[Equipment] What machine is a step up from VPAP Autoset 25?
Sleepster Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: ResMed AirCurve10 VAuto
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: HumidAir and SlimLine Hose
CPAP Pressure: MaxI 13.6 | MinE 5.2 | PS 4.4
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Diagnosed Nov 2011. Conquered aerophagia.

Sex: Male

RE: What machine is a step up from VPAP Autoset 25?
I don't trust comparisons of AHI between ResMed and Respironics, either. If I have an average AHI of 2.3 with a Respironics machine and 1.3 with a ResMed machine I don't conclude that the ResMed machine is giving me a lower AHI, and vice-versa.

Sleepster
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
07-05-2014 01:29 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
archangle Offline
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Swift FX
Humidifier: ResMed S9 H5i
CPAP Pressure: 16-20
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Happy PAPper

Sex: Undisclosed

I believe (hope?) that the difference is in scoring the apneas that are borderline in terms of duration or completeness, in which case it doesn't matter that much.

Yet another reason everyone needs a fully data capable machine and should check the airflow waveforms if needed.

Get the free SleepyHead software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
07-05-2014 01:32 AM
robysue Offline
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: PR Dreamstation BiPAP Auto
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Swift FX
Humidifier: PR Dreamstation humidfier
CPAP Pressure: min EPAP = 4; max IPAP = 9;
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic EncorePro

Other Comments: Papping since September 2010

Sex: Female

(07-05-2014 01:07 AM)archangle Wrote:  A number of people have reported that the S8 detects more apneas than the S9. Consensus seems to be that the algorithms are less stringent. Which one is more accurate is up for debate.
Actually the problem is more a discrepancy in the number of hypopneas scored, not apneas. The line for scoring an H is fuzzy to begin with---starting with the AASM Rule 4A vs 4B mess. And it seems as though Resmed drew the line more loosely on the S8 than the S9; hence its easier for the S8 to score an H than it is for the S9.

A lot of folks over at Vendor #1's forum who have used both the S8 and S9 say that the S8's over reported the Hs and some of them believe the S9 may underreport the Hs.

But the over reproted Hs on the S8 would be scored as FL on the S9, and hence the S9 is still going to respond to them. Indeed it may respond more aggressively to them as FL than it would if they were classified as Hs.

Questions about SleepyHead?
See my Guide to SleepyHead
07-05-2014 01:35 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
Sleepster Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: ResMed AirCurve10 VAuto
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: HumidAir and SlimLine Hose
CPAP Pressure: MaxI 13.6 | MinE 5.2 | PS 4.4
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Diagnosed Nov 2011. Conquered aerophagia.

Sex: Male

(07-05-2014 01:32 AM)archangle Wrote:  I believe (hope?) that the difference is in scoring the apneas that are borderline in terms of duration or completeness, in which case it doesn't matter that much.

Which is exactly the reason why AHI measurements lack precision.

I make the analogy with measuring humidity. If you've ever done it using a pair of thermometers, one of which is kept in a wet sock, you know this. The difference in the two thermometer readings is used to calculate the humidity. If you change that difference by just a half of a degree the humidity may change by as much as 5%.

If you send someone into a room to measure the temperature and humidity repeatedly you might get report that looks like this:

Temperature 74 °F, humidity 53%.
Temperature 74 °F, humidity 58%.
Temperature 73 °F, humidity 57%.
Temperature 74 °F, humidity 52%.
Temperature 73 °F, humidity 60%.

Someone looks at that data and concludes that the temperature is pretty steady but the humidity fluctuates quite a bit. Why does it change so much?

And the answer is because that's just the way it is!

AHI is more like humidity, where we can't get as reproducible a resultas we can with temperature.

Sleepster
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
07-05-2014 01:48 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Question [Equipment] S9 VPAP AUTO QT2U 0 162 11-05-2016 12:27 AM
Last Post: QT2U
  resmed s9 vpap s faliure marcus112 6 392 10-21-2016 08:57 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 2 6,209 10-12-2016 11:37 AM
Last Post: DariaVader
  Still struggling with Resmed Aircurve 10 vpap auto after 7 months ckingzzzs 2 395 07-18-2016 09:40 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Looking for some thoughts on VPAP use ckingzzzs 7 919 07-18-2016 06:59 PM
Last Post: ckingzzzs
  Why did the air from my S9 VPAP Auto suddenly get very warm PaytonA 2 337 07-13-2016 12:40 AM
Last Post: chill
Question [Health] Can a VPAP machine make your lung lazy? emamm 9 4,035 06-07-2016 04:52 PM
Last Post: eseedhouse