports "Earthing" "Earthing is the landmark discovery that the disconnect may make us more vulnerable to stress and illness. Contact with the Earth appears to uphold the electrical stability of our bodies and serve as a foundation for vitality and health.

The sheet has conductive wires running through it and a connector that connects either to the ground portion of an electrical socket or a spike you pound directly into the ground. Some hotels are using this.

As for the light flashes, I'm positive it is not generated from my eyes as all I have to do it gently touch my mask, nowhere near my eyes, and the flash occurs. These flashes occur with my eyes open.
Post Reply Post Reply
Maybe it's dark energy?

(jk) I have no clue!
Smile
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
Some freaky paranormal stuff right there. Your mask must be well sealed from your face. Are you running a humidifier on your xPAP machine?

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
Are you near Roswell?
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-11-2015, 03:27 PM)AlanE Wrote: Some freaky paranormal stuff right there. Your mask must be well sealed from your face. Are you running a humidifier on your xPAP machine?

Yes, I am running a humidifier on my machine. The flashes of light are a bit mysterious as I have not seen anyone else mentioning them. I'm quite sure that I am not losing my mind or that the aliens are going to abduct me but something is going on. I experienced this with both my F&P Simplus mask and my Resmed Airfit F10 mask. It must have something to do with the bedsheets that are gounded or that I just have an electric personality. Either way, it is amusing.
Post Reply Post Reply
I can't resist jumping in on this...as a former engineer and just love technical mysteries.

Think about this a minute...the bed sheet is grounded and thus so is anything touching the sheet SO LONG AS THERE IS CONDUCTIVITY TO THE SHEET WIRES.

Secondly, the mask, hose (with air flow through them <<critical point) are electrically insulated from you, and thus from the grounded sheets, by the "rubber" of the seal. Hence they can be at a different electric potential than YOU.

Indeed, I hypothesize that the air flow is creating a charge on the hose/mask, and when you touch it, it sparks to send that charge, via you and the sheets, to ground, equalizing the potential until the circuit (you) is broken again..
Post Reply Post Reply
jcarerra, I've seen that phenomenon many times when bleeding vapor from some systems that I have worked on in the past. The static charge often builds up to several thousand volts and can snap an arc to ground in excess of one inch. I think that's what is taking place here since the mask and hose may not be sufficiently grounded to prevent that charge buildup. If the well grounded sheet wasn't present (providing a large surface area contact), the charge likely would never be noticed. Prevention would mean either running a ground strap to the hose or else keeping a hand on the hose while it's handling the air flow.

Dude
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Weird O2ring issue cps22 0 34 6 hours ago
Last Post: cps22
Sad Blinking Red light on my Airsense 10 machine please ? What does it mean cajones 9 11,501 03-15-2024, 02:34 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Equipment] O2 ring/weird heart rate/no other symptoms jdavis 6 192 03-09-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Airsense 10 - Bright light from on/off switch Dagmar 6 11,074 03-03-2024, 09:28 AM
Last Post: E.W.
  Oscar Data. No events flagged but weird flow rate pattern during REM Ynot 53 2,664 02-18-2024, 10:08 PM
Last Post: Ynot
  Weird spikes and then I wake up tiredguy1 4 291 02-12-2024, 10:33 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  ASV machine making weird sound on startup and when mask is disconnected kc90 7 285 02-08-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: kc90

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.