Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Was my sleep study designed to 'fail'? diagnosed with mild CSA, but skeptical
RE: Was my sleep study designed to 'fail'? diagnosed with mild CSA, but skeptical
No it won't go well. In fact it'll likely be a big disaster. This is the expected path to ASV unless you become demanding, you'll have had the sleep tests, CPAP and fail, BPAP without backup rate and fail, ST a BPAP with backup rate and fail, then finally ASV. Include some Titration tests for each that they say you "need", some PAP rental fees for each because you need to try then fail. $$$!

You should be armed with your detailed diagnostic and Titration results, with CPAP results, with your sleep diary stressing every negative aspect of therapy failing. AND you should get a ResMed machine guide that states Central Apnea is treated with ASV. Tell the doctor you respectfully request actually being treated with ASV and not to play around with other devices. Squeak until they give the ASV oil.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Was my sleep study designed to 'fail'? diagnosed with mild CSA, but skeptical
I assume your sleep study is a titration study. I would check that they plan on stepping up to ASV if/when indicated by your well documented central apnea. If they don't seem to think that would be necessary and don't plan on doing it then it might be worthwhile to check if there are other options to get the test done at that are more interested in diagnosing and treating your central sleep apnea.

Insurance has requirements but any good doctor should already know you need ASV (or at the minimum have a strong belief that is the case) and they should be willing to stand behind you and fast track you to it. If you feel the doctor/clinic don't know how to treat central apnea then it is probably worthwhile to shop around for another doctor/clinic.
Post Reply Post Reply
You will need to insist that the titration study evaluates ASV. Bilevel and Bilevel ST will not provide the relief you need. I did a quick wiki article comparing ST to ASV for central apnea yesterday. Maybe this will help? http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ST_Therapy I would use this to argue against issuance of the wrong machine. That study was done in 2014 and ASV has advanced since then.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
yeah, I think I'm just going to move to a humid warm climate, do breathing exercises, and not do any more, it was only mild, and I'm only stuck where I am living with people I dont want to, just to keep insurance for this BS. On a positive note, I found an old lab test that was mildly positive for celiacs disease, so maybe that's contributing to sleep issues, before I got stuck back in the US, I never had anything with gluten, and now it's every day, nearly every meal, as well as still not being able to sleep more than 6 hours due to the bed or noise or schedule
Post Reply Post Reply
Celiac could for sure cause a number of your symptoms although I am not aware of if causing central apnea which also appears to be an issue. If you were mildly positive at some point and have been eating gluten you should ask doctor for a follow up test to see if it explains your symptoms. Ttg-iga is the best blood test, they should also do total iga to make sure you aren't iga deficient (in which case the first test may come back falsely negative). Scope and biopsy are the gold standard for diagnoses but often only done if blood tests are positive. I have been waiting for a scope and biopsy myself but its taken so long and I have been eating gluten free so I doubt it would even find anything now (you need to be eating gluten prior to either blood tests or scope in order for results to be accurate).

I know that food intolerances worsened my sleep quality significantly (dairy primarily and later found gluten to have a minor effect as well) and it is something I often recommend people look into especially people with IBS, nasal congestion, reflux or all the above.
Post Reply Post Reply
yeah iirc my iga was 10 and igg was 3, 10 is a 'low positive' , 4 year old test taken during a strange time between traveling while sick with mono.

I've always wondered if fixing my sleep schedule would help as well.. I've used coffee and soda forever to try to stay awake, first time in over 10 years I've gone 2 weeks without it now. next is cutting electronic use 2 hours before bed, which I'm doing more of, but seem to have tons of energy after that. to the point I'm in bed for 4 hours just to fall asleep, cpap sure didnt help.

compared to usual though, I'd spend 12 hours in bed or so, half of which wasnt sleeping, just in a groggy state pre and post sleep. now it's just 2-4   + 6 sleep and up immediately

I seem to get crazy hungry at night as well, so I'm trying to consume more fiber in the evening to stop midnight snacking, which was, of course, full of gluten

I appear to be a mess, after re-reading that.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile Questions for newly diagnosed Schernenk 22 397 10 hours ago
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 247 03-27-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Just Diagnosed - Advice Required on What to Purchase Dazkd1969 0 60 03-27-2024, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Dazkd1969
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 78 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 535 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 193 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 120 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.