[Equipment] Which version of Respironics System One?
dozydave Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Philips System One Auto for Canada
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Mirage FX
Humidifier: S1 heated humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 8-10
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

Which version of Respironics System One?
I have just completed a trial of the Respironics Remstar Auto and have found that my AHI levels can be kept in the low single digit range very easily with a constant pressure of 7. I am considering purchasing a bilevel or simple CPAP machine simply to save about $400 on the purchase price. (My insurance pays 80% to a max of $2000 every 5 years and they want $2,400 for an auto machine so I would be out of pocket either $400 or $800)

Can anyone convince why I should spend the extra money for all the bells and whistles?

Thanks, Dave
04-20-2015 11:30 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
PaytonA Offline
Wiki Editor
Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: H5i(distilled-top up)
CPAP Pressure: VAuto MinE14.0 MaxI 20.6 PS4.0
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

RE: Which version of Respironics System One?
(04-20-2015 11:30 AM)dozydave Wrote:  I have just completed a trial of the Respironics Remstar Auto and have found that my AHI levels can be kept in the low single digit range very easily with a constant pressure of 7. I am considering purchasing a bilevel or simple CPAP machine simply to save about $400 on the purchase price. (My insurance pays 80% to a max of $2000 every 5 years and they want $2,400 for an auto machine so I would be out of pocket either $400 or $800)

Can anyone convince why I should spend the extra money for all the bells and whistles?

Thanks, Dave

The normal reasons for prescribing a simple or auto bilevel machine are:

1. The patient has trouble exhaling against the provided pressure even with EPR.

2, The patient's prescribed therapeutic pressure is high. My prescribed pressure was 20 cm/H2O and I was provided with a bilevel from the git-go.

I think that it might be worth your time and money to obtain an auto machine which is only a little more expensive that the manual machines.

Best Regards,

PaytonA
(This post was last modified: 04-20-2015 11:52 AM by PaytonA.)
04-20-2015 11:51 AM
dozydave Offline

Preferred Members

Other Comments:

(04-20-2015 11:51 AM)PaytonA Wrote:  
(04-20-2015 11:30 AM)dozydave Wrote:  I have just completed a trial of the Respironics Remstar Auto and have found that my AHI levels can be kept in the low single digit range very easily with a constant pressure of 7. I am considering purchasing a bilevel or simple CPAP machine simply to save about $400 on the purchase price. (My insurance pays 80% to a max of $2000 every 5 years and they want $2,400 for an auto machine so I would be out of pocket either $400 or $800)

Thanks, Dave

The normal reasons for prescribing a simple or auto bilevel machine are:

1. The patient has trouble exhaling against the provided pressure even with EPR.

2, The patient's prescribed therapeutic pressure is high. My prescribed pressure was 20 cm/H2O and I was provided with a bilevel from the git-go.

I think that it might be worth your time and money to obtain an auto machine which is only a little more expensive that the manual machines.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Thanks for that, I should clarify that my constant pressure is 7 and it works just fine.

Dave
04-20-2015 12:05 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Terry Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Philips Respironics RemStar Auto with A-Flex (560P)
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: P/R Nuance & Pap Cap
Humidifier: Integrated
CPAP Pressure: Auto

Other Comments:

I hope your insurance is free because they're not doing anything for you.

Your copay is pretty much exactly what it costs to buy online without insurance.
04-20-2015 12:54 PM
dozydave Offline

Preferred Members

Other Comments:

(04-20-2015 12:54 PM)Terry Wrote:  

I hope your insurance is free because they're not doing anything for you.

Your copay is pretty much exactly what it costs to buy online without insurance.

Terry, I agree totally. My insurance is not free but I rented a machine to use in my RV for the winter down south and I'm already into them for $1,000 in rental fees that can be applied towards the purchase of a new machine. So very observant on your part but it's pretty much a wash at this point.
04-20-2015 01:01 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
quiescence at last Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: REMstar System One with Autoflex
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Quattro AirFit F10
Humidifier: yes typical setting = 4
CPAP Pressure: 5-13 Autotritrating CPAP
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: CMS-50F Plus oximeter /w SPO2 Assistant software. Avowed mouth-breather switching to nose-breathing

other big reasons to select an automatic titrating machine:
1. so it can adjust to shifts in needs based on sickness, allergies, and position you sleep in.
2. because your needs may (and probably will) change in the space of 5 years.

QAL

Dedicated to QALity sleep.
You'll note I am listed as an Advisory Member. I am honored to be listed as such. See the fine print - Advisory Members as a group provide advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies. Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
04-27-2015 06:30 AM
dozydave Offline

Preferred Members

Other Comments:

I'm sold on the auto machine for the reasons given by many of the responders. Thanks very much everybody for taking the time.
04-27-2015 06:42 AM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  [Equipment] Respironics blower failure SleepyinMTL 2 118 12-03-2016 12:52 AM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  [Pressure] How to change pressure - Respironics Solo slgoltz 5 19,985 11-30-2016 06:32 PM
Last Post: randx2
  PR System One: C-Check vs Auto? Ailu 8 2,996 11-29-2016 02:04 PM
Last Post: TonyJ
  respironics pillow covers? metropical 3 241 11-08-2016 11:02 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Respironics Sleep Easy Question Rich 5 4,575 11-01-2016 10:56 PM
Last Post: Star
  Philips system one noisy jpsantell 2 263 10-29-2016 10:54 AM
Last Post: robysue
  Respironics Wisp Mask Questions Dreams of Green 6 385 10-23-2016 06:17 PM
Last Post: Ezil71