Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

SSRI's effect on sleep
SSRI's effect on sleep
I know this isn't apnea related, but wondering if anyone else has had negative experiences with SSRI's (Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors)?  I am taking Lexapro because I told my doctor that I was having anxiety about not being able to get enough sleep.  I am not having any negative side effects that I can pinpoint, but I am waking up multiple times a night and wondering if SSRI's could possibly be relevant.

Has anyone else had sleep issues with SSRI's?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: SSRI's effect on sleep
SSRIs can and do affect sleep. I've never taken laxapro, but I have taken others in the past. A quick google will show you that insomnia and sleep disturbance is a potential side-effect of lexapro.

Generally, SSRI related side-effects start to subside after a period of continued use. If the side-effects don't subside or affect you adversely you can either switch to another SSRI or you can usually be prescribed something to help mitigate the effect - in this case insomnia.

I would personally try to improve my sleep hygene and possibly take sleep aids before switching SSRIs. Switching involves weaning and ramping up to the new medication and you have no guarantee you won't have insomnia on the new med, or other side-effects.

Good luck with it!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: SSRI's effect on sleep
I take valdoxan, it kills 2 birds with one stone. Both mood and sleep clock is treated. sleep hygiene is still very important
http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/dep...omelatine/
"Agomelatine mimics the action of melatonin and helps to re-synchronise the body’s circadian rhythms. These include mood, anxiety, appetite, body temperature and sleep/wake cycles. These circadian rhythms, particularly sleep cycles, are severely disturbed in people with depression. Agomelatine’s main action is to improve the onset and quality of sleep and this in turn has an antidepressant effect."
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 166 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 209 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
Exclaimation SSRI's Can Make it Worse.. AlaskanJaeger 3 564 12-17-2023, 11:57 AM
Last Post: tiredpanda
  Inconsistent Sleep Patterns and Confusing Sleep Studies - Please Review mperry99 17 1,363 10-14-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mperry99
  [Diagnosis] Sleep deprivation vs sleep apnea - my therapy thread JRNfromAZ 2 808 08-01-2023, 02:43 PM
Last Post: JRNfromAZ
  Severe central apnea as side effect of Brilinta Remfan 9 1,625 06-02-2023, 04:51 PM
Last Post: Ivy woods
Question Increase in AHI after starting SSRI cupcakechinchilla 5 543 04-25-2023, 05:24 PM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.