Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] When can I get a new machine?
When can I get a new machine?
My current ResMed S10 is 5 years old with over 16000 hours and is still working fine. I am considering buying a new one and keeping the old one as a backup. I am on a Medicare Advantage Plan and I understand you never really own the machine. However, I can’t imagine they would ask for the machine back to refurbish. 

Questions:
1. Will the DME make me state the machine is broken?
2. Will the DME make me send the unit in for repair/exchange?
3. What are other things that could go wrong?
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: When can I get a new machine?
Rcgop,
If you have a Medicare Advantage Plan, then you took ownership of that machine after 13 months.  Believe me, they won't ask for it back.

If you are considering replacing your machine, Medicare does consider replacement after 5 years, especially if you feel it's not performing up to par.

Have your Doctor put in a request to the DME for a new machine.  They will submit the request to Medicare.
In the meantime, call your insurance to doublecheck your coverage and deductible amounts if applicable, so there are no surprises.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think it depends on your supplier. I had my dreamstation for 5 1/2 years and when I went to the supplier with a new RX in hand, they said they could not do anything if the machine was still working. They then said if it had been dropped or it had water damage they could. It seemed to me that they were telling me to break my machine so I could get a new one.

I purchased a used one from Supplier #2 from the supplier list at the top of the site. I then sent the RX and my receipt to Myinsurance and they reimbursed me for the cost of the machine. I had to pay $49 I payed for a 2 year warranty from the supplier.

Of course ask your insurance about reimbursement for durable equipment and buying used.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
You may wish to wait a while as it is rumored that there will be an Airsense 11 series in the future. But nobody knows when. A previous post on FCC and FDA approvals tends to confirm it has been developed and is undergoing certification. As always, ResMed is keeping quiet.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,198 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  machine died! Now new doctor and new machine Bjazzman 17 6,797 09-05-2022, 09:07 PM
Last Post: NValtman11
  [CPAP] Using SoClean Machine with CPAP Machine ronald1810 4 1,320 06-01-2022, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Pin from power plug stuck in machine ResMed cpap machine B10576 12 6,757 04-08-2018, 08:24 PM
Last Post: Hellodare
  Forgot to put card back in machine, is there a way to copy it from machine to card? Marnid2014 6 6,251 04-06-2014, 08:54 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.