Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] alternative to DreamWear FFM
alternative to DreamWear FFM
Hi,

New patient here. I'm a side-sleeper-mouth-breather. The supplier my insurance contracts with spoke with me and recommended the Philips DreamWear FFM. There have a been a few problems. If a get a good seal when go I to sleep, I start getting leaks after a couple of hours, usually right under my nose on one or both sides. Sometimes I'm able to stop the leaks by tightening the lower straps, sometimes that doesn't help. Either way the seals seem precarious. Even with the straps only moderately tight, the tubes that run up the side to the top hose connection leave bad marks on my face that take hours to disappear.

What I do like about the DreamWear is the good field of vision and light weight. Of course the fact that it doesn't work for me is more important Smile

Looking for any recommendations for an alternative. The choice of masks is somewhat intimidating and my insurance-supplied sleep coach has been of limited help.

Thanks!
PT
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: alternative to DreamWear FFM
I couldn’t stop the leaks with the Dreamwear FFM. The Resmed F30 is similar in keeping your upper face clear and easier to get a seal with, but I think that style is inherently finicky. They are trying to seal on complex facial features. Still, the F30 is my choice for a mask that interfaces to both the mouth and nose.

The F20 FF is not as nice as the F30 in some ways, but it is a fairly safe choice for a lot of people. However, it tends to clog my sinuses a bit. My fiancée prefers the F20 though.

The mask I use most often isn’t full face at all - it’s the P30i pillow mask. It does a better job of keeping my sinuses open.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm in my first week of using a Dreamstation CPAP as well, and I'm having the exact same issue as you...side sleeper/mouth breather/Dreamwear full face mask user.

My Dreamwear mask also tends to leak at the nose while on my side. I just talked to my sleep doctor today about this issue, and told him that I might want to try a different mask. Tried tightening, loosening, repositioning, etc.

Through my web research, I've read a lot of good things about the Resmed AirFit F20 InfinitySeal, so might order and try. There's also an AirTouch F20 UltraSoft which utilizes memory foam rather than the F20 InfinitySeal's silicon. However, the F20 AirTouch memory foam is a disposable mask meant to be replaced monthly. 

The mask issue is trial and error, what works for one person's facial anatomy and sleep position might not work for another. 

It might be worth mentioning that I've also read that the design of the Dreamwear headgear might not be optimal for side sleeping because of the integration of the air chamber/flow into the headgear itself. The possible issue is that the tube is flattened and the flow restricted by side sleeping. Who knows?
Dont-know
Post Reply Post Reply
By using the P30i, does that mean you're not a mouth breather?
Post Reply Post Reply
If I use the F20, I almost have to be a mouth breather, because my sinuses tend to close off when using it (not as bad with large, but bad enough).

The F30 tends to have the same effect as breathe rite strips. This makes it easier to breathe through the nose. By keeping the pressure balanced in your mouth, it helps reduce air swallowing, and makes mouth leaks a non-issue. This helped me transition from mouth breathing to nose breathing.

I also discovered nasal spray with capsaicin. Xlear Max is fairly mild. It’s mostly saline and xylitol with a little capsaicin. Capsinol is stronger. There is a bit of burn, but it fades quicker than spicy food on your tongue. It also WORKS.

I also discovered that the P30i opened my sinuses even better than the F30.

So, I’m mostly a former mouth breather.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-22-2019, 08:23 AM)ragtopcircus Wrote: If I use the F20, I almost have to be a mouth breather, because my sinuses tend to close off when using it (not as bad with large, but bad enough).

The F30 tends to have the same effect as breathe rite strips. This makes it easier to breathe through the nose. By keeping the pressure balanced in your mouth, it helps reduce air swallowing, and makes mouth leaks a non-issue. This helped me transition from mouth breathing to nose breathing.

I also discovered nasal spray with capsaicin. Xlear Max is fairly mild. It’s mostly saline and xylitol with a little capsaicin. Capsinol is stronger. There is a bit of burn, but it fades quicker than spicy food on your tongue. It also WORKS.

I also discovered that the P30i opened my sinuses even better than the F30.

So, I’m mostly a former mouth breather.

Thanks. This helps me a lot.
I've tried many full face masks; I'm claustrophobic. I always have woken up finding I've removed the mask in my sleep.
Then I put my nasal mask and strap back on.
I haven't tried the F30. 
I shall keep it in mind and request a trial version from my DME. They loan me masks for a week; except they're a long drive away.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
The catch is, the F30 is trying to seal against a very complex shape. Getting the straps adjusted right is finicky, so it takes some patience. A Sharpie is also very helpful, so you can mark the strap positions as you get it dialed in.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you @dahogs @DaveL @ragtopcircus

All of your info is very helpful. I've found a local DME that advertises in-store fitting and in-home trial so I will look at the F20 and F30. I'll report my results here.

thanks again!
PT
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-21-2019, 08:53 PM)PillowTalk Wrote: . . .

Looking for any recommendations for an alternative. The choice of masks is somewhat intimidating and my insurance-supplied sleep coach has been of limited help.

Thanks!
PT

Hi PT,
Adding a vote for the F&P Simplus.  I started therapy in 2014 with a Resmed Quatro, and found it finicky to control leaks.  I switched to the Simplus via Supplier #26, who had and still has an excellent return/exchange policy, and have used it happily ever since.  I also use the Remzzz mask liners, and like them also.  The Simplus has a sizing template (a .pdf document, so it prints correctly, regardless of printer).
A.Becker
PAPing in NE Ohio, with a pack of Cairn terriers
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks @becker44a!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Novel alternative to tape? HalfAsleep 3 190 10 hours ago
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Dreamwear vs P30i Whacked 0 124 04-09-2024, 11:28 AM
Last Post: Whacked
Question Are there alternative straps out there for masks that does not slide off? hejohoo 5 536 04-03-2024, 03:09 PM
Last Post: hejohoo
  Alternative Therapy to CPAP (Nasal Breathing) Wcwilson 1 210 03-07-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Dreamwear frame sizing ahuman 3 370 02-23-2024, 05:21 PM
Last Post: Nightynite
  Dreamwear Philips Respironics mask altrout 12 879 02-12-2024, 03:04 PM
Last Post: tbhausen
  Philips DreamWear FFM mask size question cps22 0 350 11-09-2023, 02:33 PM
Last Post: cps22

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.