Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Going down a rabbit hole!
RE: Going down a rabbit hole!
Thanks for looking at that Sleeprider.  I have linked to a six month history below.  As the summer approached, I noticed some deterioration in the AHI and a less rested feeling.  I ended up bumping the pressure up a bit, aware that I had gained a little weight over the last six months.  It was also suggested to me that I might want to narrow the range a bit as well, so I did that too.  Ultimately, 12-15 moved to 14-16.  

Do you think it might be wise to return to 12-15 and see how that looks?  And I am a little unclear as to how ERP fits into this.  I *think* that reducing ERP has the same effect as bumping pressure up.  Is that right?  Thanks again.

[Image: BMuLwKrl.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
It seems counter-intuitive that OA is increased with higher pressure, but that is what I see in your long-term trend. You definitely did better at 12-15 in both AHI and time in apnea. Another interesting artifact is that flow limitation FOLLOWS OA, rather than preceding it. When your machine pressure increases, so does your flow limitation. This is another sign that higher pressure is not your answer. Your results were previously pretty good and you raised pressure after one-week of increased AHI starting about June 29, and your first increase was about July 6. When you used lower pressure, your average and 95% pressure almost never hit the max. Now you are there all the time. My impression is that you were already near the top of your pressure requirements, and could have used a starting pressure as low as 10 and still done well. Also, you didn't have centrals, and EPR is really not that bad for you. Reducing it just increases EPAP and max pressure more.

I can't point to a cause, but my inclination would be to return to 12-15 and consider positional therapy as an alternative to pressure. You might do better with a pillow that holds your head in a better position or even a soft cervical collar trial. In any event, your AHI was acceptable, and got worse with the pressure increases. I would look at potential causes unrelated to pressure.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok thanks.  I do use a buckwheat pillow.  And I recently ordered a cervical collar as well.  I often sleep on my side.  

Could mouth breathing play a role in any of this?  I use a pillow mask which I like very much, but I do have a tendency to mouth breathe, although I think I have trained myself somewhat at night to keep it shut.  Maybe I am wrong.
Post Reply Post Reply
The cervical collar will help, and your leaks are not out of control Large leak has decreased recently, average leak is not a concern unless it is disrupting your sleep. I would stick with what makes you most comfortable because it is not a direct contributor to your AHI results.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your March 7 leak rate graph shows definite signs of mouth-leaking. You might want to try a chin strap or a full face mask. Leaks like that can ruin a night's sleep and make you feel kind of crappy the next day.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks guys.

Last night I went back to my 12-15 pressure range with ERP 2.  I also used a headband to try and keep the mouth closed a bit.  The leak numbers look good - 95% rate of 6 versus a six month figure of 7.8; but AHI was not good, especially OA (6.78 vs a six month median of 1.41)!

I'll post the chart and welcome any help  Dont-know

[Image: sv8jxSBl.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
The OA clusters look more like something a cervical collar will be effective at addressing. It's fine to try higher pressures, and that should drive down OA, but this looks like classic chin tucking.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Cervical collar arrives today, we shall see  Thinking-about
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-05-2017, 06:26 AM)richcrab Wrote: I also used a headband to try and keep the mouth closed a bit.  The leak numbers look good - 95% rate of 6 versus a six month figure of 7.8; but AHI was not good, especially OA (6.78 vs a six month median of 1.41)!

The leak numbers may look good, but the leak graph doesn't look good to me. I see it bobbing up and down, which is an indication of possible mouth-leaking. Given the fact that you can't get your AHI under control, and you don't feel rested, we need to consider possibilities, even if they don't seem especially probable.

Try the cervical collar, but if that doesn't work, and even if it does, I highly recommend a full face mask. It may make you feel more rested, and the only way to find out is to try.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Sleepster.  I do have a full face mask as a backup.  I am spoiled by my nasal pillows!  When I put the FFM on, it feels like a hurricane.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  P10 modification advice - where are the hole pokers at? her.suit 5 445 01-15-2024, 01:26 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Equipment] Hole in Tubing - Thanks, Cat! garrityd 15 2,751 11-16-2021, 02:53 PM
Last Post: garrityd
  Vent hole / slot / Vent entry port jonathan richardson 4 1,364 10-06-2017, 11:15 PM
Last Post: chill
Question NOSE-HOLE POLL SuperSleeper 44 20,593 08-03-2017, 06:02 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Has anyone tried repairing a hole in a mask cushion? big_dave 25 24,308 07-09-2012, 09:54 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.