Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] What Part is Going Bad in My Machine ?
Question 
What Part is Going Bad in My Machine ?
My Respironics Series One is making a horrendous noise. It's been getting louder the over the past week. I just need to know what part is going bad so I can get it fixed.

I get my CPAP equipment through the VA. I took it there and the Tech said it's still pushing good pressure (measured it on an air gauge), but it's just noisy. He thought it may be a bearing. I'm not so sure of that.

Here's a video I put up on YouTube of the noise.

https://youtu.be/7vfc4gD9HTY

I have a new machine coming in the next couple days. I'm going to repair my current one to use as a backup machine.

TIA

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: What Part is Going Bad in My Machine ?
Your machine is about to fail. Get a new one or jump on a replacement on Craigslist. Repair parts are not available to consumers, and repairs are far more expensive than that machine is worth. If you want new, Supplier #33 is a good source for discounted machines. Used machines with limited hours are usually available on Craigslist and other used markets. I would focus on a Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset or Philips Respironics Remstar Auto. You should qualify for a replacement under insurance if your deductibles and copay are reasonable. I would think the VA can get you setup quickly. This is not your problem, and I would buy used rather than try to repair for a backup.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
SR, a heads-up: Phoenix's photo says "BiPAP autoSV Advanced", so an Airsense or a REMstar Auto won't do it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-17-2019, 07:25 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Your machine is about to fail. Get a new one or jump on a replacement on Craigslist. Repair parts are not available to consumers, and repairs are far more expensive than that machine is worth.  If you want new, Supplier #33 is a good source for discounted machines. Used machines with limited hours are usually available on Craigslist and other used markets. I would focus on a Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset or Philips Respironics Remstar Auto.  You should qualify for a replacement under insurance if your deductibles and copay are reasonable.  I would think the VA can get you setup quickly. This is not your problem, and I would buy used rather than try to repair for a backup.

Thank you for your reply.

I do have a free replacement coming from the VA this week. I believe it is going to be a Respironics Dreamstation.

I have access to an excellent electronics technician that does micro soldering. He can replace the little electric motor.... if that is the issue. Should be less expensive than a new one.

I recently obtained my CDL-A and possibly could do over-the-road driving in the future. I would need a 2nd machine as a mobile unit for the truck. Not going to do/un-do my primary machine for that purpose.

(02-17-2019, 07:36 PM)Fats Drywaller Wrote: SR, a heads-up: Phoenix's photo says "BiPAP autoSV Advanced", so an Airsense or a REMstar Auto won't do it.

Correct. I have Complex Sleep Apnea which requires that.

Is the Respironics Dream Station BiPAP autoSV ??
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-17-2019, 07:56 PM)PhoenixRising Wrote:
(02-17-2019, 07:25 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Your machine is about to fail. Get a new one or jump on a replacement on Craigslist. Repair parts are not available to consumers, and repairs are far more expensive than that machine is worth.  If you want new,  is a good source for discounted machines. Used machines with limited hours are usually available on Craigslist and other used markets. I would focus on a Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset or Philips Respironics Remstar Auto.  You should qualify for a replacement under insurance if your deductibles and copay are reasonable.  I would think the VA can get you setup quickly. This is not your problem, and I would buy used rather than try to repair for a backup.

Thank you for your reply.

I do have a free replacement coming from the VA this week. I believe it is going to be a Respironics Dreamstation.

I have access to an excellent electronics technician that does micro soldering. He can replace the little electric motor.... if that is the issue. Should be less expensive than a new one.

I recently obtained my CDL-A and possibly could do over-the-road driving in the future. I would need a 2nd machine as a mobile unit for the truck. Not going to do/un-do my primary machine for that purpose.

(02-17-2019, 07:36 PM)Fats Drywaller Wrote: SR, a heads-up: Phoenix's photo says "BiPAP autoSV Advanced", so an Airsense or a REMstar Auto won't do it.

Correct. I have Complex Sleep Apnea which requires that.
Post Reply Post Reply
Missed the photo! That is something you might want to put in the profile. The Auto SV Advanced will be worth the repair. This is probably the "pneumatic block" or the fan. It's an expensive repair, but much less than a replacement. Make a call to Supplier #27 and they will provide an estimate for repairs.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-17-2019, 08:04 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Missed the photo! That is something you might want to put in the profile. The Auto SV Advanced will be worth the repair. This is probably the "pneumatic block" or the fan. It's an expensive repair, but much less than a replacement. Make a call to  and they will provide an estimate for repairs.

Will do!

Murrysville eh ??  Cool  My wife worked at the McDonalds there back in 1982. I grew up in Greensburg. My wife is from Salem Twp ... William Penn Estates right off Rt 22 at 819. Real close to that huge gas pipeline explosion a couple years ago. She had family in Murrysville, Level Green and Trafford. I have a brother in Export.  Smile 

I've seen Respironics is located there as well.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-17-2019, 08:50 PM)PhoenixRising Wrote:
(02-17-2019, 08:04 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Missed the photo! That is something you might want to put in the profile. The Auto SV Advanced will be worth the repair. This is probably the "pneumatic block" or the fan. It's an expensive repair, but much less than a replacement. Make a call to  and they will provide an estimate for repairs.

Will do!

Murrysville eh ??  Cool  My wife worked at the McDonalds there back in 1982. I grew up in Greensburg. My wife is from Salem Twp ... William Penn Estates right off Rt 22 at 819. Real close to that huge gas pipeline explosion a couple years ago. She had family in Murrysville, Level Green and Trafford. I have a brother in Export.  Smile 

I've seen Respironics is located there as well.

If you find yourself back in town with your wife, a date a Olives and Peppers restaurant would be a good idea. Smile

Just sayin', I'd skip the McDonald's. but we have a dozen or so worthwhile places...the Respironics guys hang out at the Helltown Brewery in Export (formerly Rivertowne).
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
I've heard that there was a lot number of those units that had faulty turbo-encabulators. Probably need to have that serviced, but I don't know if you can find on still out there They're becoming kind of rare.
There.  I said it.

OMMOHY
Contrarian in Residence  
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-17-2019, 10:59 PM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote: I've heard that there was a lot number of those units that had faulty turbo-encabulators.  Probably need to have that serviced, but I don't know if you can find on still out there  They're becoming kind of rare.

Wasn't that the model with the Cummins power plant rather than GM?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 265,030 04-15-2024, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy
  Can I buy just the Airsense 10 Motor replacement part? JohnReam 33 10,490 03-29-2024, 02:30 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Eagerly seeking ancient CPAP part ! Visualist 3 351 03-12-2024, 09:34 PM
Last Post: Visualist
  Alternative Part? sambo42xa 1 436 08-27-2023, 10:17 AM
Last Post: sambo42xa
  Need help with part identity F&P Icon Novo Vsidles 2 390 05-03-2023, 07:31 PM
Last Post: Vsidles
  AirCurve 10 - Where does leftover part go? markc1117 4 746 11-19-2022, 01:46 PM
Last Post: markc1117
  Airsense 10 motor replacement part TYPHOONBOB 7 18,001 09-22-2022, 05:21 AM
Last Post: vk3hjq

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.