Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

Sex: Male

Question Where does the S9 keep its settings
I know the settings are available on the S9's data card. But, are they set internally to say an EPROM inside the S9?

In other words... lets say I take a non-resmed SD card and insert it; will the machine format the card; and more important -- will the machine retain its settings?

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
03-15-2014 10:45 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
zonk Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: A10 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Activa LT
Humidifier: Integrated /ClimateLineAir
CPAP Pressure: 9/13
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: CPAP since Nov 2010

RE: Where does the S9 keep its settings
the machine does not care whether the SD card is resmed or non-resmed but resmed card cost more
as for "will the machine retain its settings?" no reason why not Coffee
03-15-2014 10:55 PM
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

Yes, the machine will format the card, even if it was already formatted by a computer.

The settings, as in treatment pressure, must be stored on some sort of flash memory that is backed up by the internal clock battery. If I remember my computer stuff (and it has been a while) an eprom has to be wiped to be reprogrammed to be re-written. I don't think the CPAP does that for each pressure setting change.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
03-15-2014 11:21 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)

(03-15-2014 11:21 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote:  Yes, the machine will format the card, even if it was already formatted by a computer.

The settings, as in treatment pressure, must be stored on some sort of flash memory that is backed up by the internal clock battery. If I remember my computer stuff (and it has been a while) an eprom has to be wiped to be reprogrammed to be re-written. I don't think the CPAP does that for each pressure setting change.

WOW Paula -- you are on fire! Yes, an EPROM is old technology that requires a UV light source to bulk erase. I meant EEPROM; but even that is wrong. The EEPROM is erasable and rewritable on a block or bit basis by electronic means.

Flash memory is the correct term --- but requires no battery to retain data. It is Non-volatile memory that uses a floating gate and electron injection to program it.

In the mid 1970s, I had the good fortune to work with Dr Eli Harari who would go on to have many patents in the area of NV-memory; and found a company well know for Flash Memory products.

03-16-2014 08:44 AM
c0reDump Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: Quattro Air
Humidifier: H5i (distilled)
CPAP Pressure: APAP 9-17cmH2O

Other Comments:

The settings are stored in CMOS paired with a CMOS battery, much like how PCs retain their BIOS settings through power failures.

See this other thread:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...AP-Machine
03-16-2014 10:41 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

(03-16-2014 10:41 AM)c0reDump Wrote:  The settings are stored in CMOS paired with a CMOS battery, much like how PCs retain their BIOS settings through power failures.

See this other thread:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...AP-Machine

I believe that CR2032 battery is only used to keep the real time clock running when the power is off. No designer in his right mind would use volatile memory such as battery powered CMOS to keep critical parameters. With the abundance of non-volatile flash memory available to design engineers, it's a no-brainer to use it.

Even computers no longer use CMOS for BIOS settings. They use non-volatile memory.

03-16-2014 10:52 AM
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

Pft, yeah, but you're talking about CPAP designers, not computer designers. And the information being kept is just the user settings. Which are easy to reprogram with the change of the battery or, better yet, the purchase of a new machine.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

03-16-2014 12:43 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
c0reDump Offline

Preferred Members-2

Other Comments:

Until someone yanks the CR2032 CMOS battery out of their S9, we'll never know what settings are stored in flash -vs- CMOS RAM.

Anyhow to answer your original questions:

(03-15-2014 10:45 PM)justMongo Wrote:  In other words... lets say I take a non-resmed SD card and insert it; will the machine format the card; and more important -- will the machine retain its settings?

Will the machine format the card: Yes
Will the machine retain its settings: Yes

I have gone through this procedure myself in fact. For the past 2 weeks I've been using a Sony 8GB SD-Card, not a ResMed branded card, and the machine is writing data normally and no settings were lost.

*edit: By the way, my HP PC does use the CMOS battery for BIOS settings -- in case the BIOS password is forgotten: yank the CMOS battery (or short the CMOS-clear jumper) to reset to factory settings.
(This post was last modified: 03-16-2014 01:04 PM by c0reDump.)
03-16-2014 12:58 PM
justMongo Offline

Monitors

(03-16-2014 12:43 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote:  Pft, yeah, but you're talking about CPAP designers, not computer designers. And the information being kept is just the user settings. Which are easy to reprogram with the change of the battery or, better yet, the purchase of a new machine.

As a EE design engineer and member of the IEEE, I have to respectfully disagree. I would never base a design for life support equipment on volatile CMOS memory with a battery when non-volatile memory is available and cheap. What if that battery is defective or dead. The RT programs in the patient's parameters; the patient takes it home; plugs it in; and, the machine operates on defaults. Any engineer who would do that is looking for a new name -- "defendant."

03-16-2014 01:01 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
c0reDump Offline

Preferred Members-2

Other Comments:

First off, S9s are not life support equipment Smile -- I'm not going to keel over in minutes (or weeks) if I go without the CPAP.

Secondly, I doubt the S9s would revert to some kind of "default prescription" if the clinician's settings were wiped (for whatever reason, be it dead CMOS battery or whatnot). It would probably display some error code on the LCD screen if the settings were wiped / not set.
(This post was last modified: 03-16-2014 01:22 PM by c0reDump.)
03-16-2014 01:21 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Newbie - need advice on settings and machine tmc712 18 361 Yesterday 09:04 PM
Last Post: tmc712
  Dream Station Ramp and Pressure Settings knowoneuno 21 440 Yesterday 11:00 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Dream Station Settings Autumnseer 15 533 11-26-2016 07:01 AM
Last Post: Weird Tolkienish Figure
  Who generally is in charge of your CPAP settings? Mezzrow 9 477 11-12-2016 01:47 AM
Last Post: blueelement2016
  do I have the right machine (and settings) JaminV 4 376 10-31-2016 10:05 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  Dreamstation heated tube/humidifier initial settings. NorthernGuy 9 732 10-28-2016 09:21 AM
Last Post: Perchas
  Flex settings and hypopneas KSMatthew 4 524 10-21-2016 09:47 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider