[Equipment] bipap auto b-flex
vsheline Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: S9 VPAP Adapt (USA Model# 36007, not better 36037 or 36067)
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F10 or SimPlus w/ 2Liners. MirageQuatro & Gecko gel pad
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 15 EPAP, PS 5-10
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: Marfan Syndrome, chronic bradycardia, occasional Cheyne-Stokes Respiration

Sex: Male

RE: bipap auto b-flex
Hi deeprather,

The higher the Pressure Support (PS) is, the easier it is to breath in and out.

Pressure Support is the boost in pressure which takes us from the low pressure used during exhalation (EPAP), to the higher pressure used during inhalation (IPAP).

When we start to inhale a "bilevel" machine like yours boosts the pressure (adds Pressure Support) and this helps us fill our lungs more easily. As inhalation ends, PS ends, and the drop back to a lower pressure makes it easier to exhale. A drop in pressure during exhalation is sometimes called Exhalation Pressure Relief or "Expiration Pressure Relief" (EPR). PS and EPR are like like two sides of the same coin.

So, a higher PS will make it easier, both during inhalation (during the pressure boost) and during exhalation (during the pressure drop) to breathe in and out.

I suggest setting the Min PS to 2 or higher. But I suggest not increasing the Min PS setting by more than 1 per night , because it may take a night or two to get used to the feeling of having a higher Min PS.

Also, as was mentioned, it sometimes helps (makes it easier to breathe in and out) if we use a larger size nasal pillow.

Also, because it is common that when the pressure is too low this makes us feel like we are getting too little air, it sometimes helps to increase both the Min EPAP and Max IPAP pressures, together, by 1 or 2 each. This increases the pressure without changing PS.

Take care,
--- Vaughn

Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment. The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies - not on matters concerning treatment for Sleep Apnea. I think it is now too late to change the name of the group but I think Voting Member group would perhaps have been a more descriptive name for the group.
(This post was last modified: 09-16-2015 08:28 AM by vsheline.)
09-16-2015 03:21 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
deeprather Offline

Members

Machine: Respironics
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: philips respironics
Humidifier: philips respironics
CPAP Pressure: max ps 3.0
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: need help understanding all the settings and changing pressure on my bipap

Sex: Female
RE: bipap auto b-flex
(09-16-2015 03:21 AM)vsheline Wrote:  Hi deeprather,

The higher the Pressure Support (PS) is, the easier it is to breath in and out.

Pressure Support is the boost in pressure which takes us from the low pressure used during exhalation (EPAP), to the higher pressure used during inhalation (IPAP).

When we start to inhale a "bilevel" machine like yours boosts the pressure (adds Pressure Support) and this helps us fill our lungs more easily. As inhalation ends, PS ends, and the drop back to a lower pressure makes it easier to exhale. A drop in pressure during exhalation is sometimes called Exhalation Pressure Relief or "Expiration Pressure Relief" (EPR). PS and EPR are like like two sides of the same coin.

So, a higher PS will make it easier, both during inhalation (during the pressure boost) and during exhalation (during the pressure drop) to breathe in and out.

I suggest setting the Min PS to 2 or higher. But I suggest not increasing the Min PS setting by more than 1 per night , because it may take a night or two to get used to the feeling of having a higher Min PS.

Also, as was mentioned, it sometimes helps (makes it easier to breathe in and out) if we use a larger size nasal pillow.

Also, because it is common that when the pressure is too low this makes us feel like we are getting too little air, it sometimes helps to increase both the Min EPAP and Max IPAP pressures, together, by 1 or 2 each. This increases the pressure without changing PS.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
Vaughn - thank you so much - I will try that tonight - I really do appreciate everyones help and very happy I found the website. You guys are awesome!
Deeprather
09-16-2015 02:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  philips remstar auto a-flex skylersdad 2 152 11-29-2016 05:47 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  New User Problem with BiPAP AVAPS - Part 1 jmayer180 35 1,269 11-27-2016 09:50 AM
Last Post: jmayer180
  First time Bipap User, years of suffering SleepyMersim 18 630 11-16-2016 11:46 PM
Last Post: Galactus
Question BiPAP vs EPR/Flex etc? SleepyBee 7 262 11-13-2016 08:52 PM
Last Post: Galactus
  [Equipment] Annoying on/off beep on Respironics BIPAP S/T C series rcattell 8 338 11-06-2016 12:07 PM
Last Post: rcattell
  [CPAP] Setting up this auto a-flex is really intimidating. SierraMadreMe 6 375 10-27-2016 04:25 AM
Last Post: SierraMadreMe
  Flex settings and hypopneas KSMatthew 4 512 10-21-2016 09:47 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider