Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] What ASV machine has the most user settings/range?
RE: What ASV machine has the most user settings/range?
Quick Question: Can the ResMed go down to 9-10 breaths/minute?
Post Reply Post Reply
The BPM is not settable on the Resmed. It uses an automated algorithm that paces the user's respiration rate. As said in post #9:

Sets a suitable target minute ventilation for your patient: 90% of their most recent minute ventilation based on a three-minute moving average. When the patient’s minute ventilation falls below the target, PaceWave automatically adjusts the inspiratory pressure to provide backup support. As the patient’s breathing stabilizes, the pressure is rapidly returned to the minimum required.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-30-2018, 04:03 PM)SanFranSnorer Wrote: Quick Question: Can the ResMed go down to 9-10 breaths/minute?

I think I have read that the bpm is based on your last few breaths.

When I have may sleep transition problems,  my breathing rate drops from about 15- 16bpm  to about 7 bpm, and the asv10 continues at 7bpm and applies high IPAP on a breath by breath basis until I transition back to sleep at around 15-16bpm.  It kinda just follows my own breathing rate, which can vary a little  bit during these periods.

Maybe it is the target minute ventilation that it targets using the last 3 minutes, not bpm, and the breath by breath IPAP pressure is what tries to get you to the target minute ventilation.
Post Reply Post Reply
Like Sleeprider states, the rate isn't adjustable by clinical mode settings. But a FWIW, my breath rate has shown as low as 8 per minute via the machine display for an overnight session some time in the recent past. The ASV was able to follow along. FYI I'm a mixed apnea and COPD patient.

lots-o-coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
This is a link to the Resmed brochure from the Resmed site where the algorithm is described at a high level and where I got the quote from

https://www.resmed.com/content/dam/resme...%20PAP.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for posting that, jaswilliams. Good info.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 264,012 8 hours ago
Last Post: Poolboy
  New Bilevel user help with settings (oscar attached) opo218 6 121 10 hours ago
Last Post: opo218
  New Machine and settings not working snapperzz 3 146 03-26-2024, 02:10 AM
Last Post: snapperzz
  Oscar and SD cards for machine/user swap ahuman 3 143 03-15-2024, 11:29 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
Question Tidal Volume Acceptable Range trance 12 3,559 03-02-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
Smile [CPAP] Hello, newish user trying to get settings dialed in. RustyOs 0 264 02-11-2024, 12:18 PM
Last Post: RustyOs
  Central apnea, graphs' meaning and ASV machine settings GT26 4 283 02-09-2024, 12:11 PM
Last Post: GT26

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.