Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] anyone make fx last longer (wears out in 1 wk)
Surprised 
anyone make fx last longer (wears out in 1 wk)
Has anyone figured out how to make the fx nasal pillow last longer? I cleanse my oily face before each use and the nasal pillow after each use but still only lasts a wk before collapsing and smothering me. Insurance only pays for a new one every 3 mo. getting expensive.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: anyone make fx last longer (wears out in 1 wk)
(07-10-2012, 12:41 AM)bevest1 Wrote: Insurance only pays for a new one every 3 mo. getting expensive.
My Activa LT nasal mask cushion can last up to six months before replacing.
Its said you,re allowed two pairs of pillows replacement per month
http://www.healthcare.philips.com/pwc_hc..._Hints.pdf
Welcome

Post Reply Post Reply
Most insurance plans cover replacement "pillows" every 2 weeks and the mask itself every 3 months.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't know just how long my ResMed Swift LT pillows would last. I've never had to replace them due to failure. I do replace them (nearly) twice a month (every two weeks), as recommended.

Most Insurance Co's normally will pay for:
pillows--- replacements two per month
mask ---- part (plastic+tube) every three months
head gear---stretchy straps with velcro & snaps...every 6 months
Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is a mystery; Today is a gift; Thats why its called "The Present".  
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-10-2012, 12:41 AM)bevest1 Wrote: Has anyone figured out how to make the fx nasal pillow last longer? I cleanse my oily face before each use and the nasal pillow after each use but still only lasts a wk before collapsing and smothering me. Insurance only pays for a new one every 3 mo. getting expensive.

What are you washing them in?

Like others, I too have never worn one out. Medicare regs, which are followed by most US insurance companies, call for replacement every two weeks, but the last one I used lasted two months.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My Resmed nasal pillows last about 2 or 3 weeks, then I get so many leaks that they wake me up all night. I have been told they are good for 6 months. My provider checked with the company to see if there is anything else I can do to make them last longer. The answer was no, just regular cleaning in soap and water. I have no coverage for them, and at $40.00 a pop, I am not impressed. They did suggest that I not apply facial lotion around my nose, but it made no difference. I am going in this week to see if I can get a different kind of mask...thinking of a gel nasal mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
My Breeze pillows last over 3 months. The pair I have now are on month 4. I have another set, just keep forgetting to change them!

So if yours are not lasting that long, either you are washing them too hard or in something corrosive. What do you use to wash your face?

PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-10-2012, 12:41 AM)bevest1 Wrote: Has anyone figured out how to make the fx nasal pillow last longer? I cleanse my oily face before each use and the nasal pillow after each use but still only lasts a wk before collapsing and smothering me. Insurance only pays for a new one every 3 mo. getting expensive.

When you say the pillow collapses, what do you mean? If the pillows are too tight, they WILL colapse, but that shouldn't be a problem. You can pop that pick out, then loosen the straps. Be sure, also, that the pillow is the right size for you. You may need to try a smaller size.

If by collapse, you mean the silicone disintegrates or tears, then something corrosive has to be in contact with them.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm still using my FX pillows from almost two years ago. I wash them in soap and water, they show no signs of wear....go figure?!?!?
--==<< old, experienced, but still curious >>==--
Post Reply Post Reply
My first set of pillows lasted about 18 months, and I'm now 6 months into the second set.
I often use a face washer and water to give them a rub just before going to bed.
They get washed in baby shampoo every week or so and when I start to get problems I give them a boil for about 15 minutes with a teaspoon of BiCarb of Soda and then plunge them into cold water. The BiCarb is required to cut the absorbed oil. I do this about every 3 months and it doesn't hurt them.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Not sure what to make of my OSCAR data Machinist 3 183 03-10-2024, 09:14 PM
Last Post: Machinist
  Can someone help me make sense of my Therapy Numbers? kc90 6 335 02-21-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: kc90
Idea Tell me how you've Modified your P10 to make it VENT more Hydrangea 47 6,355 01-13-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: her.suit
Exclaimation SSRI's Can Make it Worse.. AlaskanJaeger 3 542 12-17-2023, 11:57 AM
Last Post: tiredpanda
  Can you make anything of my home test results? vanillagorilla 2 381 12-04-2023, 11:12 PM
Last Post: vanillagorilla
  Being overweight - make a big difference? p123 6 1,810 11-03-2023, 04:41 PM
Last Post: Cpapian
  [Treatment] Help me make sense of OSCAR data hexecution 4 627 10-11-2023, 12:25 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.