Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Which Mask?
Question 
Which Mask?
I just got my CPAP last week (the resmed S9 w/climate line hose and humidifier) I chose the nasal mask at the office, and if just does work for me like I though it would - so going in hopefully tomorrow to get a different mask (I can go in within the first 30-days for a mask exchange at any time) - think I need to go with a full face mask - but I know their are all types and brands out their - is their any one mask that would work best with the machine?

Thanks for any insight anyone can give me

Scott:

sleep-well:
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Which Mask?
Hi Scott, welcome to apnea board. Mask is a personal choice what works for me might not works for somebody else but in my experience full face masks leaks the most and only good to have on stand by when catch a cold or being congested otherwise Activa LT nasal mask with chinstrap works just fine for me but everyone is different just matter trial and error.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thats a million dollar question, when your there try them all on and find somewhere to lay down as this is the best position for testing them. There are so many mask but the most common one that is most widely used is the Quattro (Resmed Mirage Quattro) or even the fx version of this. My advise always try before you buy or aquire.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm new to the sleep apnea world and will be getting my machine and mask soon.

At the second sleep study test, I was only able to breath smoothly with a nasal Zest mask from Fisher and Paykel. Not sure what the other nasal mask was, but it seemed very hard to breath with it.

I hoping they will get me a machine just like my wife's who just got hers a couple of months ago. It is a Philips Respironics System One REMstar Pro DS450 CPAP Machine with C-Flex Plus and Humidifier.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for your input - just got back from the medical supplier, traded in my nasel for a comfort fit ff deluxe - seems to work fine their so will give it a try tonight - but if does not work - will back again and get a different one. Having that 30-days to trade masks and so forth is sure nice - really would hate to have to buy a mask and not have it work. One thing I still need to check on, is in 3-months when I can get a new mask - is does it have to be the same, or can switch?

Scott
Post Reply Post Reply
You can switch to a different mask if you want to after 3 months. What you pay out of pocket depends upon your insurance plan and your deductibles and annual maximum out of pocket limits.
We're all family here...you can call me B36 if you'd like!Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
You can switch if they are replacing the entire mask. If they only send you parts (pads, pillows, etc) then you can't.

I have done this twice I think.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Scott, I was able to switch masks when it was my time for me to get new supplies and I have switched to three different masks over the years I have been using CPAP. It might take you a while to find the right mask for you but don't give up.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-29-2012, 05:35 PM)mikael26288 Wrote: I'm new to the sleep apnea world and will be getting my machine and mask soon.

At the second sleep study test, I was only able to breath smoothly with a nasal Zest mask from Fisher and Paykel. Not sure what the other nasal mask was, but it seemed very hard to breath with it.

I hoping they will get me a machine just like my wife's who just got hers a couple of months ago. It is a Philips Respironics System One REMstar Pro DS450 CPAP Machine with C-Flex Plus and Humidifier.

Hey, Mikael:
I'm pretty sure that the REMstar Pro does not come in a fully auto model (it starts with automatic pressure adjustment capability, but loses that capability and becomes a set CPAP after 30 days), and may have a less-capable data recording feature. Check your wife's machine and manual, am I right? If you can sway things, get them to give you a REMstar Auto--it's got everything the Pro has, and the data card with all the numbers, and can be set to auto forever. This is very helpful in getting the right pressure for your needs every night, since it can change pressures based on how well you are breathing. Just ask your doctor to prescribe a true "APAP" automatic machine and the DME will give you one (some docs only prescribe auto machines).
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-29-2012, 07:35 PM)b360155 Wrote: You can switch to a different mask if you want to after 3 months. What you pay out of pocket depends upon your insurance plan and your deductibles and annual maximum out of pocket limits.

That one thing I am really loving about insurance, after looking at the replacement cost of this stuff - they have a schedule - I get filters monthly, new mask every 3 months, climate-line tubing every 3 months, humidifier chamber every 3 months - all at no cost to me - and that is on top of the $180 a month rental fee - and then in roughly 9 months, the payments stop, and the machine is mine - just need to remember to stocked up on supplies while I can.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,525 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,211 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,757 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Help with mask, Definition of EPAP/IPAP and Mask Pressure wesozzzz 1 1,094 11-15-2019, 07:57 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  What's the mask setting of Dreamstation for Bleep DreamPort mask? ChinaMan 5 2,424 10-11-2019, 07:17 PM
Last Post: ChinaMan
  Changing mask from p10 resmed to philips respironics: Mask seal issue Visitor 10 4,833 10-11-2019, 07:25 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Personal Experience On Nasal Mask Compared with Full Face Mask ramphil2019 19 4,530 04-07-2019, 12:01 AM
Last Post: ramphil2019

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.