Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] What is the right mask?
What is the right mask?
Hi everyone. I am new to this, so I will try to keep this brief. I had my first sleep study in 2007, diagnosed with mild sleep apnea. I tried the CPAP for 3 weeks and couldn't tolerate it. In May 2013, I became desperate. My sleep quality deteriorated since my last study in 2007, I gained weight, headaches etc which I never had in 2007. I did another sleep study and was diagnosed as mild to severe OSA. I bought a Resmed S9 Autoset, with the humidifier and climate control hose etc. It has been a month since using it, and I feel better (no more morning headaches) but averaging 5 hours sleep/night. I often wake up at night (once only), and pull the mask off then back on again. I use a Resmed mirage full face mask and it is very uncomfortable, leaving deep indentations in my face and leaking sometimes when I shift in my sleep. Can anyone recommend a more comfortable brand mask? By the way, I tried the F & P bluegel nasal mask. Very comfortable but can't seem to get quality sleep with it. So, for now I prefer the full face.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: What is the right mask?
(07-29-2013, 07:49 AM)Phadrius Wrote: .. I often wake up at night (once only), and pull the mask off then back on again. I use a Resmed mirage full face mask and it is very uncomfortable, leaving deep indentations in my face and leaking sometimes when I shift in my sleep. Can anyone recommend a more comfortable brand mask? By the way, I tried the F & P bluegel nasal mask. Very comfortable but can't seem to get quality sleep with it. So, for now I prefer the full face.

Do I assume correctly that you are using a full face mask because you are a mouth breather?

If not, then go to a different style mask (nasal or nasal pillows). Even if you are a mouth breather you may be able to get away with a nasal or nasal pillow mask plus a chinstrap.

Don't worry about having problems with your first mask. I had to go through nine masks before I found one that worked and I could tolerate. In the CPAP world the devil is in the mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum!!! We are glad you joined us!!! Welcome

In response to your question, I would recommend working with your DME to try different manufacturers and/or styles of masks until you find the one that works for you.

Sleep-well
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am a mouth breather Phadrius, but have opted for the Wisp Nasal Mask with a chin strap. I avoided nasal masks for four years then I found several to be more comfortable than my Total Face Mask (TFM). Your mask should not be leaving any marks on your face. It's just unacceptable and not to be tolerated. You can do better. I have found the newer models of the Quattro to be more comfortable. The Quattro FX I found to be hard to adjust, but when fitted properly was comfortable. I recently tried the new Quattro Air, but unfortunately did not read all of the blurb before ordering and bought a medium when I needed a large. It was comfortable and seemed to fit right, but during the night would creep up on my chin and leak like crazy. I think the large would suit better. You may be tightening the mask too much- it takes practice to find the right bit of tightness without over tightening.
If you're up to trying a nasal mask using a chin strap I highly recommend the Wisp. I used to think I couldn't use a nasal mask because of nasal congestion, but find that after a few minutes my nose cleared and I could breathe freely in and out.
As I said it took me five years to come to this place of having a great mask. Most of us have bought masks out of pocket trying to find one that fits, works and is comfortable.

Is five hours/night your usual sleep time? I usually sleep nine hours and then am ready to get up.
Good Luck and keep us posted.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Phadrius,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
The mask is the hardest part of this therapy.
Don't be shy about trying as many masks as you need 'til you find just the right one for you.
The mask is a very individual thing, what I might like, you might absolutely hate and what will work for me, might not work for you at all.
Best of luck to you and keep us posted.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Try the FX mirage nasal mask by Resmed, not he pillows. They tore my nostrils raw. If keeping your mouth shut is a problem, use he ruby chin harness. I had the same problem and his is exactly what solved my problem. Hope that helps.
Post Reply Post Reply
I second Skyler (although I am not a mouth breather and don't require the chin strap), I find the Wisp a very comfortable mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
Many thanks to you all for responding with good advice. The problem with me using the nasal mask is: My right nostrel is 95% blocked, permanently. This is a result of a deviated septum. This would mean I would essentially be breathing through one nostrel 100% while the other is between 5-20% breathable. So, I believe I am stuck with the full face for now. Once again, thanks for the advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-02-2013, 06:41 AM)Phadrius Wrote: Many thanks to you all for responding with good advice. The problem with me using the nasal mask is: My right nostrel is 95% blocked, permanently. This is a result of a deviated septum. This would mean I would essentially be breathing through one nostrel 100% while the other is between 5-20% breathable. So, I believe I am stuck with the full face for now. Once again, thanks for the advice.
Surgery to get that septum repaired is not that bad. Medicare paid for mine.

Post Reply Post Reply
H Don,

I have had Rhinoplasty and syptoplasty (not sure of spelling). Anyway, surgeon said the bone is too thin to have more surgery and may result in more damage. So, I am stuck as I am for now.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,530 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,219 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,758 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Help with mask, Definition of EPAP/IPAP and Mask Pressure wesozzzz 1 1,094 11-15-2019, 07:57 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  What's the mask setting of Dreamstation for Bleep DreamPort mask? ChinaMan 5 2,427 10-11-2019, 07:17 PM
Last Post: ChinaMan
  Changing mask from p10 resmed to philips respironics: Mask seal issue Visitor 10 4,835 10-11-2019, 07:25 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Personal Experience On Nasal Mask Compared with Full Face Mask ramphil2019 19 4,533 04-07-2019, 12:01 AM
Last Post: ramphil2019

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.