Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Which version of Respironics System One?
Which version of Respironics System One?
I have just completed a trial of the Respironics Remstar Auto and have found that my AHI levels can be kept in the low single digit range very easily with a constant pressure of 7. I am considering purchasing a bilevel or simple CPAP machine simply to save about $400 on the purchase price. (My insurance pays 80% to a max of $2000 every 5 years and they want $2,400 for an auto machine so I would be out of pocket either $400 or $800)

Can anyone convince why I should spend the extra money for all the bells and whistles?

Thanks, Dave

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Which version of Respironics System One?
(04-20-2015, 11:30 AM)dozydave Wrote: I have just completed a trial of the Respironics Remstar Auto and have found that my AHI levels can be kept in the low single digit range very easily with a constant pressure of 7. I am considering purchasing a bilevel or simple CPAP machine simply to save about $400 on the purchase price. (My insurance pays 80% to a max of $2000 every 5 years and they want $2,400 for an auto machine so I would be out of pocket either $400 or $800)

Can anyone convince why I should spend the extra money for all the bells and whistles?

Thanks, Dave

The normal reasons for prescribing a simple or auto bilevel machine are:

1. The patient has trouble exhaling against the provided pressure even with EPR.

2, The patient's prescribed therapeutic pressure is high. My prescribed pressure was 20 cm/H2O and I was provided with a bilevel from the git-go.

I think that it might be worth your time and money to obtain an auto machine which is only a little more expensive that the manual machines.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-20-2015, 11:51 AM)PaytonA Wrote:
(04-20-2015, 11:30 AM)dozydave Wrote: I have just completed a trial of the Respironics Remstar Auto and have found that my AHI levels can be kept in the low single digit range very easily with a constant pressure of 7. I am considering purchasing a bilevel or simple CPAP machine simply to save about $400 on the purchase price. (My insurance pays 80% to a max of $2000 every 5 years and they want $2,400 for an auto machine so I would be out of pocket either $400 or $800)

Thanks, Dave

The normal reasons for prescribing a simple or auto bilevel machine are:

1. The patient has trouble exhaling against the provided pressure even with EPR.

2, The patient's prescribed therapeutic pressure is high. My prescribed pressure was 20 cm/H2O and I was provided with a bilevel from the git-go.

I think that it might be worth your time and money to obtain an auto machine which is only a little more expensive that the manual machines.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Thanks for that, I should clarify that my constant pressure is 7 and it works just fine.

Dave
Post Reply Post Reply

I hope your insurance is free because they're not doing anything for you.

Your copay is pretty much exactly what it costs to buy online without insurance.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-20-2015, 12:54 PM)Terry Wrote:

I hope your insurance is free because they're not doing anything for you.

Your copay is pretty much exactly what it costs to buy online without insurance.

Terry, I agree totally. My insurance is not free but I rented a machine to use in my RV for the winter down south and I'm already into them for $1,000 in rental fees that can be applied towards the purchase of a new machine. So very observant on your part but it's pretty much a wash at this point.

Post Reply Post Reply
other big reasons to select an automatic titrating machine:
1. so it can adjust to shifts in needs based on sickness, allergies, and position you sleep in.
2. because your needs may (and probably will) change in the space of 5 years.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm sold on the auto machine for the reasons given by many of the responders. Thanks very much everybody for taking the time.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,964 359,552 Yesterday, 02:17 PM
Last Post: btreger
  Resmed Heating System Errors btreger 0 116 04-05-2024, 01:20 PM
Last Post: btreger
  Inspire system JThammer 15 390 04-04-2024, 11:59 AM
Last Post: cdplatt
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 184 29,858 04-01-2024, 12:26 PM
Last Post: RayBee
  Airsense 11. Heating system error Jskier 6 7,062 03-30-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: Ron LI
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,896 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 478 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.