Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] When do you own your CPAP?
When do you own your CPAP?
I thought you rented your equipment for a year after which you owned it. Just asked my insurance company and they said ownership is not transferred. 

What gives?
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: When do you own your CPAP?
It really depends on the arrangement the insurance company makes with the DME. Some rentals are 3-months, some are 13 months, and some are permanent rentals. The permanent rentals have service agreements attached to them.

Do you have a co-pay? Long term rentals or leasing are one way insurance companies can cover you, and have you bear nearly the entire cost through deductibles and co-payments. In those cases it is usually better to buy your own.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, I have a co-pay.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Dang. Sounds like good reason to just buy one yourself.

My insurance company pays for it over the 13 months, and then I own it. I pay a cost-share each month, depending on my deductible.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-06-2017, 04:23 PM)Rcgop Wrote: Yes, I have a co-pay.

It might be worth your while to do the math.  I know that there is a supplier selling Airsense 10 Autosets through Craigslist in your area for $495.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would check again with insurance and ask specifically how long you will make monthly payments. I have a copay of $9.50 a month for 10 months.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-06-2017, 04:17 PM)Rcgop Wrote: I thought you rented your equipment for a year after which you owned it. Just asked my insurance company and they said ownership is not transferred. 

What gives?

sounds like your particular insurance andor dme and the contract you signed

my dme said i own it in a year per my insurance deal

(04-07-2017, 12:14 AM)Melman Wrote: I would check again with insurance and ask specifically how long you will make monthly payments. I have a copay of $9.50 a month for 10 months.

only 9.50 !!!!

i wish !

who is your insurance co
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-07-2017, 12:14 AM)Melman Wrote: I would check again with insurance and ask specifically how long you will make monthly payments. I have a copay of $9.50 a month for 10 months.

I pay a copay of 8.89 and the insurance pays about 60.00. It may mean I will only make 13 monthly payments even though I will never have legal title to the machine. This is ok by me but if I have to continue paying after my 13 month, I will turn in my machine and buy one somewhere else.
Post Reply Post Reply
Wow, much different system up here in Canada (or in Ontario at least).  Our provincial health insurance pays $765 of the total cost of the machine.  My private insurance pays the balance.  The DME billed my insurance company directly so I walked out of the office with a machine and two masks and paid nothing out of pocket.  I own the machine outright and my insurance will cover the full cost of replacement masks every six months and a new machine every five years.
Post Reply Post Reply
Mine was paid off over thirteen months by my insurance, Anthem Blue Cross.  After that,ownership became mine.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.