Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Z1 Auto - trying to make it work for travel
Z1 Auto - trying to make it work for travel
I travel a lot  so I thought I would check out a travel CPAP.  At home I use the AirSense 10 auto  (8-11) with the Humidity set on 2.
I was using my S9 Auto for travel and just recently started traveling without the humidifier, with no issues.  I use either the DreamWear or the P10.  My husband says he notices more leaks with the DreamWear mask.

I tried one night of the Z1 with each of the masks and I couldn't stand the noise. Only made it a couple of hours.
The next night, I added the Qtube, with the HME, with the DreamWear Mask.  I found if I slept on my back there was minimal noise.   But if I sleep on my normal side position the noise was very loud. Again, lasted only a few hours
I then tried the Z1 with the Qtube, the HME and the P10 mask. Yes - I know they don't recommend the HME with the P10.  But I thought it was worth a try.  It is a little louder than with the DreamWear,  I woke up about 4am with really dry nostrils and very congested.

Any advice on getting this to work better for me?  If not I will be returning the Z1 as part of the 15 day free trial.

Should I wait and try again when the DreamStation Go Auto comes out with the humidifier

Thank you
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Z1 Auto - trying to make it work for travel
Hi scubberley,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I have read that some of the travel machines are a bit noisier, but hang in there for more answers to your question and good luck to you with CPAP therapy and finding a machine that works well for you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Curious as to how noisy? Can you compare the noise level to something as I'm in the market for a travel machine and was considering a Z1.
Post Reply Post Reply
Even though HDM claims that the Z1 machines are really, really quiet, I couldn't figure out how they measured the claimed noise levels. Maybe from across another room down the hall from the user?

No, seriously, there is a LOT of turbine noise that comes right up the tube, in through your sinuses, and out to where your ears can hear it. REALLY HEAR IT. HDM introduced an inline muffler for it, but I can't say how well it works. The concept seems self-defeating WRT the whole travel concept. I know it adds more stuff you have to carry on the road, so between the flow generator, the power supply and the muffler, I don't think it would really save all that much space to what you have to schlep.

It is a widely discussed issue with the machines. A few people it doesn't bother. For me, I slept with one for a few days, but honestly, the noise was a distraction when trying to get to sleep or get back to sleep if I woke up during the night. I gave up on the Z1 in favor of a NIB but older design S-8 AutoSet II for my travel machine. It just works great for me (my first unit ever was a first gen S-8 Elite - that one ran for well over 15,000 hours). No power brick required.

I am intrigued by the new PR travel machine. If I didn't already have the S-8, I think I would maybe look at that.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
Almost as loud as when you are running the machine and don't have it on your face yet.  The sound is not from the machine.  It is the air rushing through the tube.
Post Reply Post Reply
The sound is definitely from the machine. It is a turbine whine. If it was air rushing through the hose, the same noise would occur with all PAP machines.

It occurs most frequently form these micro-machines because they require a really small blower in a really small case. And really small blowers have to turn really really fast to move the volume and pressures required.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
Been using Z1 for a few years as travel machine. S9 is better but Z1 is bearable. I sent back battery pack setup, waste of time, wont charge when machine being used.
Yes I know the noise you mean. Its loud
I used a home made silencer and now the Q tube device and for me noise is now OK. Most noise now from machine itself
Theres a thread here somewhere on homemade silencer from plastic medicine bottle, did work better than Q tube but a lot larger.
I leave machine sitting inside canvas travel pouch when running and it quiets down just enough
Post Reply Post Reply
I called this morning for Return Authorization, to ship it back under the 15 day trial. I let them know that I tried the Qtube as well as sleeping with earplugs. She thanked me for the feedback.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use an S9 at home and an Auto Z1 in planes on international flights (in Business Class always).

The Q-Tube does quiet the Z1 significantly. I easily got use to the noise level.

Neither I nor HDM could make Apple iOS work with my Z1 and an iphone6.

I am really interested in Dreamstation Auto Go reviews. Wish they were all in one place.
Post Reply Post Reply
I recently started a new job that requires a lot of travel, so purchased a refurbished Z1 auto. It does indeed make a lot of noise in comparison to my Resmed Autosense, though I find it tolerable. It does sound like air rushing through the tube, but I agree with others that it originates with the turbine. I will need to experiment some with it to see what I can do to quiet it down.

One thing I already did that helped was to extend the ramp up time to give myself more time to fall asleep before it fully kicks in.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 26 569 3 hours ago
Last Post: p4ncaketim
  Tech Nerds-think this battery setup will work for Transcend Micro? johnbrain 7 102 4 hours ago
Last Post: johnbrain
Cool Smallest travel CPAP setup w/ Transcend Micro kotaKat 4 1,678 03-25-2024, 04:52 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  Any experiences with BMC M1 Mini travel Auto CP?AP DrJelly 4 674 03-15-2024, 01:18 PM
Last Post: DrJelly
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,734 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix
  Not sure what to make of my OSCAR data Machinist 3 214 03-10-2024, 09:14 PM
Last Post: Machinist
  Can someone help me make sense of my Therapy Numbers? kc90 6 353 02-21-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: kc90

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.