Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Where Can I Buy Cheapest Supplies?
Where Can I Buy Cheapest Supplies?
Every 30 days, like clock work, I get a phone call from the home health store telling me that I'm due for new cpap supplies (as if I didn't know). My cpap stuff is supposed to be paid for by my insurance, so of course I'm going to go get new supplies when I'm due for new ones. Usually the insurance pays for it. However, there has been at least a couple times that I receive a bill in the mail. If I'm going to be charged, then I'm sure as heck not going to be getting my supplies from them. I'll spend a third of the price and get them on ebay.

Has anyone else had this problem about inconsistent billing? It would be nice to know beforehand if I'm going to have to pay out of pocket. At first I thought it might be because I hadn't met my deductible, but I don't think that's the case as I haven't been billed for previous supplies that I've gotten earlier in the year.

If I purchase supplies on my own, is ebay the cheapest way to get them? I haven't seen anywhere else that isn't full blown retail pricing.

Also, how often do you change your filters? I get two per month from the home health store. Whenever I change the filter, the old one isn't dirty at all. It looks just as clean as the new one that I'm about to put in. Do I really need to replace the filters that often, or is that just a way for the home health store to make more money? 

Any advice is appreciated. I'm still pretty new at this whole cpap thing, and still getting used to the idea of paying good money for the ability to breath while I sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Where Can I Buy Cheapest Supplies?
In m opinion the recommend schedule for replacement supplies is far to frequent. I change filters every 6 to 8 weeks. I've been using the same F20 mask for about 2.5 years and have changed the cushion only once. I've replaced the humidifier once because the original developed a leak at around 1 year. I have been using the "new" chamber for close to 2 years. I changed hoses after about one year because I switched from a standard hose to a heated hose. I've been using that hose for about 2 years. I keep at least one spare of everything but see no reason to spend or more frequent replacements. If it works, why replace it?
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
You could check with your insurance either by website or calling customer service to see what their guidelines are for DME supplies. My insurance was Medicaid which emulated Medicare in scheduling and coverage. Now I'm on actual Medicare. Their guidelines seem to be used for this in quite a few circumstances.

Changing parts out is up to you to decide when you do it, such as filters. It depends on how dusty the house is I suppose. Personally, I would change these as recommended as it's to protect the machine. I'd not go by what it looks like, but that's me.

If you want to buy your own supplies, no doubt you can pay less than the DME pricing. And on the DME sending a bill, take a stand against it if it is charging you and the insurance. Double billing I think. Either call the DME and hold them accountable or check with insurance to compare. Consider treating the DME like a used car salesman.

You can shop the pricing on the supplier list at the top of the screen if you'd like. Shopping eBay maybe is OK, but I'd prefer a site that caters to CPAP supplies myself.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Use the Supplier List http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...d=31#pid31

And also check for Coupon Codes via newsletters or social media sites... or just Google the supplier and coupon code.

I agree that other than the filter the rest you can use... as long as it last. Shopping around helps, as I use a nasal mask, and a few suppliers have the N20 with five cushions for the same price as others with only one.

But if Insurance is footing the bill... let them.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sounds like to might need to contact your insurance company and ask them about the inconsistent billing. Get them to explain to you in detail what's going on. 

In regards to the filters, I reuse mine and they have been just fine. Not sure what machine you have, but the filters my machine takes are easily cleaned. I have plenty of extras on hand, but if they clean up fine, that's the route I'll go. I just run them under some hot water, a drop or two of liquid soap, and give them a finger massage. Rinse and pat dry with a paper towel. I make sure that they are allowed to air dry well. That takes a few minutes is all. 

I don't know who has the cheapest CPAP supplies if you are paying out-of-pocket. You shouldn't have to, if you have good insurance. 

Speak to your insurance company and find out what's going on............... Eat-popcorn
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Medicare Providers for Airmini Supplies knitsafghans 4 154 03-15-2024, 11:07 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Changing CPAP Machine & DME/Insurance & Supplies StratCat48 3 275 02-10-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Medicare & Re-Ordering Supplies oneeyeopen 12 871 02-07-2024, 08:10 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Equipment] Beginner Must Have Equipment/Supplies PoutinePrincess 7 376 02-07-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Extra Supplies Columbiabill 2 389 12-28-2023, 03:15 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
Wink CPAP machine and supplies? Insurance or not? Fatheaded 13 1,576 11-26-2023, 05:50 PM
Last Post: RedNailz
  Where to send unused/unopened CPAP supplies? highrateleaker 1 524 11-25-2023, 03:56 PM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.