Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Where does the S9 keep its settings
Question 
Where does the S9 keep its settings
I know the settings are available on the S9's data card. But, are they set internally to say an EPROM inside the S9?

In other words... lets say I take a non-resmed SD card and insert it; will the machine format the card; and more important -- will the machine retain its settings?
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Where does the S9 keep its settings
the machine does not care whether the SD card is resmed or non-resmed but resmed card cost more
as for "will the machine retain its settings?" no reason why not Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, the machine will format the card, even if it was already formatted by a computer.

The settings, as in treatment pressure, must be stored on some sort of flash memory that is backed up by the internal clock battery. If I remember my computer stuff (and it has been a while) an eprom has to be wiped to be reprogrammed to be re-written. I don't think the CPAP does that for each pressure setting change.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-15-2014, 11:21 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Yes, the machine will format the card, even if it was already formatted by a computer.

The settings, as in treatment pressure, must be stored on some sort of flash memory that is backed up by the internal clock battery. If I remember my computer stuff (and it has been a while) an eprom has to be wiped to be reprogrammed to be re-written. I don't think the CPAP does that for each pressure setting change.

WOW Paula -- you are on fire! Yes, an EPROM is old technology that requires a UV light source to bulk erase. I meant EEPROM; but even that is wrong. The EEPROM is erasable and rewritable on a block or bit basis by electronic means.

Flash memory is the correct term --- but requires no battery to retain data. It is Non-volatile memory that uses a floating gate and electron injection to program it.

In the mid 1970s, I had the good fortune to work with Dr Eli Harari who would go on to have many patents in the area of NV-memory; and found a company well know for Flash Memory products.
Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
The settings are stored in CMOS paired with a CMOS battery, much like how PCs retain their BIOS settings through power failures.

See this other thread:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...AP-Machine
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-16-2014, 10:41 AM)c0reDump Wrote: The settings are stored in CMOS paired with a CMOS battery, much like how PCs retain their BIOS settings through power failures.

See this other thread:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...AP-Machine

I believe that CR2032 battery is only used to keep the real time clock running when the power is off. No designer in his right mind would use volatile memory such as battery powered CMOS to keep critical parameters. With the abundance of non-volatile flash memory available to design engineers, it's a no-brainer to use it.

Even computers no longer use CMOS for BIOS settings. They use non-volatile memory.
Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Pft, yeah, but you're talking about CPAP designers, not computer designers. And the information being kept is just the user settings. Which are easy to reprogram with the change of the battery or, better yet, the purchase of a new machine.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Until someone yanks the CR2032 CMOS battery out of their S9, we'll never know what settings are stored in flash -vs- CMOS RAM.

Anyhow to answer your original questions:

(03-15-2014, 10:45 PM)justMongo Wrote: In other words... lets say I take a non-resmed SD card and insert it; will the machine format the card; and more important -- will the machine retain its settings?

Will the machine format the card: Yes
Will the machine retain its settings: Yes

I have gone through this procedure myself in fact. For the past 2 weeks I've been using a Sony 8GB SD-Card, not a ResMed branded card, and the machine is writing data normally and no settings were lost.

*edit: By the way, my HP PC does use the CMOS battery for BIOS settings -- in case the BIOS password is forgotten: yank the CMOS battery (or short the CMOS-clear jumper) to reset to factory settings.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-16-2014, 12:43 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Pft, yeah, but you're talking about CPAP designers, not computer designers. And the information being kept is just the user settings. Which are easy to reprogram with the change of the battery or, better yet, the purchase of a new machine.

As a EE design engineer and member of the IEEE, I have to respectfully disagree. I would never base a design for life support equipment on volatile CMOS memory with a battery when non-volatile memory is available and cheap. What if that battery is defective or dead. The RT programs in the patient's parameters; the patient takes it home; plugs it in; and, the machine operates on defaults. Any engineer who would do that is looking for a new name -- "defendant."
Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
First off, S9s are not life support equipment Smile -- I'm not going to keel over in minutes (or weeks) if I go without the CPAP.

Secondly, I doubt the S9s would revert to some kind of "default prescription" if the clinician's settings were wiped (for whatever reason, be it dead CMOS battery or whatnot). It would probably display some error code on the LCD screen if the settings were wiped / not set.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  VAUTO Settings vs. CPAP Settings MrIvanDrago 9 828 11-18-2023, 10:29 AM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  AirCurve 10 ASV settings - Equivalent settings for AirCurve 10 VAUTO Shadowpup 0 857 11-18-2022, 05:04 PM
Last Post: Shadowpup
  ResMed Adjust ASV Settings to AutoASV Settings ronsch00 4 3,663 06-09-2017, 10:57 PM
Last Post: DeepBreathing
  SleepyHead Question: machine settings on Daily Sidebar don't match actual settings Kris the Crone 6 2,115 06-15-2016, 04:37 PM
Last Post: Kris the Crone
Question Auto CPAP settings vs Auto BiPAP settings thasan26 1 2,758 05-06-2016, 02:32 PM
Last Post: robysue

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.