Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] When do you own your CPAP?
RE: When do you own your CPAP?
My insurance paid the DME over 13 months. The Apap was mine starting with the 14th month.

The reason most insurances pay over a period of months is due to the fact that many folk give up on Cpap and return their machines.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-08-2017, 07:40 AM)OpalRose Wrote: The reason most insurances pay over a period of months is due to the fact that many folk give up on Cpap and return their machines.

That is interesting, I would do the same were it not for our driving regulations.

Do we have a fix on why people dump their machines?
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-08-2017, 08:12 AM)Phill Wrote:
(04-08-2017, 07:40 AM)OpalRose Wrote: The reason most insurances pay over a period of months is due to the fact that many folk give up on Cpap and return their machines.

That is interesting, I would do the same were it not for our driving regulations.

Do we have a fix on why people dump their machines?

I think one of the biggest reasons people dump their machines is their sleep doctors let them down in getting their equipment setup so they can succeed with their treatment. That is why it is so important to keep this forum going so people like Sleeprider, bonjour and all of the other helpful folks here can step in to help people who are stuggling with their treatment.

My insurance company was renting my machine for thirteen months before purchasing it, at which time it would be mine. They paid it off a few weeks early, however, because I had been 100% compliance for several months.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-08-2017, 08:12 AM)Phill Wrote: Do we have a fix on why people dump their machines?

There are probably a dozen common reasons, but one of them is that they are often required before being approved for bariatric surgery.  Insurance pays for it, the patients never use it or only use it until surgery and then never use it again and sell it.  The one I bought for a backup had ZERO run hours.  Around here, they will have more run hours because the centers actually make them bring the machines in and they check the run hours.   Laugh-a-lot
Post Reply Post Reply
I got my latest machine free from the V.A. This is my 5th machine that I got from them.

thanks Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Could the reason they dump them possibly be because they have been given a faulty diagnosis?
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-08-2017, 03:27 PM)Phill Wrote: Could the reason they dump them possibly be because they have been given a faulty diagnosis?

Although possible, but a faulty diagnosis is rare in my opinion.

I would have to say that way too many people are given a machine and sent home with little or no instruction.  Not only that, they sometimes are not given the right machine.  Then on top of it all, they don't have doctors that care to look at their data and try to help improve their therapy.  This causes many to give up.

The many that find their way here and take advantage of the advice that others are willing to give are lucky.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Although I didn't dump my machine, I also used it very little for a number of years. The reasons were:
  • I had trouble finding a mask that didn't make the bridge of my nose raw and got no meaningful help from my DME or Dr.
  • I was given a birck so couldn't see data if I wanted to or knew how to interpret it.
  • Most of the time I felt as good without it as with it. I've since learned that it is probably because the pressure setting wasn't providing adequate therapy.
  • The only interest my Dr. seemed to have was whether I used it or not.
Basically, it's because there was nothing associated with the whole experience that motivated me to use it.

When I finally gave up on Apria and switched to Lincare they informed me that my machine was obsolete and that I could get a new one with an order from my Dr.
I got the prescription and was lucky to get and AirSense 10 auto. (The Dr. didn't specify it.) Then I remembered having visited this forum, came back, and thanks to the forum have my therapy pretty well optimized.  I suspect many dump their machines for the reasons I listed. Because in mos cases they get no meaningful support from their Drs. or DMEs.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
"Most of the time I felt as good without it as with it.
The only interest my Dr. seemed to have was whether I used it or not".

And that:  I suspect many dump their machines for the reasons I listed. Because in mos cases they get no meaningful support from their Drs. or DMEs.

Exactly my experience, just so long as I record 4 hours sleep, if I take the mask off after that time and try to get some decent sleep as far as they are concerned I could die.
And I would say I feel as if I have had a better sleep without it.

I do find that beer helps. Dielaughing
Post Reply Post Reply
Getting back to the main topic as asked by Rcgop, as far as when you own your machine:

It seems to vary depending on your insurance coverage and the contract between supplier and insurance company.  

The best thing to do is call your insurance and find out before going to the DME or supplier so that there are no misunderstandings.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.