Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] What if reservoir runs dry?
What if reservoir runs dry?
Hi everyone, I just joined earlier today and have been reading many comments. Very happy to have found this board, which is loaded with good information and very helpful people!

For about 18 months, I've been using the Fisher & Paykel Sleep Style 600 with nasal pillows, pressure at 6. It's helped me a great deal. I have a question that someone might be able to answer.

This machine has its own water reservoir.

If, by accident (I do follow the cleaning and maintenance recommendations faithfully), but IF by accident the water reservoir goes empty while the machine is running, will it 1) damage the machine or 2) overheat the machine and possibly cause a fire? Thinking-aboutHuh

Hope these questions aren't stupid.

Mickey
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: What if reservoir runs dry?
No, they aren't stupid questions.

What will happen is nothing. It really does not get hot enough to boil the water. The hottest I've ever felt it (yeah, I stick my finger in there to see) is just slightly higher than tepid.

What *may* happen is you will smell it get hot. For me, I wake up sneezing my head off. I smell something like ammonia and I will sneeze for quite some time! It is beyond annoying.

So I check it each night (open the lid and stick my finger through the hole since the S9's humidifier tank is hidden). If It is lower than my first knuckle, I fill it.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I don,t think it would damage the machine or causing a fire just you would be breathing dry air for a while and might dry up the sinuses also if using tap water might get some deposit in the tank and a nasty smell from overheating. If you,re running out of water try reduce humidity until there is some water left in the tank in the morning. Does your machine AHI and leak info

Post Reply Post Reply
I've let mine run dry by accident. It didn't cause any damage to the machine.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you, Paula 02, Zonk, and Sleepster, for your very swift and welcome replies. I appreciate it!

And, as a Reiki Master, I really love your signature, Paula 02, "Breathe deeply and count to zen." Great! I just printed that out and posted it on my refrigerator door (where all important things go) to remind me of that wise saying when I really need it!

Mickey G.
Post Reply Post Reply
It is something I saw in a catalog from Northern Sun. I am getting it as a poster or something to put here in my office.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the info, Paula 02 -- I will order that poster. I need all the zen I can get!

Mickey
Post Reply Post Reply
I also like to breathe deeply and count to zen. That practice keeps me from signing my personal emails with,"Raise your hand if you know someone who remains alive only because you don't have enough money to hire a hit man."
This post is a natural product. The slight variations in spelling and 
grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way 
are to be considered flaws or defects.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-20-2012, 11:44 PM)Cutter Wrote: I also like to breathe deeply and count to zen. That practice keeps me from signing my personal emails with,"Raise your hand if you know someone who remains alive only because you don't have enough money to hire a hit man."

DielaughingDielaughingDielaughing

Suz
Post Reply Post Reply
I accidently let mine go dry once! After waking up to that terrible smell I check it regularly every night , and usually top it up every third night.
I never want to smell that smell again!!!!!! Oh-jeez
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Replacing AirSense reservoir seal/ gaskets- anyone? S.L. Ping Beauty 9 1,427 04-11-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: kalensk
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,932 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Am I crazy for complaining to this DME seller about the reservoir I ordered? sweetbobby 14 537 03-08-2024, 01:18 PM
Last Post: sweetbobby
  Airsense 10 humidifer reservoir runs dry after 4 hours jwtm 18 1,253 12-24-2023, 06:44 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [CPAP] CPAP starts and runs like it's doing a leak check after getting a new mask ironballsmcginty 1 422 09-28-2023, 05:06 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  fl runs+ breathings problems Gorge 0 540 05-25-2022, 05:19 PM
Last Post: Gorge
  Larger reservoir for Air Sense 10 Autoset RonKMiller 32 22,740 03-27-2022, 01:04 PM
Last Post: kalvinjuice

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.