Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Why are there so many bad reviews of the Philips Respironics DreamStation?
Question 
Why are there so many bad reviews of the Philips Respironics DreamStation?
Having done some research on which Auto-CPAP machine would be the most recommended one (so far I can tell it comes down to the ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet vs. Philips Respironics DreamStation Auto-CPAP), I am astonished that there are so many bad reviews for the Dreamstation, especially on the website ProductReview.com.au.

The main criticism is about:
  • Whining noise which comes up after a more or less long usage period. A batch or design error, which likely has to do with the used motor?
  • The humidifier having a too small water tank which can prevent usage for a whole night (8 hours of sleep) even on the lowest setting. Additionally it seems there is no sensor to switch off the heating element when empty, resulting in inhalation of hot dry air for the rest of the night (if you don't wake up because of that).
I have inquired about that at Philips Respironics, but their feedback was totally pointless.

For that the Dreamstation (in its various versions) seems to be an extremely popular machine, I'm wondering if especially the whining noise was the result of a bad batch of motors, and if people who's machine has been built in 2018 are still experiencing that problem. I am very sensitive to noise, and I can not sleep with ear plugs, so I want to make sure to make the right choice for the most silent machine when the time has come.
In pursuit of a goodnight sleep | Receive a discount at Wellue Health
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Why are there so many bad reviews of the Philips Respironics DreamStation?
I think Dreamstations are popular because they cost less than a Resmed. But that's the only advantage I've found.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
I wish there was a good source of hard data on the reliability of the different machines. Sometimes the length of warranty offers a clue as to how reliable the makers think their machines are, but not always. My RT observed that the old Respironics machines are tanks, and just keep going for thousands and thousands of hours. The new ones, not so much - but that is an anecdote, not hard data I can point to.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-21-2018, 11:58 AM)Walla Walla Wrote: I think Dreamstations are popular because they cost less than a Resmed. But that's the only advantage I've found.

Here in Europe the Dreamstation seems to be slightly cheaper than the ResMed, but not that much.

(07-21-2018, 12:05 PM)Stom Wrote: I wish there was a good source of hard data on the reliability of the different machines. Sometimes the length of warranty offers a clue as to how reliable the makers think their machines are, but not always. My RT observed that the old Respironics machines are tanks, and just keep going for thousands and thousands of hours. The new ones, not so much - but that is an anecdote, not hard data I can point to.

With planned obsolescence nowadays electronics are not meant to last. At least everything here in Europe is covered by a mandatory 2 years warranty, though things tend to always break shortly after warranty has expired.

But the before mentioned whining noise seems to be a common issue, that can appear after days, weeks or months of use and I don't want to be in a position of having to have a machine swapped multiple times because of this (as it happened to others in seen reviews). I don't recall having seen any reviews for the ResMed machines citing such a problem problem.
In pursuit of a goodnight sleep | Receive a discount at Wellue Health
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm a Dreamstation user and prior to that, I was using the Respironics System 1.  The reason for the change was a loud clicking sound in the System 1.  I used the System 1 for approx 1.5 years when the trouble started.  Respironics replaced the System 1 with the Dreamstation under warranty, no questions asked.

Most people on the forum will tell you that Resmed is a better machine because it's algorithm reacts quicker to obstructions than the Respironics algorithm.  As for which machine is more quiet, well that seems to be a toss up.  I've read arguments from both sides of the debate.

I can tell you that my Dreamstation is whisper quiet and it passes the most intensive test possible; my wife.  I've had no problems with it, traveled extensively internationally with it and my AHI average is below 1 (after I dialed in the pressure with the assistance of this forum.) 

I like my air humid and crank the humidity to max and I've only ran out of water a couple of times because I slept up to 11 hours when dealing with jet lag.  I always have water left over when I slept my usual 7 to 8 hours, even during the winter when the air in my house is extremely dry. 

It seems like everyone's mileage varies.  I have no complaints about my machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm of the belief that the motor noise could have been a bad batch issue. I had the DreamStation BiPAP in the spring of '17 and it was very quiet. As quiet as my ResMed ASV? Can't tell the difference in noise levels. Then again: 1) I didn't measure the noise level and 2) I need some level of white noise to sleep anyway. BTW I get my noise by a fan typically. Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use a dreamstation Auto now and keep my prs1 as a backup and travel machine. I have never had a whiny noise from the machine. If there is a clicking noise then it’s a signal to me to change the filters and all gets well again.

Looking at the build quality of both machines, I would say that prs1 is built like a tank and dreamstation is built like your typical electronic gadget. But the humidifier is better designed on a dreamstation.
PRS1 Auto & Dreamstation Auto w/ P10 and straight pressure of 8cm
Post Reply Post Reply
I am pretty sure it was a bad batch too. I don't recall any recent postings here about it.  I went through two of them when I started before I got a normal one.  It is not dead silent, but it is pretty darn quiet.  I had a S9 for a while and the noise level seemed comparable.
Post Reply Post Reply
Noise issues aside, the Dreamstation Auto is slow to respond to obstructive apnea cues, compared to the Resmed Autoset, so it lets many more events happen in auto mode. In addition the Flex approach to expiratory pressure relief is comparatively lame. The Philips machines drop up to 2-cm pressure predicatively just prior to expiration, but return to IPAP pressure before inhale begins. The Resmed EPR offers up to 3-cm pressure relief on expiration, but it follows the user's respiration, so the pressure drop occurs as the individual exhales, and the return to IPAP pressure follows the respiratory effort through inspiration. It is a true bilevel approach. After helping literally hundreds of members on this forum, there is simply no comparison. I see consistently better results and comfort on the Resmed machines. This is reflected in the reviews you have seen.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been using my Dreamstation for almost 18 months now.. absolutely love it ( though I hate actually having to use a CPAP machine at all )

Mine is totally quiet, the only noise is what can be heard coming of the mask vent because of the air flow from the machine. 

I no longer use the humidifier, but managed 7 - 8 hour nights most of the time when I was using it.. the variation was dependent on how humid the night was.

And I know I will get roundly criticised for this... but I am still using the original F&P Eson mask I bought with the machine.

I wash all the filters roughly once a month, and have only replaced them once so far in the 18 months I've been using CPAP. 

I have become so used to using it that I can now fall asleep in two minutes or less most nights, my AHI average is sitting around 1.4 each month, and my compliance hours are averaging almost 7 hours per night.

I would buy another Dreamstation without even considering any other machine, and would recommend them to anyone.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 48 3,855 03-27-2024, 04:49 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,623 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,078 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,961 352,348 03-20-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: btreger
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 384 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc
  Where to send my philips REPLACEMENT machine Rice95 7 1,127 02-29-2024, 01:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Complete Newb trying a Respironics Legacy CPAP for the first time. Dmickey68 5 231 02-28-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.