Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] bipap auto b-flex
RE: bipap auto b-flex
Hi deeprather,

The higher the Pressure Support (PS) is, the easier it is to breath in and out.

Pressure Support is the boost in pressure which takes us from the low pressure used during exhalation (EPAP), to the higher pressure used during inhalation (IPAP).

When we start to inhale a "bilevel" machine like yours boosts the pressure (adds Pressure Support) and this helps us fill our lungs more easily. As inhalation ends, PS ends, and the drop back to a lower pressure makes it easier to exhale. A drop in pressure during exhalation is sometimes called Exhalation Pressure Relief or "Expiration Pressure Relief" (EPR). PS and EPR are like like two sides of the same coin.

So, a higher PS will make it easier, both during inhalation (during the pressure boost) and during exhalation (during the pressure drop) to breathe in and out.

I suggest setting the Min PS to 2 or higher. But I suggest not increasing the Min PS setting by more than 1 per night , because it may take a night or two to get used to the feeling of having a higher Min PS.

Also, as was mentioned, it sometimes helps (makes it easier to breathe in and out) if we use a larger size nasal pillow.

Also, because it is common that when the pressure is too low this makes us feel like we are getting too little air, it sometimes helps to increase both the Min EPAP and Max IPAP pressures, together, by 1 or 2 each. This increases the pressure without changing PS.

Take care,
--- Vaughn

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: bipap auto b-flex
(09-16-2015, 03:21 AM)vsheline Wrote: Hi deeprather,

The higher the Pressure Support (PS) is, the easier it is to breath in and out.

Pressure Support is the boost in pressure which takes us from the low pressure used during exhalation (EPAP), to the higher pressure used during inhalation (IPAP).

When we start to inhale a "bilevel" machine like yours boosts the pressure (adds Pressure Support) and this helps us fill our lungs more easily. As inhalation ends, PS ends, and the drop back to a lower pressure makes it easier to exhale. A drop in pressure during exhalation is sometimes called Exhalation Pressure Relief or "Expiration Pressure Relief" (EPR). PS and EPR are like like two sides of the same coin.

So, a higher PS will make it easier, both during inhalation (during the pressure boost) and during exhalation (during the pressure drop) to breathe in and out.

I suggest setting the Min PS to 2 or higher. But I suggest not increasing the Min PS setting by more than 1 per night , because it may take a night or two to get used to the feeling of having a higher Min PS.

Also, as was mentioned, it sometimes helps (makes it easier to breathe in and out) if we use a larger size nasal pillow.

Also, because it is common that when the pressure is too low this makes us feel like we are getting too little air, it sometimes helps to increase both the Min EPAP and Max IPAP pressures, together, by 1 or 2 each. This increases the pressure without changing PS.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
Vaughn - thank you so much - I will try that tonight - I really do appreciate everyones help and very happy I found the website. You guys are awesome!
Deeprather
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 259 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  My inspiratory time is higher than expiratory on Auto S Bipap Stubert 3 381 02-01-2024, 09:27 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Auto BiPAP fixed PS vs Auto PS - pros and cons? Stubert 5 585 01-09-2024, 02:29 AM
Last Post: Stubert
  bipap Innisfree 2 421 12-12-2023, 07:00 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Help with bipap Al N 7 697 09-14-2023, 06:15 PM
Last Post: Al N
  Dry mouth with Resmed 11 auto, not with S9 auto? pumpkln 3 597 09-13-2023, 12:46 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Breas Z2 Auto Portable Auto-CPAP Machine Package kbingel 9 3,004 08-18-2023, 07:10 PM
Last Post: Txgeodigger

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.