Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] bad Anew Odor - AFTER washing!! Help!
Exclaimation 
bad Anew Odor - AFTER washing!! Help!
I've had my anew mask for over a year. (preface: I only wash my mask every few days because I'm tired and lazy) During the last couple of months, I've noticed after washing my mask, it has an odor I can only describe as -puke- for a night or two. I have changed my washing soap 3 times. I have used all of these soaps in the past with every mask I've had and never had a problem. So sad!! I just can't bare it any more. Haven't slept with my apap on in 2 nights. I miss it! I'm going to have to put on my old plastic mask with the cracked cushion.

Any advice????

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: bad Anew Odor - AFTER washing!! Help!
My 2 cents: get a new Sleepweaver Anew mask. A year is too long on a cloth mask.
And I only wash my plastic mask about once a month -- but I replace the cushion often.
(i.e.: If this were a laziness contest, I'd win.)
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok, you win! Glad I'm not the only one.
You're right, I do need to replace it. Just don't know when I will have the money (insurance - LOL). So I'm hoping to find something to help in the mean time....

Obviously my cushion needs replacing as well...money...maybe I can tape it up for now??
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Illisidi,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I would strongly consider getting a new mask. Even if you tape up your old one, it won't last and having tape on it might interfere with the mask working as well as it should.
Hang in there for more suggestions and much success to you with getting a new mask and with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Man -- I should probably think 'bout pulling my mask and hose off and washing them. It's been like 6 months now. I did throw the tank in the dishwasher last week.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
If no money for a new one, I'd try different cleaning solutions. Perhaps vinegar? And if it will take it, soaking it in hydrogen peroxide for a few hours will destroy any deeply imbedded pathogens possibly causing orders (much less caustic than bleach, but gets the same job done).
-Ailu
Reformed CPAP Outlaw
Post Reply Post Reply
From the circadiance website:
13. How do I clean the SleepWeaver Anew Mask?
The mask can be cleaned by hand washing using mild non-abrasive detergent in cold or warm water. Be sure to rinse the mask well after washing. *HANG DRY ONLY (Do NOT dry Mask in Dryer)
Also, when a question was posted as to how long the mask would last. The answer was that it is only warranted 90 days.

The mask is made of cloth, just like anything else, without proper care, it will pick up oders and you can't get rid of them. This is your health, do you really want to keep breathing that in every night???

You asked for advice......so find a way to buy a new mask. Online suppliers always have deals, and if you call them, they sometimes give you an even lower price.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-23-2015, 07:37 AM)Ailu Wrote: And if it will take it, soaking it in hydrogen peroxide for a few hours will destroy any deeply imbedded pathogens possibly causing orders (much less caustic than bleach, but gets the same job done).

Well to be technical Hydrogen Peroxide is a bleach. It's not as corrosive as the other most used compound in household bleaches, Sodium Hypochlorite, and it's a poorer oxidizer.

I use Hydrogen Peroxide bleach in water along with a drop or two of household dish-washing detergent both to clean my mask and the reservoir of the humidifier. It has very little smell as compared to the other common hypochlorite bleach, but you need to use it in higher concentration because it's a weaker oxidizer.

Sodium Hypochlorite, however, smells terrible and I don't want to breath that odor from my water reservoir.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
About a year ago my insurance company changed suppliers on me and the full face mask I'm now getting is a Drive brand with a silicon (I think) rubber cushion that pulls right off. I too am just a touch lazy but also a creature of habit. I finally found that the best way for me to keep a fresh mask that didn't smell like an old pacifier is to pull the cushion off every morning as soon as I get up and, when I wash my hands, go ahead and wash the cushion. It might add 30 or 45 seconds to the process and it's the ONLY approach that works for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use a SoClean sanitizer. It has been fantastic, it really keeps everything super clean.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] water chamber strong plastic odor twdc33 2 384 01-24-2024, 10:19 AM
Last Post: twdc33
  Washing gear in bleach? bbbl67 10 929 02-12-2023, 03:01 AM
Last Post: bbbl67
  [Equipment] New mask odor Thicks 5 923 12-19-2022, 10:26 PM
Last Post: SevereApnea
  How to quickly dry hose and tank after washing in bucket? pkersey 12 1,719 09-05-2022, 09:02 PM
Last Post: NValtman11
Gross Odd odor from repaired CPAP (motor blower Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset) Suggestions? UncollapseMeThroat 8 1,781 09-03-2021, 03:26 PM
Last Post: mrmagloo
  How to get rid of odor from not having water in humidifier? vroomvroom 3 1,025 10-28-2020, 12:38 PM
Last Post: mesenteria
  Carcadiance Sleepweaver Anew full face mask optimalsleep 3 1,005 09-23-2020, 02:38 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.