Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Why is the use of a humidifier (with heated hose) so important?
RE: Why is the use of a humidifier (with heated hose) so important?
(07-23-2018, 07:50 AM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: Most CPAPs I'm aware of come with a humidifier nowadays.

This.

The best APAPs have built in humidifiers, which you can use or not. You won't know if your nose will dry out under PAP until you try it for a while nor whether you like humidification or not, and you may find it needed at some times of the year and not others. If this is your first machine, better to have the option, especially since it's included in the good machines anyway.
Post Reply Post Reply
the humidifier is included in a lot of machines but most dme providers and medicaid will nevertheless charge separately for the machine, humidifier and humidifier tank. looks like buying online will often avoid these additional charges.
Post Reply Post Reply
I experimented with my settings, and found that I need humidity and heat for my own comfort.

Without the humidity, my throat feels sore and dry. I do think that's from the air being pushed past my throat. My best humidity setting is Auto - it isn't too much to cause rainout, but is enough to prevent the dryness.

Heat helps prevent rainout, which I learned is key because 1) I need the humidity, but 2) my husband needs a chilly room to sleep in, and 3) humidity + chilly air = rainout. So the heated hose combats that for me, and Auto is my best setting for that, too.

When I was experimenting with the temp, I learned that the higher temps make me feel like I used to feel (pre-CPAP) when I'd pull the covers over my head and try to sleep like that. Breathing the warmer air is claustrophobic to me; very stuffy. So when I set it on Auto, I don't have that problem.
Post Reply Post Reply
You can always call your insurance to find out their coverage. My BCBS plan covered the purchase of the humidifier out right and covers the APAP rental for 10 months after which I own the machine. As mentioned already, the ResMed 10 comes with the humidifer integrated into the APAP. Oh, and I like to use both the humidier and the heated hose. I also use distilled water; it is nice not having the buildup in the tank and also convenient to have the jug of water near the machine.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,961 352,066 03-20-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: btreger
  AHI vs Desaturation -which is more important? vwboop 1 151 03-08-2024, 09:58 PM
Last Post: Jay51
Question Hose volume Willw 4 235 02-26-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Willw
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 763 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Using the heated tube on Dream Station 2 arpegio 4 951 02-16-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: arpegio
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 446 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
  AirSense 10 heating & humidifier issue Wingnut Warrior 2 353 02-08-2024, 11:13 PM
Last Post: Wingnut Warrior

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.